Bird Flu 2022

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi Everyone, I just wanted to tell everyone to be careful with their feathered friends with the bird flu going around. I've came across a few sad articles about bald eagles dying from this.

I am not sure who does, or doesn't bring their parrots outside. I just don't want anyone to lose their feathered friend due to this flu.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi: I just talked about this under the Quaker forum, the thread entitled : dingleberry. Took my clipped bird outside on a rare warm day and he was startled and flew; landed on the ground 10 ft away.

It wasnā€™t near a bird feeder or anywhere Iā€™ve seen hardly any birds, so Iā€™m just not going to worry about this incident, but I think we wonā€™t be going outside in the near future. Itā€™s too bad; itā€™s finally warm out after 6 months of cold.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Hi: I just talked about this under the Quaker forum, the thread entitled : dingleberry. Took my clipped bird outside on a rare warm day and he was startled and flew; landed on the ground 10 ft away.

It wasnā€™t near a bird feeder or anywhere Iā€™ve seen hardly any birds, so Iā€™m just not going to worry about this incident, but I think we wonā€™t be going outside in the near future. Itā€™s too bad; itā€™s finally warm out after 6 months of cold.
I am in Minnesota, and the bird flu is here. My vet warned me a few months ago. I've came across articles, and it's been on the news. It's incredibly sad. I was planning on attaching a bunch of information below for those of us in the United States that will be affected by this so far.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Here is a mass email that Bird Tricks sent out to people to educate about the bird flu, and how to protect our feathered friends. I just screenshotted the email. I'll also add the links below as well encase someone wants to do more additional reading.

image0.png
image1.png
image2.png
image3.png
image4.png
image5.png

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I expect the bird flu is in MN. I went to grad school there and the turkey industry is very big there. All those birds packed together in dirty conditions make disease spread likely. Iā€™m now living near MN but not in the state. Bet itā€™s here, too. Iā€™ve been getting warning emails from Audubon and should talk with my dad about cleaning or stopping his bird feeders.

I am not REALLY concerned about Willowā€™s brief contact with the pavement outside but I will surely be watching him and perhaps I will not let my neighbors pet him unless they know him already and they wash their hands.

Your link talks about covering bird cages outside and not putting them under trees where there may be birds. Thatā€™s to keep poops from wild birds out of your birdā€™s cage. A wet poop would definitely be a concern and Iā€™m sure could have loads of flu virus. But this is why pet birds shouldnā€™t have contact with outside birds, anyhow. Lots of diseases and parasites go through wild bird populations and are spread far by migration. When your pet bird is inside your home, itā€™s pretty safe from those illnesses. When I had outside bird feeders, I was always careful to wash and change outdoor clothing after filling feeders.

Last edited:
OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I expect the bird flu is in MN. I went to grad school there and the turkey industry is very big there. All those birds packed together in dirty conditions make disease spread likely. Iā€™m now living near MN but not in the state. Bet itā€™s here, too. Iā€™ve been getting warning emails from Audubon and should talk with my dad about cleaning or stopping his bird feeders.

I am not REALLY concerned about Willowā€™s brief contact with the pavement outside but I will surely be watching him and perhaps I will not let my neighbors pet him unless they know him already and they wash their hands.
I am glad that Willow will be ok. It will be a tough summer if we can't have our parrots outside. I know Nico will have temper tantrums. He's already started. Luckily if I put his stand in the window where he can sit in the sun it's still making him happy. I'm not sure how long that will last.

I am just hoping this will pass. I was hoping my vet would be wrong when she warned me. I used to live in Wabasha/Kellogg, and I loved watching the bald eagles. They are incredible. It's sad that they are dying from the bird flu already.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My dad lives near the upper peninsula and has eagles, hawks, and ospreys visiting his pond as well as a pair of swans and at least a pair of Canada geese. He will be disappointed if he canā€™t feed the birds on his porch, but I think he will listen.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I didnā€™t catch that. Thank you for sending that link!!!! I am really worried about my parrots.
Me too! But this has happened before and if we are careful theyā€™ll be safe! It is very rare for parrots to get it!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This years outbreaks occurred prior to the migrations which implied that the Virus had over-wintered in hot spots, as occurred in Western Europe. So those States should take greater care and work to assure that those areas are cleaned of the Virus. The Virus had moved further North with the completion of the Spring migration. The fact that areas in Southern and Central North America are having outbreaks imply that they are active areas that have or will develop into hot spots.

The Document provided in this Thread will help greatly in limiting or minimizing Bird Flu near you. Fail to follow it and one is inviting it especially feeding the wild birds. It may help to say that by limiting or eliminating feeding will help assure they will be around in the future.

NOTE: Wet Poop is a transfer means. But the Virus is also known to transfer in molted feathers and dry Poop that has powdered!! Areas of active Virus outbreaks in your area should be taken very seriously.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I pulled my wild burd feeder. As I'm not going to bleach them every day. But because I have bern feeding them for years ...im going to throw out seed on the ground every few days . We have big storms come through nearly everyday so hope nature helps.

I do bleach my burd bath every couple of days

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
h1n1 is rare fir people to catch and is caught directly from birds. People working with chickens and such are more at risk.

Only a handful of cases worldwide in people. But is very fatal in people.

So we all do want to be cautious.......we don't need this mutating and becoming a disease that can spread from person to person ....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Minnesota had a "steep decline" in avian flu in May so as of now the DNR is allowing waterfowl hunting this fall. I don't currently have waterfowl or foxes in my neighborhood, and to my knowledge we haven't had positive passerines/songbirds here so far, so my neighbors and I have left our feeders up. I check the Minnesota Dept of Agriculture and the DNR every week or so to check progress. I clean feeders/bird baths with soap and bleach or F10 regularly anyway because of algae/mold prevention :/

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I wish there was a vaccine! I canā€™t imagine these viruses are any easier on our birds then they are ourselves šŸ˜¢

Most Reactions