Bird won’t stop biting jewellery

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Oof yeah I get that, can’t wear earrings around him because he pulls at them. Shame, I love wearing jewellery lots haha. Thanks for the response ❤️
You can probably get away with studs. Over time, he *may* learn not to go after them, but it's unlikely. Just put them on when leaving, take off when returned.

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw
Hi, my 8 month old conure, Toki, is obsessed with my jewellery. I usually wear necklaces and bracelets but I’ve started taking them off more ever since I brought him home.
Once he latches onto my jewellery it’s extremely hard to get him off. He squeals and once he’s off, he bites really hard. I keep trying to tell him no but he doesn’t listen so I put him back in his cage after he does it.
His bites hurt me a lot, is there anything more I can do to discourage this behaviour? Thank you!
Birds love shiny things, really nothing you can do about it. Just take your jewelry off when you’re with him. And him getting mad and biting is normal, you shouldn’t punish him for it, he’s just mad cuz you’re taking away what he considers a toy.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All bothersome jewelry can be sent to Salty, as he has a rare disease, similar to the condition the conquistadores had in days of old! Gold sickness.

J/K !!

Actually he does have this thing about silver. When I clean my and Geri's massive amount of silver rings, bracelets, brooches, pins, etc (typical biker stuff !!), Salty will climb up and play King of the Mountain and not let me touch any of it!
Gold - Ppffftt, he could care less. Some pirate, huh?

sandra1

Jan 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
sun conure
pineapple conure
I usually take my rings and bracelets off, I do leave my loop ear rings on but for my necklace I just put a dish towel around my neck, so my sun conure and gcc don't bite at my necklace

Nov 17, 2017
Ulmarra NSW Aust
Parrots
2 Rainbow Loris.
Molly and Bosley. They both left home and have partners now. Come back to feed sometimes. Just have Sonny an Ecky... more than enough
Our eclectus doesn't miss a thing. My wifes engagement ring disappeared years ago.
20210310_085255.jpg
20210225_092348.jpg

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I can't tell you how many rings I went through before I just took them off before handling Maddox. There is not much that can be done otherwise. Just take the jewelry off.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
After Connie picked the stone from my earring I stopped wearing that sort,necklaces and bracelets are all fair game but she responds well to a loud "NO" same command for hard pinches. She looks at me a bit taken aback then I get the smoothing treatment,like I never meant it Mummy!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts