Big trip in 4 days! Hawaii!!!

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
I'm leaving my animals for 2 weeks in 4 days...that is the longest I have ever left them. I'm so anxious about it!! I'm leaving a small novel of emergency procedures, multiple vet numbers, poisonous foods, tons of other numbers, feeding stuff, favorite things, so much stuff. And I'm really simplifying it for the sitter!! Hahahaha. What is something you guys do to prepare for a trip?

Also I'm going to be on Oahu and I would love to dedicate a day to the parrot community there. Thinking about going to the HFFN meeting? Suggestions??

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I'm jealous!
And no help as I only go away once or twice a year for more than a day or two. And I'm a nervous wreck the whole time. Despite the fact my friend probably does a better job than I do...

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I'd be no help either with suggestions, I haven't been a trip in close to three years (oh well), but it sounds like your'e on the right track.

And it would be a great idea to stop by that group's meeting! I wish I could be there (and been there the last few months) but work has me working the openings on Sunday. It's really fun to go to and to interact with all of the birds!

If your'e interested, Sea Life Park recently-ish opened up an aviary full of cockatiels, lovebirds, and budgies! But make sure you take a bunch of pics :D

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I'm leaving my animals for 2 weeks in 4 days...that is the longest I have ever left them. I'm so anxious about it!! I'm leaving a small novel of emergency procedures, multiple vet numbers, poisonous foods, tons of other numbers, feeding stuff, favorite things, so much stuff. And I'm really simplifying it for the sitter!! Hahahaha. What is something you guys do to prepare for a trip?

Also I'm going to be on Oahu and I would love to dedicate a day to the parrot community there. Thinking about going to the HFFN meeting? Suggestions??

I know how you feel! we are going on our honeymoon in october and I am a mess worrying about Kyo. She loves nanny's house and we got her a new cage for there (the living room cage) so that My mom can change her food and water without her escaping, but I'm still so scared that she'll get out and mom won't be able to get her back in. She will only accept bribes to a point…

anyways, have fun on your trip!!! And share lots of pictures!

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
I'd be no help either with suggestions, I haven't been a trip in close to three years (oh well), but it sounds like your'e on the right track.

And it would be a great idea to stop by that group's meeting! I wish I could be there (and been there the last few months) but work has me working the openings on Sunday. It's really fun to go to and to interact with all of the birds!

If your'e interested, Sea Life Park recently-ish opened up an aviary full of cockatiels, lovebirds, and budgies! But make sure you take a bunch of pics :D

Aaahhhh!!! I'll be going to Sea Life park so I definitely will be visiting that aviary!

This is the first vacation I have had in yyyyyeeeeaaaarrrrrssss. I was born in Hawaii so we are visiting family and friend we haven't seen in almost 20 years!! So excited!!! I will def share tons of pictures :D.

My original plan was to leave Espresso with Chris but we recently broke up sooooo :(. All of this planning is very last minute!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
How exciting! I'd LOVE to see Hawaii again. I was there a couple times as a kid. I have some distant relatives there, but VERY distant lol. It's on the bucket list :).

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. Oahu? Are you going to more than one island? I'm sure it will all work out with Espresso :).

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I do exactly what you did..write a novel. I can't provide enough info, I even write down car and renters insurance policy numbers. And I leave a credit card for pet emergencies. It's hard for me to relax when I go away. My sitter is awesome though.have fun in Hawaii !!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Come to the meeeeeeeting!!! You must you must you MUST! It's Sunday! Betsy Lott of Mollywood is coming! Special location! Pm me your email or phone or whatever and I'll help you out :) if you want of course :) and for the record, no, I did not look up the spellings of any of the names I just used, sorry if they are wrong :)

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Just Oahu. We were going to try to go for the Big Island as well but we figured it would be less stressful to just stick with one island. I'm sure Espresso will be juuuust fine! still totally nervous though!

Leaving a credit card is a great idea!! I might just do that! It will be very hard for me to relax....

I will probably be there! I'm looking to see if it is even feasible distance-wise but I will definitely pm you my contact info if I go!! I really hope I can make it

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Sorry to hear about the breakup :(

You need the trip then.
Try not to worry and trust that it's ONLY a short time. :)

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
It might help to let your vets know that you are going to be out of town. Or sign a paper allowing the sitter to approve vet care while you are gone.

I wrote pages of instructions and had copies for family members as well. Friends knew who were taking care of my fids and cats. Everyone had each other's phone numbers in case there were any problems.

Everything was fine. Enjoy your trip.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Lucky you! I am sure that Espresso will be just fine:) Where are you staying on Oahu?

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
Have fun if you go to one of the HFF meetings! I have yet to go to one but perhaps one day I'll get around to it :)

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
The break up was for the best. Still sucks but it is what it is. 2 weeks feels like foreeeevvverrrrrrr!!!

I let my regular vet know that I'll be gone. I still need to contact the emergency vet as well.

Sure she will be fine but I might die of stress!!! Hahaha. I'll be staying in Waikiki

It is looking pretty unlikely but I really hope I can make it! Fingers crossed I can make it happen!!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
When I leave I call my vet (24 hr) and inform them of my absence, leave a credit card on file, and authorize my pet sitter to use it and to make the choices if I cannot be reached.

Will you have a car? The drive from Waikiki to the meeting shouldn't be more than maybe 30 minutes, and we will be having quite the guest speaker. No pressure ;) we might even be able to find you a ride.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Brittany, I hope your trip to Hawaii is amazing and I hope you enjoy every single second! It sounds like you made excellent arrangements for your animals, I know you'll worry, but try not to worry too much.

Looking forward to photos and updates! Have Fun!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Have a great trip, I liked the Big Island most of all. Silver sage's advise is great -- there's another thread where someone bird was sick after boarding, so maybe you can look into a reputable boarder (that requires vet checks beforehand), if that's available in your area? When we took a trip to Denver shortly after getting her my Mom kept our GCC for like 4 nights, and she was just fine for it....I probably sounded so annoying harping on about all the things to be mindful for tho' ... there's another big trip (like 10 or so days) we're taking to SEA, I'm trying to be confident that she'll be cared for well with Mom during that time, too.

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
That is a solid idea. I'll look into that today for sure! I think we will have a car?? We have all been so busy leading up to this trip (last night alone was a complete nightmare at the wildlife center! Emergency after emergency after emergency) that we haven't had any time to solidify anything beyond a place to stay and plane tickets! Hahaha. It is about 25 minutes from where I'll be im more worried about impending on family plans. Do they need me to rsvp or anything?

Thank you thank you! I'm sure I will have a splendid time...maybe I just need to add a few more pages to my instruction manual to feel better :D

We were going to go to the Big Island as well but nope. I went there as a kid and it was wonderful! I have looked into boarding in the area and it is all terrible. One place is a grungy pet shop and one is a rescue that follows 0 quarantine procedures and refused to cover my bird or feed her her fresh food. My sitter doesn't have previous bird experience but it is someone I trust much more than them. Thankfully, Espresso is stick trained so she can be moved even in sassy bird mode

OP
Bandespresso

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
So far a wonderful trip!! We saw sea turtles already and I'm getting ready to head to the HFFN meeting in an hour. Espresso is being a good girl so far :D

141k1uv.jpg

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wonderful to hear! Beautiful photo! Be safe and keep having fun!

Most Reactions

Latest posts