Blue & Gold Macaw "rescue"

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Macaws are NOT loud... They're just... Um.... Yeah... They're loud... Lol.. Wait for your new b/g to let loose an ear splitting screech... Its sound like a prehistoric creature... And will definitely get your attention...

One of resident birds on the forum, salsa.. Has a video I just love.... Squaaaaaaaaaak... Up up... You loud.... Lol.. Maybe someone can post the link... He's a gw, but they're equally as loud..
They always remind me of elephants [I dont know why ] LOL:p;)

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
First of all, his cage is too small you are correct!!!

Second, he looks healthy overall to me, yes the feathers are ragged, but a good bathing will take care of that. BUT he needs his beak trimmed badly!!!!! You need to get him a concrete perch to help with that, he will either do it on his own or if he doesn't, you need to take him to the vet and have them trim it for you. IF he gets on your arm pretty good, take him in the shower with you, mine goes in the shower with me. He is fine as long as I'm in it with him. Mine will not do a shower perch, but you sure can get one to try. Trust me, after you bathe him, you'll be amazed how much better he's going to look as his feathers don't look that bad of a shape to me.

Third, whatever he is eating, let him be for now as you can change as your progress. He needs time to get adjusted to his new surroundings, so give him a month before you start to really make changes. Here's how we deal with changes. 3 separate bowls, one for fresh water, one for pellets (leave in all day), and one for fresh fruits and veggies. I feed the fresh stuffs during the day and I change over to minimal seeds (I assume that's what he's eating right now) like 2 Table spoon for his size. Then remove the seeds in the morning and go back with the fresh stuffs. He will catch on. Get him some wood toys, you can get the big blocks at your local bird fair, if they have them in your area. It would be a lot cheaper then to go in the pet shop to get them as they'll destroy them pretty quick. I used to go through $20 toy in a few hours...lol...

If you like to follow what I said it would help you quite a bit, wait a bit longer then you can change his cage to a new one once he's more established in your home. You just need to let your girl friend to try to socialize with him on a play stand as it's easier to train then on top of his cage where that's his home. They can be pretty intimidating and will bluff at you. IF you back off, he knows he's got you trained. It will just take some time to train him. Once he reaches his full maturity is when you have to be more careful, around 10 years of age. When mine hit his full hormone, he was an absolute wreck and dangerous too. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

Hi Micky, apologies for being off topic. what did you mean by he was a wreck and dangerous when he hit full hormone? Is that a period of time or forever after? does it happen with females too?
Thanks for the info. I have a 9 - 10 y/o female B&G.
Linda

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When he hit full hormone, he became very aggressive. He wanted the dogs instead of me and he bit me pretty good and I could not handle him at all during his hormone period. But after he's done with it I can handle him once again. So no it's not a on going thing, it's only during his season.

Most Reactions

Latest posts