Blown Tail Feathers / Lipoma, Inflamed skin on chest, abdomen, downy feathers only

WoopWoop

Feb 27, 2023
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Budgerigars
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Galah
Just taken in some rescues. An elderly man died leaving 77 budgies homeless. As his health failed their situation must have deteriorated as regards food, hygiene, vermin in aviary etc. A very kind local pet shop owner rescued them, wormed them, sprayed for mites and is rehousing. I have taken five with two I am concerned about.

1. Pickett, English, 40g eating well - chop, silverbeet, sprouted grains, seed. Vitamin with moulting aid and mineral block. No tail and there is a large scab over the area, no redness or ooze. I’m observing and hoping it will eventually peel off naturally. Don’t want to end up with an open wound. Am offering baths and light sprays. He’s not scratching or worrying at it.
2. Freebie, Australian, 70g. Eating and active. Now on 1.5 tsp high quality seed max per day, chop, green leaves, sprouted grains, vitamins with moulting aid and mineral block with iodine. He has only down feathers over a very fat chest and abdomen, skin is red inflamed looking, all other feathers are normal. White paper on the base of his isolation cage no barbered feathers. I’m thinking irritation due to mites or allergy. Has been treated with Avimec. Am offering weak chamomile tea baths and waiting for some Aloe Vera plants to arrive so I can make a spray.

Live in rural Australia, qualified Avian vets none to be found. Travel would involve 1000klm round trip.

Currently in quarantine. Am I doing all I can to rehabilitate them. Any suggestions?

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Medical things aren't my strong point, but you sound like you're doing a great job! Thank you for taking the time to try and bring them back to good health!
As someone who also lives in Rural Aus, do you have any mixed practice vets around you? Any that treat Wildlife? If you contact around you can generally find someone who can provide basic help to your bird.

OP
WoopWoop

WoopWoop

Feb 27, 2023
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Budgerigars
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Galah
Nice to meet you too.

Don’t have any mixed practice vets (including those who help at wildlife shelters) I trust much.

Sirius our beautiful very tame and gentle English White Double Factor Spangle died at less than two in my hand - vet miscalculated enrofloxacin dosage (wrong concentration, wrong dose) for what was apparently a mild infection. We didn’t pick it up until we checked the bottle again so we blame ourselves too.

Bill a sweet English Cobalt Single Factor Violet Spangle Opaline Yellowface also less than two had surgery to remove a lump. Got through the anaesthetic and op and we were called to collect him. When we arrived we waited a long time then we’re called in and told he’d bled to death in his cage! Vet with strong interest in avian care which is why we went to the practice claimed the staff had been checking him every five minutes but I reckon they stopped when they called us to collect him, 40 minute drive later we got to take his body home and pay the large bill at a 50% reduction - tacit admission of guilt anyone?

Found out there is one qualified avian vet about 80klm away, wait for a non emergency appointment 4 - 6 months.

Sadly I think we’re mostly on our own. Wish some of the city vets would do some regular outreach clinics but they’re rare birds so no doubt already stretched thin.

On the left Sirius on the right Bill (the day he died). DE4FF8F4-5730-4ABF-B2F5-CB7A859AD16A.jpegBF54CBD8-E4AD-4A1C-A238-65872B26E3EB.jpeg

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I fully understand not trusting some vets. At the Mixed practice vet I go to there is one main vet I trust with my birdies. The nearest CAV is a three hour drive, one way.
There's a chance at some point my English boy will need to go under anaesthetic, but I know there's a risk for any animal under anaesthetic so I will just have to trust my vet or deal with a possible reoccurring issue.
I wish you the best with your sweeties! I'd love updates if you're willing to share as you go.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Nice to meet you too.

Don’t have any mixed practice vets (including those who help at wildlife shelters) I trust much.

Sirius our beautiful very tame and gentle English White Double Factor Spangle died at less than two in my hand - vet miscalculated enrofloxacin dosage (wrong concentration, wrong dose) for what was apparently a mild infection. We didn’t pick it up until we checked the bottle again so we blame ourselves too.

Bill a sweet English Cobalt Single Factor Violet Spangle Opaline Yellowface also less than two had surgery to remove a lump. Got through the anaesthetic and op and we were called to collect him. When we arrived we waited a long time then we’re called in and told he’d bled to death in his cage! Vet with strong interest in avian care which is why we went to the practice claimed the staff had been checking him every five minutes but I reckon they stopped when they called us to collect him, 40 minute drive later we got to take his body home and pay the large bill at a 50% reduction - tacit admission of guilt anyone?

Found out there is one qualified avian vet about 80klm away, wait for a non emergency appointment 4 - 6 months.

Sadly I think we’re mostly on our own. Wish some of the city vets would do some regular outreach clinics but they’re rare birds so no doubt already stretched thin.

On the left Sirius on the right Bill (the day he died).View attachment 48109View attachment 48110
Shame in the vet that miscalculated the antibiotic dose- that wasn't your fault. Surgery on birds as small as budgies is very difficult unless the vet is a real expert and even then it's risky. Instruments are tiny, stitches are tiny and dosing of medications must be so precise. I wouldn't consider reducing the bill an admission of guilt so much as an expression of sorrow. Bleeding is a huge risk any time incisions are made and it only takes a couple CCs of bleeding for a budgie to die. Try to get comfort in the knowledge that you tried. The vet tried. And that your beloved budgie died peacefully.

Most Reactions