Bonded Green Cheek Conures In Need Of A New Home - Eastern PA Area

JoMo

May 31, 2023
Parrots
Two green cheek conure brothers and their sister, a black capped conure
Two green cheek conure brothers in need of rehoming. Experienced bird owners only, and need to be able to take both as they are bonded.

After many years of trying and months of consideration, I have come to the sad conclusion that for their best interest, I need to give them a home that could better provide for their needs. I have become overwhelmed and unable to give them a happy life, as much as Iā€™ve wanted to and tried all I could. Please spare judgment, I know this wonā€™t be easy on them, especially as weā€™ve spent their whole ten years of being alive together and Iā€™m really all they know. But they spend 98% of their time in their cage, tucked away in another room that I do spend some time in, but even that isnā€™t enough. I have failed them, and rather than draw it out even further, Iā€™m trying to do right by them, no matter how heart-breaking it is for all three of us.

One of the brothers is named Widget (nicknamed Cutie). Heā€™s a chatty little guy who loves to whistle, sing, and dance. From the day Iā€™ve gotten him, he has not liked going onto my bare hand, but will step up if your hand is covered, especially with a blanket. He has gotten a little aggressive with his cagemate and brother, but thatā€™s only when I try to give his brother attention and heā€™s nearby. Otherwise, they get along just fine and prefer to be where the other is, never wanting to be far from each other. I can see he wants to be part of the action, but for whatever reason, he has decided he doesnā€™t like to be close to me but hopefully he will choose you to be his person.

Widgetā€™s brother is named Buddy (nicknamed Baby), and boy does he live up to his name! He loves to hang out on my shoulder and is willing to just hang wherever you go, and prefers to be on you than his playground (unless thereā€™s treats in the bowl, of course). He loves to give kisses and is quite gentle, and just wants to be with his loved ones. Has no problem stepping up (for me, he needs some time to see if youā€™re safe if he doesnā€™t know you), and is getting better about being potty trained (bombs away). Both brothers can say some words, which include each otherā€™s name and nicknames, achoo, good boy, etc.

Both have need for more training, such as being in a towel for the vet or receiving medication. Both have also been car sick every time I have to take them out. Otherwise, no issues with their health.

Iā€™m trying to keep this post at a reasonable length, but will gladly answer any questions and provide more information on these two goofballs.

If youā€™re able to give them the love and attention that these two need, I will need the following to make sure youā€™re the right fit:

Two references I can contact (friend or family accepted)
An avian vet who you have seen in the past/go to now
And what history you have with birds and how youā€™ve cared for them.

It may seem excessive but I love these two to bits, and I will not rehome them unless Iā€™m sure itā€™s their best chance. If youā€™re able to take them in, I will provide further information about their diet, medical history, behaviors, etc.
Thank you for your time.

- Jess

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3070.JPG
    IMG_3070.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_E1815.JPG
    IMG_E1815.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 22

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Two green cheek conure brothers in need of rehoming. Experienced bird owners only, and need to be able to take both as they are bonded.

After many years of trying and months of consideration, I have come to the sad conclusion that for their best interest, I need to give them a home that could better provide for their needs. I have become overwhelmed and unable to give them a happy life, as much as Iā€™ve wanted to and tried all I could. Please spare judgment, I know this wonā€™t be easy on them, especially as weā€™ve spent their whole ten years of being alive together and Iā€™m really all they know. But they spend 98% of their time in their cage, tucked away in another room that I do spend some time in, but even that isnā€™t enough. I have failed them, and rather than draw it out even further, Iā€™m trying to do right by them, no matter how heart-breaking it is for all three of us.

One of the brothers is named Widget (nicknamed Cutie). Heā€™s a chatty little guy who loves to whistle, sing, and dance. From the day Iā€™ve gotten him, he has not liked going onto my bare hand, but will step up if your hand is covered, especially with a blanket. He has gotten a little aggressive with his cagemate and brother, but thatā€™s only when I try to give his brother attention and heā€™s nearby. Otherwise, they get along just fine and prefer to be where the other is, never wanting to be far from each other. I can see he wants to be part of the action, but for whatever reason, he has decided he doesnā€™t like to be close to me but hopefully he will choose you to be his person.

Widgetā€™s brother is named Buddy (nicknamed Baby), and boy does he live up to his name! He loves to hang out on my shoulder and is willing to just hang wherever you go, and prefers to be on you than his playground (unless thereā€™s treats in the bowl, of course). He loves to give kisses and is quite gentle, and just wants to be with his loved ones. Has no problem stepping up (for me, he needs some time to see if youā€™re safe if he doesnā€™t know you), and is getting better about being potty trained (bombs away). Both brothers can say some words, which include each otherā€™s name and nicknames, achoo, good boy, etc.

