Bird won’t stop biting jewellery

mayouya

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi, my 8 month old conure, Toki, is obsessed with my jewellery. I usually wear necklaces and bracelets but I’ve started taking them off more ever since I brought him home.
Once he latches onto my jewellery it’s extremely hard to get him off. He squeals and once he’s off, he bites really hard. I keep trying to tell him no but he doesn’t listen so I put him back in his cage after he does it.
His bites hurt me a lot, is there anything more I can do to discourage this behaviour? Thank you!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yes....... Take off your jewelry, other than that, what is your question?

It's like asking a dog not to chew on a bone.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree. Shiny jewelry is so exciting that it is unlikely you can teach your bird not to grab it.

An exception: I used to wear earrings ALL THE TIME and I just wouldn’t let my bird on my shoulder then. These were rings that were hard to get in and out of the ear but my bird would try really hard. Ouch.

Last edited:
OP
mayouya

mayouya

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure

I agree. Shiny jewelry is so exciting that it is unlikely you can teach your bird not to grab it.

An exception: I used to wear earrings ALL THE TKME and I just wouldn’t let my bird on my shoulder then. These were rings that were hard to get in and out of the ear but my bird would try really hard. Ouch.
Oof yeah I get that, can’t wear earrings around him because he pulls at them. Shame, I love wearing jewellery lots haha. Thanks for the response ❤️

Squiggles:D

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Squiggles (about half a year old)
Black capped conure
Personally, Ive never worn necklaces or bracelets and probably never will but I always wear earrings. Honestly, I just use my hair to cover them up! Obviously that odesnt work for everyone though

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Personally, Ive never worn necklaces or bracelets and probably never will but I always wear earrings. Honestly, I just use my hair to cover them up! Obviously that odesnt work for everyone though
Oh, yes, I’ve done that. Also used to smuggle my bird into stores and library under my hair. But current bird refuses.🙁

OP
mayouya

mayouya

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
yesss i wear hoodies to cover earrings and necklaces but he still tries to get to them lol

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I learned this the hard way too 😄 Shiny metal earrings that MUST come out of my ears RIGHT NOW. I'm in the habit now of putting my jewelry on just before I leave the house.

If the answer was so clear to everyone everywhere, the question would not have been asked. I would much rather have people ask about behaviors that are normal bird behaviors, than to struggle and get frustrated.

OP
mayouya

mayouya

Apr 25, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I learned this the hard way too 😄 Shiny metal earrings that MUST come out of my ears RIGHT NOW. I'm in the habit now of putting my jewelry on just before I leave the house.

If the answer was so clear to everyone everywhere, the question would not have been asked. I would much rather have people ask about behaviors that are normal bird behaviors, than to struggle and get frustrated.
Thank you, their response made me feel a bit dumb at first. This is my first conure and none of my previous birds acted like this so I was confused…Glad it’s normal ^^

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you, their response made me feel a bit dumb at first. This is my first conure and none of my previous birds acted like this so I was confused…Glad it’s normal ^^
You should never feel like you can't ask a question. There are no dumb questions, and as Cottonoid said, we want you asking anything you want to know.
Please don't let the one response hinder you from asking whatever you want to know.

The forum exists so people can ask questions, and receive respectful answers.
If you can't answer respectfully, skip the post.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Text is a funny thing, no? I personally didn’t take clarks message to be the “no duh”, smart at-money-money response you all saw. I took it more in a “putting it into context”.

It’s like responding with “I tell the doctor it hurts when I do that”, doctor replies “well then don’t do that”.

It’s Not being smart, just putting the problem into humorous perspective: the answer is obvious, once it’s pointed out. We CAN laugh about how obvious an answer can be.

But text can’t always convey emotions and intent.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Text is a funny thing, no? I personally didn’t take clarks message to be the “no duh”, smart at-money-money response you all saw. I took it more in a “putting it into context”.

It’s like responding with “I tell the doctor it hurts when I do that”, doctor replies “well then don’t do that”.

Not being smart, just putting the problem into useful perspective.
Text is definitely hard to read, but when someone new asks a question care should be put into the answer. We do not want anyone to be hesitant to ask any more questions, and if the post was an answer to me when I was new I more than likely wouldn't have asked any more.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I'm having the jewelry struggle too :) I have a necklace I like to wear all the time.... I've started taking it off when it's time for Ona snuggles. Otherwise she's nibbling it. The struggle is real! Sometimes if I can find something else to distract her with she stops and sometimes I can hide it under my shirt. But yeah, not sure if anything else can really be done other than saying "no" and trying to hide it.

Edit to add: I do find that if I spin the necklace around so that the charm portion is on the back of my neck behind my hair that can help. That way it isn't dangling down in front. Any time I leave mine on that is, it helps.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I also found it helped to turn away the really shiny part, in my case it was my engagement ring. They weren't interested in the plain band at all.
I did just start taking off my rings though, it drove me crazy to have them backwards.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I also found it helped to turn away the really shiny part, in my case it was my engagement ring. They weren't interested in the plain band at all.
I did just start taking off my rings though, it drove me crazy to have them backwards.
Willow still tries to get my rings off, and pinches me in the process. I have a green ‘Lucy’ remembrance ring and don’t wear it all the time as I ought, because of his determination to remove it even if the stone is inside.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
lol My baby GCC took off my Avian vet's earing......you think she would have known better, ....there I was embarrassed sweeping the floor for both pieces.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If it’s any consolation, when my youngest was a baby I stopped wearing jewelry for a while because she’d try to yank the earrings out my ears or strangle my with my own necklace.

I also only put on jewelry now if I’m going out, and I take it off when I come home. I’m pretty confident Kirby wouldn’t yank a piercing out (he leaves my nose alone, thank goodness) but I don’t want to find out the hard way…

Most Reactions

Latest posts