Bird safe herbal teas and is wholegrain toast bad

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
My morning time coffee has become quite a pantomime with me trying to protect my cup from my four month old quaker parrot. Diva seems to think that if I'm having a coffee she should be allowed to have some too she never gets but I have to be on constant guard is there any bird safe tea or herb drinks I could make her so she can participate with her own little drink. Would be great if there was anything healthy that would give her some healthy vitamins as I'm struggling to get her to swap from seeds to pellets and only beginning to make any progress in getting her to try some veggies
Another thing is I've been trying to get creative in getting healthier food into her. She loves having lunch with me when it's toast and I've started blending up a few veggies like carrot, sweet potatoes, cauliflower and a little banana or apple for sweetness and making a veggie jam for her and spreading it on wholemeal toast and she goes wild for it eating the whole lot on toast if I give her the mixture of veggies alone with no toast she won't touch it

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My morning time coffee has become quite a pantomime with me trying to protect my cup from my four month old quaker parrot. Diva seems to think that if I'm having a coffee she should be allowed to have some too she never gets but I have to be on constant guard is there any bird safe tea or herb drinks I could make her so she can participate with her own little drink. Would be great if there was anything healthy that would give her some healthy vitamins as I'm struggling to get her to swap from seeds to pellets and only beginning to make any progress in getting her to try some veggies
Another thing is I've been trying to get creative in getting healthier food into her. She loves having lunch with me when it's toast and I've started blending up a few veggies like carrot, sweet potatoes, cauliflower and a little banana or apple for sweetness and making a veggie jam for her and spreading it on wholemeal toast and she goes wild for it eating the whole lot on toast if I give her the mixture of veggies alone with no toast she won't touch it

Oh yes, Ona tries SO hard to steal coffee. I drink a lot of coffee too so it's always a battle keeping her away. There are some great bird safe teas out there! I am using this one right now:

I like to take a cup of water, warm it for just 30 seconds so it's just lukewarm, and add some tea mix on top. I just leave the mix in the cup when serving because Ona loves to eat and forage through it.

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Oh yes, Ona tries SO hard to steal coffee. I drink a lot of coffee too so it's always a battle keeping her away. There are some great bird safe teas out there! I am using this one right now:

I like to take a cup of water, warm it for just 30 seconds so it's just lukewarm, and add some tea mix on top. I just leave the mix in the cup when serving because Ona loves to eat and forage through it.
Thank you definately going to get her some I swear it's like trying to get a fussy toddler to actually eat some nutrition and she acts like I'm torturing her for wanting her to eat something remotely healthy that isn't solely seed. I've found myself making her puried veg and fruit jams or sauces to mix with bread, pasta and rice the only way to get some healthy food into her is give it with a little bad I don't even cook for me lol i cook for the bird then eat a pot noodle and she's then begging me for share of pot noodle 🤣

Seawitch2

Aug 13, 2023
Media
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
My yellow naped amazon has been drinking two small sips from my coffee every morning for 37 years. I use a lot of milk and not very strong coffee. Someone told me that coffee was very dangerous for birds. She will be very upset if I stop her little drink. She is not hyper and it does not seem to affect her. She even dips her cheerios in the coffee sometimes. What do you know about this?

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
My yellow naped amazon has been drinking two small sips from my coffee every morning for 37 years. I use a lot of milk and not very strong coffee. Someone told me that coffee was very dangerous for birds. She will be very upset if I stop her little drink. She is not hyper and it does not seem to affect her. She even dips her cheerios in the coffee sometimes. What do you know about this?
Divas my first parrot I've only had her for a month and all I know is I've heard it is supposedly not good for them. However if your girl has had this little treat as part of her routine for 37 years with no harm to her well being I doubt it's harmful just like everything else little in moderation and just like us they can have a little treat included in an otherwise healthy diet. Diva is a quaker only four months old and a lot smaller than a amazon so I'll probably not take the risk myself because of her small body size I'd be scared of it harming her she also is very fussy came to me eating seed I'm struggling to get her to eat healthy vegetables or pellets so giving her too many treats now until I do get her eating more healthy items isn't something I want to do. Your girl sounds so smart the way she dips her cheerios in your coffee the parrot equivalent to us dunking a biscuit I suppose. You could get some herbal teas if your worried and try to see if your girl would be interested in trying a new more healthy drink

Seawitch2

Aug 13, 2023
Media
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Divas my first parrot I've only had her for a month and all I know is I've heard it is supposedly not good for them. However if your girl has had this little treat as part of her routine for 37 years with no harm to her well being I doubt it's harmful just like everything else little in moderation and just like us they can have a little treat included in an otherwise healthy diet. Diva is a quaker only four months old and a lot smaller than a amazon so I'll probably not take the risk myself because of her small body size I'd be scared of it harming her she also is very fussy came to me eating seed I'm struggling to get her to eat healthy vegetables or pellets so giving her too many treats now until I do get her eating more healthy items isn't something I want to do. Your girl sounds so smart the way she dips her cheerios in your coffee the parrot equivalent to us dunking a biscuit I suppose. You could get some herbal teas if your worried and try to see if your girl would be interested in trying a new more healthy drink
Billie eats something called Pretty Bird kibbles. It comes in several sizes, maybe Diva would like some of that with her fruits and vegetables. It has vitamins and other good things.

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Billie eats something called Pretty Bird kibbles. It comes in several sizes, maybe Diva would like some of that with her fruits and vegetables. It has vitamins and other good things.
Thank you I'll have a look out on amazon prime to see if they stock it always up to trying new things with her ive spent a fortune on new toys and foods and some she definately likes better than others food has been a battle it's like dealing with a toddler who only wants candy and throws a fit over having to eat healthy food lol seed been her candy

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Is this it do you think in the small version if it is its stocked by the supplier I use to get nearly all Diva's stuff and I'll definately order her a bag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822_152542_com.huawei.hwsearch.jpg
    Screenshot_20230822_152542_com.huawei.hwsearch.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 8

Seawitch2

Aug 13, 2023
Media
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Is this it do you think in the small version if it is its stocked by the supplier I use to get nearly all Diva's stuff and I'll definately order her a bag
yes, the small size might work. Add a little each time with her other food and slowly increase it (if she eats it) and decrease the other. I am not sure how big a 4 month Quaker parrot is. Maybe the store will give you a sample. Billie loves cut up apples and blueberries as well as a little taste of what ever we are eating, but she is larger.

Seawitch2

Aug 13, 2023
Media
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
yes, the small size might work. Add a little each time with her other food and slowly increase it (if she eats it) and decrease the other. I am not sure how big a 4 month Quaker parrot is. Maybe the store will give you a sample. Billie loves cut up apples and blueberries as well as a little taste of what ever we are eating, but she is larger.
I looked up Pretty Bird and they have a mini size if your supplier can get it.
ds-mini-pellet.jpg

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
She's probably the size of a conure she's on the smaller size for a quaker but she's a pallid blue and apparantly the blues are smaller than the normal green Quakers. She's a tiny bird with a big attitude lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts