Bird who stayed in cage for 5 years

as29

May 31, 2020
Hello I promised I will try and tame a bird who stayed in cage for 5 years, it's a yellow cockatiel.

Do you have any tips on how to approach it?
Also she has a bald spot on top of the head. I am a little worried about that.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have run into this problem with Stormy, my budgie, and I am taming my new fid Pepper so I might be able to help! Start by opening the cage door. In my experience this helps them gain confidence. Speak to them slowly and softly, and alert them of any loud noise you make before you make it. Have a predictable routine every single day, but let them go to sleep/eat on their own terms. Tiels are usually very easy to tame. Once the bird is out, try giving it treats and showing it outside the cage can be really fun, but dont change stuff up right away. Stick to the normal routine but add β€˜out of cage time’. Keep the mood in your room calm as birds need calm moments. Once the bird will eat from you, try teaching it to target. There are many YT vids showing how to do this. Once they know how to target, try to use you finger as an extension of the perch, and target the bird over your finger. NEVER press its belly as this throws them off balance and forces them to step up. All training should be on the birds terms, dont force anything! Remember to be patient. It was 8 months before Stormy stepped up to me, and a year before I gained his trust fully. As for the bald patch, it could be mites or another parasite, as birds cant pluck on top of their head, thought another bird might have plucked that spot. Best of luck to you both!οΏ½οΏ½

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It's common for Lutino Cockatiels (yellow) to have a bald patch in head (underneath crest).

Strange as it sounds I have not tried much to tame them.
Mostly take them for what they are and work with it.
My most wild Tiel is Cheeky a white face male.
The most I can do with him is get him to step up onto a perch .
After years of this he is getting more trusting of me

Most Reactions