Blue Quaker

tammyheller

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
Osker
Hi, I am new to this group and also a new quaker owner. I bought my bird from the local pet smart; he is a year old and not tame at all.
I have had him for about two weeks now. He will eat from my hand whatever I give him if he doesn't like it, he throws it down lol. but he still won't let me pet him or hold him. He has not said any works. but will do kisses sounds. he has learned step up with a Purch. how long will it take for him to let me hold him? he comes out of the cage every day from about 7am to 8pm. the pet store only feed him seeds to it is hard for me to get him to eat fruits and veg. i mix them in with his food a give him less and less seed.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm not worried. Theres always a period of the bird getting to know you and you care. It's obvious.

I give it two weeks or so with you keeping constant attention.

Don't underestimate the power of millet.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Also Quakers are known for being cage aggressive/possessive, so taking him away from his cage for training and playtime is going to be less frustrating for you both.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome and congrats on your new Quaker! What is his name? We would love to see a photo of him!

Most Reactions