Best bang-for-buck filterless air purifier and full spectrum lighting

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Best bang-for-buck air purifier (prefer filterless) and full spectrum lighting

I have an old Honeywell air purifier, but to change the filter, I have to take the whole thing outside. Once opened, it looks like it got hit by a severe winter storm. At the slightest vibration, the Honeywell snows bird dander everywhere. I'm sure the Starks would insist on checking it for White Walkers and wights.

It would be nice to have an air purifier that doesn't need filter changes, but if such filters are out of my price range, I would settle for anything that works well without breaking the bank.

I've got a Kizzy Planā„¢. It involves moving my bed to the living room and allowing Kizzy to occupy at least half of my bedroom. Her cage and play area will be situated by the window.She'll be able to look outside or retreat to her cage in the corner depending on the situation and her mood.

The other half of the bedroom will be my work area: computer, music equipment; arts and crafts, etc. I'll need good lighting for both Kizzy and me. I plan to hang transparent shower curtains between the Kizzy half of the room and my half. I'll need air purifiers / filters to control bird dander. I'll also need some kind of tree or play area for Kizzy on my side of the divide. She needs to feel like part of the family at all times. She'll needs Kizzy places in the living room, too.

The bed? It's going in the living room behind some privacy curtains.

For this to work, I need air purifiers and good, strong lighting.

Feel free to suggest items for the play area. I've already bought a grate I'll suspend from the ceiling. I'll hang some long "wacky perches" horizontally from it, along with a lot of toys. I also want a cargo net between her cage and the wall at a 45 degree angle. I've seen videos of Amazons going crazy on those things. She definitely needs one. Her climbing skills are finally improving.

If you can think of other ways to make Kizzy very, very happy at home, I'm open to suggestions.

I plan to make her very happy away from home, as well. She'll be going almost everywhere with me in her Pak-o-Bird while we continue harness training. I've resigned myself to the fact that Kizzy is going to be quite difficult to harness-train. I'll socialize her using the Pak-o-Bird. Once The Kizzy Planā„¢ has taken effect, we can have visitors.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
what I've heard some people do for a cheaper more cost effective air purifier is to get an ordinary fan and stick a filter onto the back of it on the intake. then whenever the filter gets clogged they go outside and hose it down to get the dust and dander off. Although I'm not sure how effective the filter is after that

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Air Purifier by its very action requires a filter. The difficulty in changing that filter is a statement of appearance based design over function. The cost is always a problem since each manufacturer believes they have the best, most effective filter. That in combination with the small number of users mixed with a bit of greed gets to a price that is anywhere from expensive to outrageous. Look for units with an easy to change filler.

Lighting, into days understanding that light bulbs and tubes only provide 'light' not healing 'rays' allows an honest evaluation of the choices available. The goal is to provide what is understood as bright sunlight at high-noon. There are several terms that are popular and all mean the same thing: bright sunlight at high-noon. A couple of examples: Wide Spectrum Light and Day Light.

At present, the safest, and less costly to operate and install is the LED light bulb. As with standard light bulbs, the bulb cannot exceed the maximum 'watt' specification of the fixture. i.e. if the fixture states maximum Wattage (or Watts) 60 watts, do not exceed that watt size. LED's do not product their 'heat' on the bulb surface, but on the base, which can quickly over heat a fixture if a high Watt bulb is used.

The fact that LED bulbs use less electricity by Watt is true! They are now available in a much wider cross-section of styles and Wattage to easy their use.

When using Day Light LED bulbs (or like name) it is very important to remember to reduce lighting in the evening as use can reset ones day /night functions, which can lead to problems sleeping. A combination of shutting-off lights and/or using dimmer will help.

FYI: Filter Cleaning - only use methods that support the type of filter being used. Never place 'dry' filters in water. Screen style filters can use water to clean, but check instructions first (window style Air Conditioners commonly use screen style filters that are designed to be used with water to clean them).

Last edited:

AirPurie

Oct 2, 2017
Re: Best bang-for-buck air purifier (prefer filterless) and full spectrum lighting

I have an old Honeywell air purifier, but to change the filter, I have to take the whole thing outside. Once opened, it looks like it got hit by a severe winter storm. At the slightest vibration, the Honeywell snows bird dander everywhere. I'm sure the Starks would insist on checking it for White Walkers and wights.

It would be nice to have an air purifier that doesn't need filter changes, but if such filters are out of my price range, I would settle for anything that works well without breaking the bank.

I've got a Kizzy Planā„¢. It involves moving my bed to the living room and allowing Kizzy to occupy at least half of my bedroom. Her cage and play area will be situated by the window.She'll be able to look outside or retreat to her cage in the corner depending on the situation and her mood.

