Bird Farm ???

Lukask

Dec 9, 2011
Minnesota
Parrots
Luna- GCC, Stella- Caique
What do you guys think about this site? Birds For Sale

They have a huge array of birds for sale but I'm concerned that they may be a "bird mill". :/ Opinions?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Omg, I have been to that site soooo many times. I want to know if they are a bird mill too, and the name bird FARM doesn't do them justice.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I don't usually care for the giant breeders and at first their site struck me as "bird mill-esque" but after reading through it it doesn't sound too bad. You can go and check out their facility and they don't sell unweaned birds or force wean their babies. Is it possible for you to go there and see, that's the only way to know for sure, and try talking to people that adopted birds from them.

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Hmmm... They are close enough to me that I could probably go check them out one weekend... But I just read that they DO sell unweaned babies to "experienced hand feeders only..." Fishy.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hmmm... They are close enough to me that I could probably go check them out one weekend... But I just read that they DO sell unweaned babies to "experienced hand feeders only..." Fishy.

My breeder would be willing to sell me an unweaned baby Grey if she felt I was able to handle the feeding myself, it probably is a case of they make sure you know how to do it, prove it and then they'll make the sale. It saves them the trouble of doing it themselves (and so birds are usually cheaper) but most I know that do that won't risk the health of the baby and so will make sure the person is able to do it! :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
CAN I BUY AN UNWEANED BIRD IF I'VE NEVER HANDFED A BABY BIRD?

NO, please don't ask.

We will, however, be willing to teach you to hand feed, if you live in our area, or can visit us enough to learn to properly hand feed. When you are comfortable with hand feeding, and WE are comfortable with the way you are feeding, you may take your baby home.

***We will not sell unweaned Macaws to anyone who has not handfed a Macaw.

It is our opinion that handfeeding other birds is not like hand feeding a Macaw. You must have had experience specifically with a Macaw to purchase an unweaned one from us.

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Eva, a Green Cheek Conure Hatched March 4th, 2012.
It's fishy to me also. Who am I to say? The testimonies seem legitimate enough. It's just they are so pricey. Maybe that includes shipping also. I guess for a desperate person..... Who am I kidding? I think it's a crock!

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
CAN I BUY AN UNWEANED BIRD IF I'VE NEVER HANDFED A BABY BIRD?

NO, please don't ask.

We will, however, be willing to teach you to hand feed, if you live in our area, or can visit us enough to learn to properly hand feed. When you are comfortable with hand feeding, and WE are comfortable with the way you are feeding, you may take your baby home.

***We will not sell unweaned Macaws to anyone who has not handfed a Macaw.

It is our opinion that handfeeding other birds is not like hand feeding a Macaw. You must have had experience specifically with a Macaw to purchase an unweaned one from us.

Gotcha! Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
wow I just went on that site and it was worth it just to see the pictures of the different types of parrots. That yellow collard macaw sounds really interesting if I was a lot younger and hadn<t all ready told my daughter that she will be inhereting our qp and our canary if something happens to us. I think that would push her over the edge. Alison and sweetie pie:D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No he's not a "bird mill", he's a broker, he may breed a few birds but he appears to be a broker (buys from many breeders). They usually buy feathered babies at about 6-7 wks of age and handfeed them themselves.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
They have been around a long time. I've known of them, but, not bought from them, or know anyone who has. They have to be brokers to constantly have so many baby birds for sale.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I would never use them.....I put a down payment down on a severe macaw and never got my baby they took my money though!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I would never use them.....I put a down payment down on a severe macaw and never got my baby they took my money though!

There's got to be more to it than that. people don't stay in business for long periods of time and advertise nationally by screwing people out of their money.

Most Reactions