Boarding parrots question

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
So I got word my step father passed away, I was off and gone before my mom remarried so I never really knew him but my brothers told me not to come down for funeral, he was a circuit court judge and every law firm, every business, hell even state house reps etc. would be there and I would NOT be missed. It will be a multi family shit show. They said to come down a week later (two states away) and help out mom then. Mom agrees and she's in the loop. I'll help her do stuff after the funeral.

I will of course have to board my parrots for 7 to 10 days or so? something like that. I have a few options so not worried on that.

Looking for advice from anyone that had to do that and any recommendations. Already going to bring favorite toys.
Has anyone had to board for that long a time....1 quaker two types of conures (GCC and sun) and 6 rescue budgies, all doing awesome.

Is there anything to make the transition easier. I have to make the trip. But I love my flock.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
I guess I’m just commenting on all your posts 😜 but I work at a pet boarding facility and am the care taker of the birds there. People board their birds all the time mostly for a week give or take but we have had some stay for a month or two. They all do relatively well and most have become regulars. Some of the larger species seem to agitate more in comparison to the smaller/medium sized birds. I’d say if you’re in the San Diego area bring ‘em over to my work. The great thing is you have a whole flock so they will have each other to keep company even if they are in different cages.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
minnesota... I parrot rescue runs a boarding, There is a parrot luxury hotel, and I DM'ed a member close to me that was on board for it I just re-contacted.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
No problems coming back home then? they are like ok that was just a phase?

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Most birds immediately recognize their owner and hop right up for them once they get picked back up . I haven’t heard much about how they are once they get home but I’m assuming it went over fine since they all are returning customers.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I would want to board mine somewhere that had proper quarantine and ventilation procedures as well as very very excellent hygiene/cleaning practices to prevent any dust debris feathers food thrown etc getting from one bird to another.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Finding a trusted person sitter to visit your home would be my choice.

I've had to spend weeks, once 3 weeks hospitalized...:(
My parrots didn't forget me at all or loose their love. But some of them let me know how mad they were at me. But pretty much back to normal within a week if being home.

Sorry for your loss and stress.
If only I could snatch them all up and have them stay with me.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Move to Minnesota Laurasea.... I does have quaker....

I have like three choices on boarding and will make calls tomorrow. I have a week or so.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I just picked my two ‘zons up from boarding, they were there for a full week.

Sammy, who we’ve only had for about 3 months but seems to be super outgoing in spite of being pretty isolated before we got her, did great. Didn’t lose any weight, let the staff pet and talk to her (if it were not for her size and coloration I’d swear sometimes she’s not a “real” yellow nape, LOL).

Kirby on the other hand was a bit stressed. He’s stayed at this facility before back in 2019, but this time he decided he didn’t like ANYONE, even Jeff (who is fantastic with all birds and who he liked before) and kept to himself the whole time. He did eat some, but lost 15 grams (I already spoke to his vet and we’re keeping an eye on it).

Both birds were happy to see us! Kirby immediately let me pet him and asked for a step up; “Get me OUTTA here!” I think he may have been less than pleased because they had two large ‘toos on opposite ends of the room who liked to occasionally scream to each other; on top of that, there were TWO other yellow napes, a blue front, and a double yellow head. It was a zoo.

Today is their first day home all day and they seem to have settled back into their usual routine with little fuss. Kirby is chatting with me while I type this, and he ate his chop, half a walnut, and some of his pellets just fine so far. His vet wants us to keep weighing him daily & bring him in if the weight loss continues as then it may be a bacterial issue caused by stress.

I’d highly reccomend finding a boarding facility that requires disease testing. The one we use here in the Seattle area requires current CBC/fecal on top of testing for a few different diseases; I feel good about leaving our birds here not only because I know the staff are bone-deep bird people, but because I don’t have to worry about Kirby picking up something nasty!

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I found a boarder, the EPS can take them for ten bucks a day. And it's where I got the two conures AC and Kent. SO they are going to the place that raised and weened them.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Went by the EPS parrot shop today and nailed everything down. If you want to see my flock they will be on display next week.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ha! That’s how I felt when I dropped mine off. The boarding room is open to the public at the place we use so I could have arranged visitors. Mine don’t much care for strangers (unless it’s to bite fingers) so I didn’t bother.

Staatsbrat

Aug 14, 2020
Finding a trusted person sitter to visit your home would be my choice.

I've had to spend weeks, once 3 weeks hospitalized...:(
My parrots didn't forget me at all or loose their love. But some of them let me know how mad they were at me. But pretty much back to normal within a week if being home.

Sorry for your loss and stress.
If only I could snatch them all up and have them stay with me.
Probably cheaper than boarding so many too.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
The closer it gets.....the more I hate it. My birds are my family and looking at 11 days or so with out them.

I hope they forgive me quickly....

It's not the money, it's the separation and the fact they won't understand I didn't give them up, I was just making sure they'd be taken care of. It' won't be till I get back they get it, if then.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
If it is any consolation, we have boarded Kirby twice now at the same place. I think the first time he maybe wasn’t sure I was coming back, but he for sure knew the second time - he avoided the employees like the plague and gave them the cold shoulder until I got back! The minute he saw me he lifted his little foot for a step up. It’s been a week now and he seems mostly over it. He did lose a little weight but he’s gaining it back already so I think he was just upset.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel the sane way after putting all mine in cages for the night ..I can't wait till morning till I can get them out and love on them again.

Maybe you can post some pictures haven't seen your kids in while !

Most Reactions