Boarding parrots question

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am not a vet. I have just been lectured a lot from multiple about boarding. Disease testing is so important in birds as they tend to carry transferable diseases, and it spreads quickly. Which testing is hard to do right now as Avian vets are hard to come by. It was explained to me that when or if I add another addition to my flock that quarantine is so important, and this should last up to 30 days. Which is something I did do wrong. I may be ignorant for thinking this way but my thought process was that I could bring my birds to meet other birds like people bring dogs to a dog park. I was informed that it doesn’t work this way with parrots.

I tend to get lectured because I have a parrot with immune suppression, and he will get very sick from catching something. I have to take extra precautions with him. Where at the same time I was told that conures are like mosquitos, and will survive anything. They have a very strong immune system.

I sort of was excited for a parrot park, or something fun like this for parrots. Unfortunately I was told it’s a bad idea 😢

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I just dropped them off. The house is so damn quiet.

I miss the background of budgie chirps and large parrot squawks.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I spent the afternoon after dropping my crew off painting a shed outdoors, so I wouldn’t have time to be sad! ;) I waited all summer to paint that darn thing because I figured if I was going to board them I should do all the yucky toxic housework!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
How are you doing? I almost never am in Richfield but happened to drive on 66th Saturday and said a Hullo to your flock as I passed :)

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm back home....

All birds accounted for, they were pissed in the store but once I put the carriers on the floor, opened them up, and they got back on top their cages it seems all was forgiven.

Most Reactions

Latest posts