bird choices, not sure what to do

singnsista

Jun 24, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (blue male)
Sun Conure (taking home today)
Quaker (still being handfed)
As I stated in my new member intro "new insecure member", I am planning to get a parrotlet in a couple months, as the eyes have started hatching. As I researched more about other birds I found I really wanted to own a quaker. I talked with the breeder this week and she has 3 that she is currently syringe feeding, that should be available in 4 to 5 weeks to take home. She also mentioned she has a parrotlet that is 2 months old thst has not been adopted-out yet.

Not sure if I should stick with my original plan with the quaker added, which would mean i would be taking home the quaker one month before bringing home the parrotlet but the greatest difference is I would have several weeks of bonding time with this parrotlet prior to bringing it home. Or should I bring home this little guy ready for a home but has had no contact with me (though I'm concerned a little about how nippy he is even when the breeder handles him), and then bring home the quaker when he/she is ready.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
All birds have their issues, and just because they are so little p'lets are no exception to the rule. Some can be very demanding with their incessant chatter. I think the males are louder than the females. Ours nips only when she doesn't like something. And she stomps around like a lil dinosaur with her hackles up, cussing everyone out. They can be VERY territorial and have no problem confronting someone or an another animal when their space is infringed upon.

On the flip.... When socialized they are absolutely adorable, even when they are having a tantrum. My Kiwi loves to be handled, scratched, give kisses, and sit in your pocket. Hence the term "pocket parrot". She is a Velcro bird though, always wants to be the center of attention and to be on you. Not all P'lets are like this, but they can be. Personally I like a bird that likes to be with you but doesn't demand it. Mine demands it, but she is my daughters bird and my daughter doesn't seem to mind.

Quakers, I'm sure have their issues too, but I have no experience with them. I don't want to sway you in your decision, I just wanted to chime in here about the P'lets.

I have both a P'let and a Senegal, and they are both the same age 4mo. They tolerate each others presence, they will talk to each other, but are not friends. Even though my P'let is more confrontational than my Senegal, she is no match to my Senegal. My Sennie can take her out in an instant.

Most Reactions

Latest posts