Both have need for more training, such as being in a towel for the vet or receiving medication. Both have also been car sick every time I have to take them out. Otherwise, no issues with their health.

Iā€™m trying to keep this post at a reasonable length, but will gladly answer any questions and provide more information on these two goofballs.

If youā€™re able to give them the love and attention that these two need, I will need the following to make sure youā€™re the right fit:

It may seem excessive but I love these two to bits, and I will not rehome them unless Iā€™m sure itā€™s their best chance. If youā€™re able to take them in, I will provide further information about their diet, medical history, behaviors, etc.
Thank you for your time.

- Jess
I am not looking to adopt any more birds but I want to respond to your post because it sounds like you feel really guilty that you "have failed them". I assure you that you have not failed them. They have had each other and a huge cage to play in. I don't believe or a minute that they are disappointed that you didn't spend as much time with them as you had hoped you would. In fact, if they understood human language and could speak it fluently they would laugh and call you silly for even having such thoughts!
Do stop beating yourself up over this! I assure you that you are doing the right thing rehoming them as a bonded pair. Just try to enjoy them as much as you can while looking for a new home for them. Work on encouraging their good behaviors and discouraging their bad ones. People want to adopt birds that are reasonably comfortable perching on their hands or arms, even if covered with a sleeve or towel, so work on this so when a prospective adopter wants to meet them they make a good first impression. The fact that they come with built in companionship (each other) may make them even more appealing than if they were solo birds.
Good luck and take care of yourself!

Babyboo

Nov 18, 2018
Maine
Parrots
Green cheek conure named gabriel

Thank you for your time.

- Jess
Hi my name is Aimee I live in Maine I have 3 conures 2 are bonded they are Gabriel a green cheek and micha a sun conure so I know all about that, I also have angel who isn't liked by the other 2 she is green cheek as well. My animals are all very well taken care of I am home all day and mine are never in their cages unless I am not home. They have free roam through our living room,kitchen, and mudd room which are all like connected so I'm always on watching them. I am interested my only fear is where you say they get car sick and I am located in Bangor Maine, not sure exactly how many hrs away it is. My email is [removed] if you'd like to email me so we can chat more. I understand i am far away but maybe if you don't have any luck closer to you you'd consider it. I own my own home and my birds are my life, i have no children and have had my birds for 8yrs 6yrs and 3yrs.

Note from moderator: removed email address. Please feel free to send a message on the forums to chat. Any mod will be happy to send a message for you if you are not able.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
JoMo

JoMo

May 31, 2023
Parrots
I am not looking to adopt any more birds but I want to respond to your post because it sounds like you feel really guilty that you "have failed them". I assure you that you have not failed them. They have had each other and a huge cage to play in. I don't believe or a minute that they are disappointed that you didn't spend as much time with them as you had hoped you would. In fact, if they understood human language and could speak it fluently they would laugh and call you silly for even having such thoughts!
Do stop beating yourself up over this! I assure you that you are doing the right thing rehoming them as a bonded pair. Just try to enjoy them as much as you can while looking for a new home for them. Work on encouraging their good behaviors and discouraging their bad ones. People want to adopt birds that are reasonably comfortable perching on their hands or arms, even if covered with a sleeve or towel, so work on this so when a prospective adopter wants to meet them they make a good first impression. The fact that they come with built in companionship (each other) may make them even more appealing than if they were solo birds.
Good luck and take care of yourself!
Thank you so much for your immensely kind words and advice! There is a lot of guilt involved, along with plenty of tears and fears for their future. So it's helpful to hear some encouraging words during a hard time. I am very grateful to you and will take your words to heart.
Your advice is very good and I will work harder to get them to be more approachable. I know from my own experience of adopting these two from another family when they were 4 months old, that having them step up for them was encouraging. So I will try to get them to be better with that not only for their sake, but for their future family's sake.
Thank you again, you are much too kind!

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)

Thank you for your time.

- Jess
I'm in northeast Pennsylvania and if I didn't have so many birds already...I would be trying to get in touch with you to see what I can do ... unfortunately...lol... I don't have room for another cage... but I hope you have luck with your rehoming endeavor
( beautiful birds)

OP
JoMo

JoMo

May 31, 2023
Parrots
I'm in northeast Pennsylvania and if I didn't have so many birds already...I would be trying to get in touch with you to see what I can do ... unfortunately...lol... I don't have room for another cage... but I hope you have luck with your rehoming endeavor
( beautiful birds)
Thank you, I appreciate even the thought! šŸ’š

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None

Thank you for your time.

- Jess
I am 53 and live in Lancaster Ohio I was a veterinary assistant before I became disabled When I lived in Arizona I had around 10 birds I had to rehome to move to Ohio to be a caregiver for my 89 year old mother in law Now she is gone and I want to get my birds again I am home all the time and turning one wall of my living room into a playground for birds I would love to have them

Most Reactions

Latest posts