Bird Stand / Playarea Ideas?

reeisconfused

Aug 11, 2018
Parrots
rescued IRN Max and Cockatiel Honey
Hello everyone!
Iā€™ve been meaning to get a bird stand / perch / play area for my rescued IRN for a while now. Iā€™ve checked at various pet stores but canā€™t seem to find a good one (theyā€™re usually very low / small + very pricey) so I decided to build my own!

Iā€™ve seen them made out of PVC pipes or even using wood and Iā€™m leaning more towards wood.

If any one of you have made DIY bird stand + play area gyms, would you please share photos / give ideas? I would loooove to see yours and they may serve as inspiration.

Thank you so much!

P.S tips for introducing toys to my parrot? Iā€™ve tried putting them in his cage but heā€™s VERY scared of them to a point that I had to remove them. ��

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/51070-monster-playstand-tutorial.html

or just check out more of the DIY-section, there are more builders here.

Do It Yourself - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

=

The official way to introduce toys is to put them somewhere far far away from the cage but in sight of the bird,
and if the bird does not freak out, you can (after a day or so- maybe a week) move it closer.
Oh and play with it yourself like it is the best toy in the world.
then in x steps its next to the cage (some parrots will climb towards them on their own at that point)
on the the cage (outside but within easy reach)
and only then.. inside.

By that time the bird will have some idea about the toy (mostly harmless) and what to do with it (if it is still learning to play)
Once they get used to weird things getting into the (and their) house you can get sloppy:

My birds cheat: the moment I unpack my bag Japie will fly over and be on top of it (yup, one of those "I hate changes" african greys... LOL)
so yea.. he did not read the rulebook!
Appie is also quite unfazed about new toys, but Sunny (does not really understand toys very well) only likes them outside the cage.
(for now)

Last edited:
OP
reeisconfused

reeisconfused

Aug 11, 2018
Parrots
rescued IRN Max and Cockatiel Honey
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/51070-monster-playstand-tutorial.html

or just check out more of the DIY-section, there are more builders here.

Do It Yourself - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

=

The official way to introduce toys is to put them somewhere far far away from the cage but in sight of the bird,
and if the bird does not freak out, you can (after a day or so- maybe a week) move it closer.
Oh and play with it yourself like it is the best toy in the world.
then in x steps its next to the cage (some parrots will climb towards them on their own at that point)
on the the cage (outside but within easy reach)
and only then.. inside.

By that time the bird will have some idea about the toy (mostly harmless) and what to do with it (if it is still learning to play)
Once they get used to weird things getting into the (and their) house you can get sloppy:

My birds cheat: the moment I unpack my bag Japie will fly over and be on top of it (yup, one of those "I hate changes" african greys... LOL)
so yea.. he did not read the rulebook!
Appie is also quite unfazed about new toys, but Sunny (does not really understand toys very well) only likes them outside the cage.
(for now)

thank you so much! iā€™ll be sure to check it out ā¤ļø

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I was (am) in the same boat as you. I wanted to build a large stand for my Conure but haven't done so yet as he shows a tendency to not stay on the ones I have now. He wants to be with me 100% so even when I place him on a stand or gym, he flies over to me.

Check out YouTube videos, lots of ideas there.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I bought a secondhand large java tree, it was a bit of a bargain. It was fine, but it just didn't work for my bird. I made one 5 foot stand and one smaller table stand by cutting them in the way I wanted and putting one end in a plant pot and using postcrete to set them so they'll stand up. I like them because they just look like slightly odd ornaments when my birds aren't out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts