Bonded quaker parrot - introducing a mate

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hi everyone,
I am looking at moving my 9 year old male quaker outside into an aviary and getting a female mate for him around his age.
I have a friend who owns a pet shop and breeds quaker parrots, he has 12 pairs in aviaries.
Can anyone shed light on good experiences of moving their much loved quaker outside and giving them a mate? I’ve been told they bond fairly quick & that they love being in an outside environment.
TIA :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I got one of my quakers from a small hobby breeder. They had both outdoor and indoor cage. They were still part of the family, except when they had eggs and chick's then they preferred less humans.

Otherwise I have no idea

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am looking at moving my 9 year old male quaker outside into an aviary and getting a female mate for him around his age.
I have a friend who owns a pet shop and breeds quaker parrots, he has 12 pairs in aviaries.
Can anyone shed light on good experiences of moving their much loved quaker outside and giving them a mate? I’ve been told they bond fairly quick & that they love being in an outside environment.
TIA :)
There is always the possibility that your male will not like or be jealous of the new bird. If he really loves you, she may be the third wheel. And the third wheel who also wants your attention.

Its NOT exactly the same, but when I babysat my friend’s baby lovebird and years later her baby cockatiel, my Lucy Quaker was crushed. I had to have long talks with her assuring her she was the first bird and “that other bird “ was just visiting.

why do you want to get your Quaker a mate? To give him some attention from a bird friend and not from you? He may like her eventually or he may not. He may hate her and want to devour her soul. If you don’t want babies you could get him a male friend. ??

Good luck.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right - if he is bonded to you, as you say, why would you want to introduce another parrot, who will certainly change the equation? IT should be because YOU want another parrot, not to give him a 'friend' as that can often backfire in several ways.

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Because I am 35 weeks pregnant and my mental health is suffering because all he does lately is sqwuak. I either re home him which I do not want to do or give him a friend to take the pressure off me. It’s all good and well to fill a parrots needs but as a soon to be first mum I am very aware of post natal depression and my parrot has me in tears once a week because he won’t stop sqwuaking. I give him good healthy food with pellets, fresh fruit, vege, nuts etc. I give him attention throughout the day or when I am home from work but it’s never enough to him.
I have been told they bond quickly with other quakers and our weather he is great for him to be outside with a friend, I have been told he will get used to it and love it by an experienced breeder & this option makes me feel relieved. I got my quaker 9 years ago when I was just 20 years old and it probably was not the best educated decision but like I said I would rather give him a mate then give him away to someone I don’t know will treat him right. Our home block is small and I am outside often and so if my husband therefore he would see us everyday, I am not abandoning him just trying to find a solution for us to both be happy.

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I got one of my quakers from a small hobby breeder. They had both outdoor and indoor cage. They were still part of the family, except when they had eggs and chick's then they preferred less humans.

Otherwise I have no idea
Thanks for your reply :)
Yes it’s a hard one.. our house isn’t overly big and my quaker is a very noisy bugger. Introducing new baby in the next month and trying to find an option we can all be happy without re homing my quaker. I have unfortunately grown out of being able to bare the sqwuaking and neediness of my quaker :( I want him to be happy but I just can’t keep living like I am living for him. That might sound selfish but I need to look after my mental health too

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I know the constant unrelenting noise that quakers make can drive a person crazy.
I'm always trying to warn people about quakers. Its one of the first things will turn to and they go at it without one seconds beak for the entire day .

I'm sorry the previous tips didn't work out.

Because I worked with pet amnesty , and seen what happens when frustration and un happy situations go on . ...before giving up the parrot. I'm a big believer that sometimes parrots should be rehomed.

I think finding him a new home might be best. Be upfront about the noise.

Because adding a new quaker can make the noise even worse. Hormones leas to more vocalizing, and a second one will gladly join in and pick up the habit.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you have a wonderful and happy birthday.. I know you love your bird. I'm glad you have resched out and are exploring your options.

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I know the constant unrelenting noise that quakers make can drive a person crazy.
I'm always trying to warn people about quakers. Its one of the first things will turn to and they go at it without one seconds beak for the entire day .

I'm sorry the previous tips didn't work out.

Because I worked with pet amnesty , and seen what happens when frustration and un happy situations go on . ...before giving up the parrot. I'm a big believer that sometimes parrots should be rehomed.

I think finding him a new home might be best. Be upfront about the noise.