The other half of the bedroom will be my work area: computer, music equipment; arts and crafts, etc. I'll need good lighting for both Kizzy and me. I plan to hang transparent shower curtains between the Kizzy half of the room and my half. I'll need air purifiers / filters to control bird dander. I'll also need some kind of tree or play area for Kizzy on my side of the divide. She needs to feel like part of the family at all times. She'll needs Kizzy places in the living room, too.

Feel free to suggest items for the play area. I've already bought a grate I'll suspend from the ceiling. I'll hang some long "wacky perches" horizontally from it, along with a lot of toys. I also want a cargo net between her cage and the wall at a 45 degree angle. I've seen videos of Amazons going crazy on those things. She definitely needs one. Her climbing skills are finally improving.

If you can think of other ways to make Kizzy very, very happy at home, I'm open to suggestions.

I plan to make her very happy away from home, as well. She'll be going almost everywhere with me in her Pak-o-Bird while we continue harness training. I've resigned myself to the fact that Kizzy is going to be quite difficult to harness-train. I'll socialize her using the Pak-o-Bird. Once The Kizzy Planā„¢ has taken effect, we can have visitors.

Thanks in advance.
I know that using a air purifier that needs frequent filter changes can be mind boggling at times.Some people prefer acquiring an ordinary fan and then attaching a filter onto its back then once it clogs they dust it off in the open. I ever tried this and honestly, it wasn't my thing. Lucky me, I met a friend who referred me to https://comparily.com/best-air-purifier-for-allergies/.On visiting them, I got spoilt for choices,needless to say,all my worries flew away, for good. Well, I can just re-refer you as well.Trust me,their air purifiers are just perfect and as is your wish, they won't break your bank. Thank me later.

Cheers!

AirPurie

Oct 2, 2017
Re: Best bang-for-buck air purifier (prefer filterless) and full spectrum lighting

Thanks in advance.
I know that using a air purifier that needs frequent filter changes can be mind boggling at times.Some people prefer acquiring an ordinary fan and then attaching a filter onto its back then once it clogs they dust it off in the open. I ever tried this and honestly, it wasn't my thing. Lucky me, I met a friend who referred me to https://comparily.com/best-air-purifier-for-allergies/ . On visiting them, I got spoilt for choices,needless to say,all my worries flew away, for good. Well, I can just re-refer you as well.Trust me,their air purifiers are just perfect and as is your wish, they won't break your bank. Thank me later.

Cheers!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have 3 of these (for our open concept main living space/loft/office)-
https://www.surroundair.com/multi-tech-xj3000c/

And one of these in the bathroom-
https://www.surroundair.com/multi-tech-8400/

Kind of overkill in under 1000 sq feet (we wanted to be able to space them out, as the layout of our condo is very weird and one large unit probably wouldn't work) but the previous owners had cats and there's possibly something else I'm allergic to in here. For all the cleaning and dusting I do, these things STILL suck up an incredible amount of dust I can't even fathom where it comes from! I vacuum a noticeable layer of dust and the occasional picker (down feather) off the front of the filters at least once a week. They definitely do a good job and aren't eye wateringly expensive. Filter and UV sanitizer have to be replaced annually, you can even stretch it more if you vacuum the large particulates off the front of the filter every once in a while. Just a word to the wise, the bigger units have a "sanitize" feature bird owners shouldn't use as it produces a little ozone which can be bad for birds. But that can be kept shut off.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
FYI: Filter Cleaning - only use methods that support the type of filter being used. Never place 'dry' filters in water. Screen style filters can use water to clean, but check instructions first (window style Air Conditioners commonly use screen style filters that are designed to be used with water to clean them).

Avoid anything dedicated as an air purifier with a "screen style" filter (but I think those only exist as an auxiliary filter in things like A/C, dehumidifiers etc..?). They just don't do the same amount of filtering as a HEPA one and seem to only be designed to catch large particles! Our dehumidifier began malfunctioning recently and has one of those "rinse it off once in a while" style mesh filters we clean once a week or so. Upon opening it, it was so dusty inside some of the electrical connections couldn't work right anymore, despite diligent maintenance of the filter meant to keep that from happening. It took my husband hours to find exactly which connection was dirty to get it functioning again.

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.

I'm in the process of probably having to move into my mother's house to care for her. Moving into her place is the best option for now. Problem, she smokes. I am going to be buying an air purifier or two in order for me, others & my birds to be able to breathe. We've been taking turns sleeping at her place until a more permanent solution can be found. I cannot tolerate the cigarette smoke nor can some others. I think I've found a good one; rabbit air. My son bought one because he has horrible allergies and the reviews I've read from others who've bought the one for cigarette smoke have good reviews.
I'm just curious about what all one has to worry about when it comes to birds. I think ozone is one, which this looks good for. What about using essential oils? I know I've read both good & bed.
Thank you for any help. Here's a link to the comparison of the purifiers.
https://www.rabbitair.com/pages/minusa2-air-purifier-compare#prod

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts