Francie Mae1
Active member
- Feb 22, 2025
- 105
- 127
- Parrots
- Bare-eyed cockatoo
Good day, I hope everyone is doing well!
I'm just here to update everyone on how Ladybug, my 11th month old female Eclectus, is doing. I don't have much to say, but my dad suggested I just make a little update. I'll attach some pictures at the end.
Training wise, she's learning how to spin on command right now. She's making good progress. We're also still harness training her; we've gotten to the point where she'll put her own head through willingly, but only if there's a treat on the other side. The vet told us it was okay to get her used to being touched places other than her head since she's a few years away from sexual maturity and it will help her get used to the harness, but we're having some trouble petting her on her head/neck, which is something we want to get her comfortable with by the time arrives that those are the only places that we can pet her. She's also a bit picky about when she wants to step up, but it's nothing egregious.
We're a bit concerned about how much she favors my dad, especially because he's home with her all day so they have lots of time to bond, but it hasn't gotten to a point where she won't let anyone else touch her. We know parrots can really lock onto one person and then become aggressive with anyone else, so we want to avoid that for sure.
She's very vocal, it's awesome. She says 'mama,' 'mwah!', occasionally 'step up,' and has gotten pretty good at mimicking short melodies that we whistle. She loves when my dad turns on the sink, she'll go 'ahhh!,' like a sound a person might make when they see something impressive. It's also hard to tell sometimes if it's my mom muttering in the other room or if it's Lady, so either they have similar voices or Lady is mimicking her tone, haha. Either way, it's really cute.
Lastly, she went to the vet recently just for a check up, and everything came back great
Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a lovely day!
I'm just here to update everyone on how Ladybug, my 11th month old female Eclectus, is doing. I don't have much to say, but my dad suggested I just make a little update. I'll attach some pictures at the end.
Training wise, she's learning how to spin on command right now. She's making good progress. We're also still harness training her; we've gotten to the point where she'll put her own head through willingly, but only if there's a treat on the other side. The vet told us it was okay to get her used to being touched places other than her head since she's a few years away from sexual maturity and it will help her get used to the harness, but we're having some trouble petting her on her head/neck, which is something we want to get her comfortable with by the time arrives that those are the only places that we can pet her. She's also a bit picky about when she wants to step up, but it's nothing egregious.
We're a bit concerned about how much she favors my dad, especially because he's home with her all day so they have lots of time to bond, but it hasn't gotten to a point where she won't let anyone else touch her. We know parrots can really lock onto one person and then become aggressive with anyone else, so we want to avoid that for sure.
She's very vocal, it's awesome. She says 'mama,' 'mwah!', occasionally 'step up,' and has gotten pretty good at mimicking short melodies that we whistle. She loves when my dad turns on the sink, she'll go 'ahhh!,' like a sound a person might make when they see something impressive. It's also hard to tell sometimes if it's my mom muttering in the other room or if it's Lady, so either they have similar voices or Lady is mimicking her tone, haha. Either way, it's really cute.
Lastly, she went to the vet recently just for a check up, and everything came back great
Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a lovely day!