Because adding a new quaker can make the noise even worse. Hormones leas to more vocalizing, and a second one will gladly join in and pick up the habit.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you have a wonderful and happy birthday.. I know you love your bird. I'm glad you have resched out and are exploring your options.
Thank you for your reply. I just don’t know if I could re home :( I would never forgive myself if he ended up in a shitty home environment.
Do you think if we did add a second quaker, if they were outside do you think maybe it would be more likely my current quaker might bond with a new quaker friend and get used to the outdoor environment in a protected aviary? I also had the thought that if they bond and get too noisy in the yard even, I would feel better re homing my boy with his new bonded friend as I would feel less guilty and he would go with his friend..? I’m in NSW, Australia & our weather is mostly good here.
In breeding season especially he just wants constant attention which I cannot give him, he masturbates everyday in his cage :| that sounds gross but I didn’t know what other word to use to get the point across! Lol I thought maybe if that’s the case another (female) quaker might be good for him..

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
There is always the possibility that your male will not like or be jealous of the new bird. If he really loves you, she may be the third wheel. And the third wheel who also wants your attention.

Its NOT exactly the same, but when I babysat my friend’s baby lovebird and years later her baby cockatiel, my Lucy Quaker was crushed. I had to have long talks with her assuring her she was the first bird and “that other bird “ was just visiting.

why do you want to get your Quaker a mate? To give him some attention from a bird friend and not from you? He may like her eventually or he may not. He may hate her and want to devour her soul. If you don’t want babies you could get him a male friend. ??

Good luck.
Thanks Heather.
It is hard, I find myself avoiding being at home because of the sqwuaking. I feel bad and just want him to be happy.
I was always under the impression that he would bond better with a female?
Would there be a higher chance of conflict with a second male quaker do you think?

My sister had a male rainbow lorikeet & a male quaker caged separately inside her house who firstly did not get along but then were best friends and even hopped in each other’s cages to play etc.. I wish I knew the outcome of adding a mate, it would make my decision so much easier.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So I am going to recommend something that conventional thinking says is wrong. Get yourself a few hundred popsicle sticks and leave them in his cage. Quakers are born architects and build complex, strong nests in the wild. After he is done, tear it apart and let him start over. THere is a chance that this will keep him busy, if not your only out a few bucks. DO the other things that minimize hormonal behavior; very low to no sugar bearing foods like corn and fruit, 12 hrs dark quiet sleep, no scratching below the neck.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't how things would turn out with a mate. But you will have less time with a baby and a second bird with possibility of them breeding.

Some birds take to the Aviary life, and some don't. It could be a good solution, or not. It's a tough place to be in, when you are so unhappy and stressed and your burd us unhappy and stressed.

He didn't always scream all the time before right? But is reaction to you being pregnant and you needing more time to yourself and needing to care for yourself during pregnancy, and feelings of being overwhelmed?

Has he always materbated so much? Or only during breeding season

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So I am going to recommend something that conventional thinking says is wrong. Get yourself a few hundred popsicle sticks and leave them in his cage. Quakers are born architects and build complex, strong nests in the wild. After he is done, tear it apart and let him start over. THere is a chance that this will keep him busy, if not your only out a few bucks. DO the other things that minimize hormonal behavior; very low to no sugar bearing foods like corn and fruit, 12 hrs dark quiet sleep, no scratching below the neck.
I think this is a great idea! You will give your bird something else to do, and something that’s compelling for Quakers—building.

and thank you to the original poster for replying. I understand why you want another bird much better. I am still not sure that another bird would solve your needy Quaker problem, though.

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I don't how things would turn out with a mate. But you will have less time with a baby and a second bird with possibility of them breeding.

Some birds take to the Aviary life, and some don't. It could be a good solution, or not. It's a tough place to be in, when you are so unhappy and stressed and your burd us unhappy and stressed.

He didn't always scream all the time before right? But is reaction to you being pregnant and you needing more time to yourself and needing to care for yourself during pregnancy, and feelings of being overwhelmed?

