Blue and Gold Macaw Beak QUESTION

kall6900

Jan 23, 2021
Dear Forum

I am a new macaw owner and also new to this forum. my pleasure to be part of this community

I got my Macaw around two weeks ago from his previous owner, The parrot I have is a Blue and Gold Macaw.

overall the bird's health is quite good, eating well, playful, sleeping, etc. I feed him mix of chopped veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds

I noticed when I first got him some fading on the top beak. looks to me now is spreading. On the middle of his beak, there is a noticeable mark, assuming this is from pressing against the steel gages when he is inside.

Is this discoloration on the tip normal with these birds, is it a sign or awarning of anything?

tips, advices are extremely helpful. we do not have good vets specialized in these big birds where I live so using online consultation for now.:blue1:

Thank you

25705d1611421071-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed.jpg

25706d1611421086-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-0.jpg

25707d1611421099-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed-3-.jpg

25708d1611421112-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed-2-.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 232
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 267
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Beaks are like fingernails they grow from the base (root) out to the pointy-end and that process is slow for a healthy Parrot.

Color will vary based on the general health and emotional state of the Parrot. For Blue and Gold's, the beak is commonly black with lighter areas. Color tends too be stable for a section as they grow-out to the point. As a result, over 'years' there will be variations as a segment grow out away from the root.

You are correct, the ruff edge will tend to look jagged like that as a realist of crewing on cage bars. Getting your B&G to crew more on soft pine wood will keep your Mac busy with a better looking edge. It is important to remember that it is common for this edge to wear with time as the overall size of the bill becomes small as it grows out to the point.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Note, Avian Vet Care is important as there will be required services that it is important for them to be handled by an individual with Avian Skills. You're providing at the very least a general region of the Huge World will be important in understanding what services are available in your area.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Agree, with above normal. But a few added nuts, sybe some boiled egg here and there r.
maybe using a bird safe humidifier. And more stuff he likes to chomp.
Congratulations on your beautiful bird. Hus eye stripes are thick!!!! Very dramatic!

OP
K

kall6900

Jan 23, 2021
Beaks are like fingernails they grow from the base (root) out to the pointy-end and that process is slow for a healthy Parrot.

Color will vary based on the general health and emotional state of the Parrot. For Blue and Gold's, the beak is commonly black with lighter areas. Color tends too be stable for a section as they grow-out to the point. As a result, over 'years' there will be variations as a segment grow out away from the root.

You are correct, the ruff edge will tend to look jagged like that as a realist of crewing on cage bars. Getting your B&G to crew more on soft pine wood will keep your Mac busy with a better looking edge. It is important to remember that it is common for this edge to wear with time as the overall size of the bill becomes small as it grows out to the point.

thanks alot for the info, so in general nothing to worry about much at this time?. i am in contact with few Vets in my area for normal check up on the parrot.
however, this concerned me as it seems growing from the top toward the base!

about the middle notch, seems is pealing off or cracking, is there away to treat this befor it gets worse

Last edited:
OP
K

kall6900

Jan 23, 2021
Agree, with above normal. But a few added nuts, sybe some boiled egg here and there r.
maybe using a bird safe humidifier. And more stuff he likes to chomp.
Congratulations on your beautiful bird. Hus eye stripes are thick!!!! Very dramatic!

Thanks, should I boil hole eggs for calcium? or just eggs shells. can i provide calcium as a supplement?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I don't have a macaw, but I have spent a lot of time with them and to me, that looks normal. They can peel like that.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

thanks alot for the info, so in general nothing to worry about much at this time?. i am in contact with few Vets in my area for normal check up on the parrot.
however, this concerned me as it seems growing from the top toward the base!

about the middle notch, seems is pealing off or cracking, is there away to treat this before it gets worse

Understand that you are not looking at the outer lay of the beak. You are in fact looking at the interior lay, which is normally lighter. in color The overall black color of the outer lay is in place and fairly consistent over the vast majority of the outer beak. Remembering that the beak as it approaches the tip has worn away as a result it is not uncommon for the interior structure being the only thing left at the very tip of the beak.

In short: Overall color is Normal. Some cracking is also normal. Some flaking is also normal.

Beak concerns: On-going working of the Beak on cage bars. Heavy clamping of the bars 'can' cause cracking of the beak. The true danger is if the crack extends vertically as this can weaken the structure of the Beak. Note: it is common for Parrots to swipe along the bars to clean their beak. Compression is more common with being bored or catching the attention of the Humans. Greatest concern, but rarely seen is soft /mussy areas of the Beak -- that's a pack them in the car and a mad rush to the Avian professional.

Last edited:

Grisette

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Ara ararauna
Dear Forum

I am a new macaw owner and also new to this forum. my pleasure to be part of this community

I got my Macaw around two weeks ago from his previous owner, The parrot I have is a Blue and Gold Macaw.

overall the bird's health is quite good, eating well, playful, sleeping, etc. I feed him mix of chopped veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds

I noticed when I first got him some fading on the top beak. looks to me now is spreading. On the middle of his beak, there is a noticeable mark, assuming this is from pressing against the steel gages when he is inside.

Is this discoloration on the tip normal with these birds, is it a sign or awarning of anything?

tips, advices are extremely helpful. we do not have good vets specialized in these big birds where I live so using online consultation for now.:blue1:

Thank you

25705d1611421071-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed.jpg

25706d1611421086-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-0.jpg

25707d1611421099-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed-3-.jpg

25708d1611421112-blue-gold-macaw-beak-question-unnamed-2-.jpg
Hello,
My parrot has exactly the same beak. My vet. says it is not a problem. I give to my mac a little bit of calcium each day (for another problem) and the discolouration do not deasappear.
Do you have any news of your parrot since one year? Thanks for sharing.
Sorry for my bad english!

Most Reactions

Latest posts