Brand new budgie owner...Handfeeding baby

DeannaD

Feb 19, 2014
Yesterday I was at a "friends" house who breeds English budgies. He had a pair of birds that had a clutch but rejected the babies, kicking them out of the nest. He doesn't/wouldn't do anything to try and help the babies. He just let them die on the bottom of the cage. When I was there one baby was left. He was crying on the bottom of the cage. I couldn't stand the fact that basically this little baby was left for dead so I took him.

I called a vet to ask what to do and was given a list of supplies to buy and a how to handfeed lesson over the phone. The baby survived his first night with me and eating like a little champ. My so-called-friend said he thinks the baby is 10 days old, so he'd be 11 days today.

I've never had a bird before let alone such a tiny baby so any advice I get is greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of my little one from yesterday.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
WOW! I'd like to kick your friend. Thank you for taking him/her in. I can't help, but someone else should pipe in soon.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The main thing is temperature, you need to keep the baby warm. Next thing is formula as you need to make the formula in proper temperature. Also mixing it at the right texture for the age, you need to make it watery at your stage! Then just feed the baby slowly with a spoon or syringe (I find if you use short stubby tip syringes, they're safer). Right now at his age he needs to be fed 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 12am but please do adjust depending on how fast he ingest the food within the crop sac, always make sure to feed with a empty crop sac. Be sure to view problems such as sour crop, hard crop, etc. Those issues needs to be dealt with ASAP. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, it's been many years since I hand raised budgies but I'll do my best.

CrazyEyes

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Tikki-Mustache Parakeet, Beaker-Sun Conure, Bongo-B&G Macaw
keep it warm. as for feeding.... we feed them until their crop is full or they refuse the syringe. when the crop is empty, feed again. make sure the formula isn't to thick.

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
Oh that's really sad that your friend would let them to die :( I felt teary reading that! Good on you for rescuing the little baby I hope it all goes well. Keep us updated.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a sweet little baby! I am so happy you took him in:) Good luck with him!

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
Awww! What a sweet baby! I'm wondering if you could find another breeder in your area who would be willing, under the dire circumstances, to give you a "hands-on" lesson in feeding??? (Maybe check with the vet or local pet supply stores to recommend someone.) Not sure if it's winter where you are, but it might be worth the trip out for the peace-of-mind of some expert help. Or, if you're going to try anyway, would your "friend" come over and at least give you a lesson, or was he letting them die because he didn't know how to feed them himself? Very best of luck! You have a good heart!

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
Awww! What a sweet baby! I'm wondering if you could find another breeder in your area who would be willing, under the dire circumstances, to give you a "hands-on" lesson in feeding??? (Maybe check with the vet or local pet supply stores to recommend someone.) Not sure if it's winter where you are, but it might be worth the trip out for the peace-of-mind of some expert help. Or, if you're going to try anyway, would your "friend" come over and at least give you a lesson, or was he letting them die because he didn't know how to feed them himself? Very best of luck! You have a good heart!

Good idea!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Two thumbs up for you and your choice to save that adorable baby.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Good for you! That "friend" of yours should perhaps separate the birds, take away the nest box or whatever they are nesting in. If someone plans on breeding, they should be prepared for doing whatever required including caring for the babies should this happen. That's a disgusting person to just let them die.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How is the baby doing? Hopefully everything is going well with the little guy:)

Most Reactions