Handfeeding older babies?

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
I have a pair that has successfully raised babies before. I keep Bourkes. They had three babies, they abandoned the runt that fell out of the nest before they had feathers, still had an egg tooth he was quite a bit younger. I took him and am handfeeding, they are all old enough they are fledged now. Bourkes continue to feed for two to three weeks or longer after fledging and leaving the nest, mom has now abandoned both the older babies. I have been trying to handfeed the past day but they will not take it, they're imprinted on mom. Any suggestions on how to convince them to handfeed? Or how to get them to wean early?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a pair that has successfully raised babies before. I keep Bourkes. They had three babies, they abandoned the runt that fell out of the nest before they had feathers, still had an egg tooth he was quite a bit younger. I took him and am handfeeding, they are all old enough they are fledged now. Bourkes continue to feed for two to three weeks or longer after fledging and leaving the nest, mom has now abandoned both the older babies. I have been trying to handfeed the past day but they will not take it, they're imprinted on mom. Any suggestions on how to convince them to handfeed? Or how to get them to wean early?
Mix some small pellets with formula so it's thick and lumpy and offer it to them on a small spoon or in a little bowl.

OP
BourkeHaven

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
Mix some small pellets with formula so it's thick and lumpy and offer it to them on a small spoon or in a little bowl.
They are already being offered handfeeding formula like that, they will not eat from a spoon. I do have a bowl of pellets in there too. I'll try putting a soaked bowl in

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They are already being offered handfeeding formula like that, they will not eat from a spoon. I do have a bowl of pellets in there too. I'll try putting a soaked bowl in
They're probably just ready to eat on their own. If they wanted the formula they would eat it. Dont be surprised at how much less they eat after they are fully feathered and mostly full grown. My budgie Rocky ate a lot when she was handfeeding but stopped accepting formula pretty suddenly and her consumption went way down and her poops got much smaller and more like adult budgies'. Their big growth spurt is mostly finished.
Does the "runt" still eat the formula?

OP
BourkeHaven

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
They're probably just ready to eat on their own. If they wanted the formula they would eat it. Dont be surprised at how much less they eat after they are fully feathered and mostly full grown. My budgie Rocky ate a lot when she was handfeeding but stopped accepting formula pretty suddenly and her consumption went way down and her poops got much smaller and more like adult budgies'. Their big growth spurt is mostly finished.
Does the "runt" still eat the formula?
Yes he eats like a pig. Both of the other ones are extremely light completely empty crops and the one is very very weak he can't even hold his head up hardly because he hasn't had food. They are not ready to wean by any means, they should be still eating formula for three weeks at least. I have some hope the one oldest may be able to switch over but it's looking like the middle aged one isn't going to make it unless he starts eating something.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes he eats like a pig. Both of the other ones are extremely light completely empty crops and the one is very very weak he can't even hold his head up hardly because he hasn't had food. They are not ready to wean by any means, they should be still eating formula for three weeks at least. I have some hope the one oldest may be able to switch over but it's looking like the middle aged one isn't going to make it unless he starts eating something.
Must go to vet ASAP for tube feeding!

OP
BourkeHaven

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
They are both eating better and have started picking at seeds, so they seem to be able to wean early.

Most Reactions

Latest posts