Yes I think so, my priorities have changed. I want the best for my quaker but also just don’t have the time for him like I did when I was younger. I thought maybe a mate would make up for what I can’t give him but it unfortunately seems it could go either way with being a good or bad thing 😕
I’m between a rock & a hard place 👎

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
He does get 12 hours a night in a quiet bedroom but that will soon be changing to because there is no where to put his cage where this isn’t noise at night or early hours of the morning. It’s a really hard one for me to sort out as there are a few pros/cons to each idea.
I like the idea of the popsicle sticks but he needs a bigger cage, he wouldn’t except the last bigger cage I got him, creature of habit… lol

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot

Only during breeding season thank goodness.
He didn’t used to scream this bad because as soon as he called me I would just go to him and have him on my shoulder all the time, so yes it is likely a reaction to the change in attention he is getting but he is pushing me away and I don’t want to be near him which makes me feel so bad because he hasn’t got anyone else 🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s very frustrating ☹️

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
He does get 12 hours a night in a quiet bedroom but that will soon be changing to because there is no where to put his cage where this isn’t noise at night or early hours of the morning. It’s a really hard one for me to sort out as there are a few pros/cons to each idea.
I like the idea of the popsicle sticks but he needs a bigger cage, he wouldn’t except the last bigger cage I got him, creature of habit… lol
I can tell how much you love your bird and want the best for him but honestly feel you really need to seriously consider finding him a new home. The reason is with a newborn baby, you will simply not able to devout any more or any time for your bird. As you have said, your priorities have changed and it is totally understandable. Putting him in an outdoor aviary for a may or may not be mate is risky and you may end up having more problems to deal with than you currently have. You can start checking if any of your relatives or friends that may have an interest in keeping a parrot or have shown interest to your bird if they have met him before. Be honest with them and commit to them if things don't work out, you will take him back any time. On the other hand, if you don't have anyone in mind, you can try to find out if there is a parrot club in NSW, if so, join the club and ask if any members who are familiar with quakers and be interested to takeover your bird. These people will know how to take care of parrots and you will feel safer to handover your baby to them. Again, you can offer to take your birdie back if things don't work out.

I really think this may be the best option for you and your bird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you decide to look for a new home for your Quaker, please remember that people who have lost their bird due to sickness or old age would be so happy to find a new bird friend! I haven’t had a baby but I have a bunch of younger brothers and new babies take a lot of time and patience! You may be so tired from your baby that you don’t have energy for your bird, too.
I was looking for a Quaker very desperately a year and a half ago after my Lucy passed on at 24+ years old. Eventually I found Willow—I put out an ad on Craigslist—as I knew this was the right species of bird for me. He gets lots of attention and love, partly because I missed Lucy so much and also because he is a nice bird.
You could make someone lonely very happy. Your bird would be sad and confused for a while but that is better than being in a home where no one has time for him and he is scolded when he yells for attention. Everyone is very tired in a home with a new baby.
I don’t mean to make you feel bad—I want you to know that your bird could be very very loved in a new home, too, if you decide that’s the best plan.

OP
K

Kriick21

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I can tell how much you love your bird and want the best for him but honestly feel you really need to seriously consider finding him a new home. The reason is with a newborn baby, you will simply not able to devout any more or any time for your bird. As you have said, your priorities have changed and it is totally understandable. Putting him in an outdoor aviary for a may or may not be mate is risky and you may end up having more problems to deal with than you currently have. You can start checking if any of your relatives or friends that may have an interest in keeping a parrot or have shown interest to your bird if they have met him before. Be honest with them and commit to them if things don't work out, you will take him back any time. On the other hand, if you don't have anyone in mind, you can try to find out if there is a parrot club in NSW, if so, join the club and ask if any members who are familiar with quakers and be interested to takeover your bird. These people will know how to take care of parrots and you will feel safer to handover your baby to them. Again, you can offer to take your birdie back if things don't work out.

I really think this may be the best option for you and your bird.
Thank you for your reply and kind words. I would still like to leave re homing as a last resort & just try a friend for him first. I have spoken to a quaker breeder I know and he is willing to sell me a quaker but refund and take it back if it does not work out. I’d love to try that first as my quaker has been in my life so long I couldn’t not try keep him & find another way for him to be happy. Hopefully this path works out

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Thank you for your reply and kind words. I would still like to leave re homing as a last resort & just try a friend for him first. I have spoken to a quaker breeder I know and he is willing to sell me a quaker but refund and take it back if it does not work out. I’d love to try that first as my quaker has been in my life so long I couldn’t not try keep him & find another way for him to be happy. Hopefully this path works out
Totally understand why you want to go this route first.

Yes, it sounds like a good plan and I sincerely hope it works out well for both of you.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts