Bird songs

JoshyAstro

Apr 18, 2022
What birds chirp is the loudest / most frequent / most annoying out of;
Bourke Parakeets
Budgies
Parrotlets

I would like to keep some but don't know if parents would allow screeches / constantly loud chirping

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I know almost nothing about parrotlets. From Bourkes and budgies, I can say that budgies sing louder and more frequent.

I've heard that parrotlets may make a loud unfriendly squeak but idk if it's true.

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I'll add - do you have any other requirements from your future bird, such as a character? If no, I think that a Bourke is the most suitable - they chirp mostly when it's "half-dark" - in the early morning with the raising sun and in the evening while it gets dark. Sure, they may chirp something during day but it's mostly single chirps.
About mornings - as I wrote, they wake up so early but I don't think it should disturb your parents sleeping - at least here, we all can sleep despite their chirps in another room, including my dad who easily wakes up because of different noises. Budgies chirp in the morning as well, but their noise is louder.
Some males may sing various melodies, but their voice is friendly - honestly, when I heard my male singing for the first time, I couldn't stop listening to him 😅

I asked about other requirements because Bourkes have totally different character from other parrots and some people don't want them because they are too calm. Also, it's not a great species for somebody who wants a cuddly bird - unlike most parrots, Bourkes find any kind of touching (even head preening!) as violating private space (the only exception is made for breeding needs)

OP
JoshyAstro

JoshyAstro

Apr 18, 2022
I'll add - do you have any other requirements from your future bird, such as a character? If no, I think that a Bourke is the most suitable - they chirp mostly when it's "half-dark" - in the early morning with the raising sun and in the evening while it gets dark. Sure, they may chirp something during day but it's mostly single chirps.
About mornings - as I wrote, they wake up so early but I don't think it should disturb your parents sleeping - at least here, we all can sleep despite their chirps in another room, including my dad who easily wakes up because of different noises. Budgies chirp in the morning as well, but their noise is louder.
Some males may sing various melodies, but their voice is friendly - honestly, when I heard my male singing for the first time, I couldn't stop listening to him 😅

I asked about other requirements because Bourkes have totally different character from other parrots and some people don't want them because they are too calm. Also, it's not a great species for somebody who wants a cuddly bird - unlike most parrots, Bourkes find any kind of touching (even head preening!) as violating private space (the only exception is made for breeding needs)
I'm just looking for a chill bird that can be kept as a pair, not too loud but I am aware quiet is impossible, and enjoys my company.

OP
JoshyAstro

JoshyAstro

Apr 18, 2022

I don't mind it not liking being petted, but do you know if they would walk onto my hand / shoulder?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I don't mind it not liking being petted, but do you know if they would walk onto my hand / shoulder?
It depends on where you get the birds. If from an aviary - probably no, because Bourkes not raised close enough to humans, are so fearful. If Bourkes are raised by their parents, but they were pulled out from the nest box and they still had a close contact with humans after leaving the nest - then, yes, it is possible. The bird on my avatar was raised in this way and you can see it sitting on my hand. But even then I had to be careful to not loose its trust - I've had few of such Bourkes and I wanted to pet one of them - it was just single touch and this one never wanted to sit on me again.

There's also the hand feeding option - I've had two hand raised Bourkes and they were the only ones which even as adults, they still wanted to spend a bit of time with us (Bourkes raised by their parents weren't afraid of us, but they wouldn't fly to us without any reason).
Note: If you decide for hand raised ones, buy only weaned ones.

Most Reactions

Latest posts