Biting Issues

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
Hello! Been awhile since I've posted about my budgie Dee(year old), and his new friend Louie!
Every since Dee has hitten "bird puberty" he doesn't like to be touched/rubbed (which is fine) but he has a bad habit of biting you when trying to give kisses etc, he'll be fine and want kisses but then decide mid through he wants to either kiss you back HARD or bite. Im not sure how to discourage this, a lot of the time he gets pretty mad when I learn away from him kisses etc but they really hurt haha.. Any help with that would be great! For my second problem, Louie - who's still a baby (born June 20) LOVES kisses and pets but he always light bites/licks? like even if he's just on my finger he just nibbles constantly, not hard ever though. Im worried that eventually he will start nibbling hard and also need help finding solutions to discourage - hopefully I still get kisses D:

Honestly any help would be great, Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas!!
-Livy and Birds

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Here are a few links that will hopefully help:
If you need more advice just ask, and merry Christmas to you too!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello Livy!
I totally understand your frustration and it can be hard to steer clear from those bites given that our parrots can be unpredictable and those bites can hurt badly!
I suggest reading through the links given in the above thread as they will benefit you short term and long term. You can refer back to them when concerned with aggressive behavior at any point.
Sometimes it is just best to walk away from the situation and let your birds cool down before going for kisses again. And if they continue doing the biting, then you repeat the action of stepping away, maybe putting them back in their cage, then taking them out and resume what you were doing before. All on repeat until they have made the connection that biting=going back to cage, which is negative reinforcement for them. No biting=more playtime and more smooches. Which is great for all!
Just be sure to remain consistent until the biting has stopped.
But biting is a natural behavior for parrots, especially when young as they are exploring with their mouths. That's normal, even in puberty, but in this stage, aggression can hit because of those hormones and birds just don't know what they exactly want! So it's best to understand that and act accordingly so they don't create this biting behavior into a habit.
Make sure to read those linked threads though!
Merry Christmas to you too and have a great night!

Most Reactions

Latest posts