MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi all, thank you for the lovely welcome. I am proud mum to a 10 week old, Lutino Indian Ringneck called Missy. I hand raised her from 5 weeks, new thing for me, she is now weaning (pretty much off it now... picked at it last night - only time neo food was offered). She is fully flying, landings still need work tho.
But she's a Brat!
She is out of the cage from when I come into the lounge (where her cage is) in the morning until she goes to bed in the evening and I have heard I shouldn't do this.... so now I am battling to try to rectify this.... and she does not like it.
She is into absolutely EVERYTHING!!! and I am constantly saying no and removing her from those places she isn't allowed. I've built her a tree stand and a bush(?) stand and while she does use them but isn't on them for long, even tho I have attached toys to them (since the photos were taken). The "bush" stand sits on the table next to me abut she rarely goes on it, she'd rather be "assisting" me in what I am doing or going somewhere she shouldn't. I know it's all a call for attention but she is calling for it like 24/7 and I can't get things done. Btw, I am retired (disability) so I am home every day and she goes into her cage when I have to go out.
As you can see in the photos (the tree I built her with the poop catcher underneath - looks butt ugly but it's functional) I do art work.... I don't want to have to hide it all away so she won't touch it but how do I stop her from doing it in the first place?
I also have two little dogs, she gets jealous, yes I created the monster and now I am having to deal with it. She goes as far as to drop a toy on the floor and then fly down to "get the toy" but instead goes to one of my little dogs and scares her. Today is the first time I saw that both of them could get in close proximity to each other without one fleeing in terror. Oh and she throws everything on the floor... well not throw exactly, but she goes to the edge of the table and ... drops it.... again, everything....
There are dozens of threads under IRNs but if there is one I should go to to read, could someone share that with me please? Heck I know I need to read them all... and no doubt will do in time but just some knowledgeable help from people who have been thru what I am going thru would help so much.
Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• 20211129_131339.jpg
    20211129_131339.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211129_131355.jpg
    20211129_131355.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 103

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Missy is beautiful In! In your situation I would bird proof the area. Put your art supplies in a chest and anything else she shouldn't be getting into. I am also an artist and the paints I use are very toxic to them and all animals really(oil acrylic). I would not have your dogs out with your bird unsupervised. Have you tried clicker training with Missy? Foraging toys? Mine recently started destroying wood! Before this it was grass balls. Hope this helps.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I see a very few paper rolls being used as toys, but that gets boring to parrots rather quickly. I tried several different types of wood toys with Salty, and now that I know what his favorites are I stock up on them. Really there is not much on the stand or tree that would interest him much , if at all. So you might want to try that.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Missy is beautiful In! In your situation I would bird proof the area. Put your art supplies in a chest and anything else she shouldn't be getting into. I am also an artist and the paints I use are very toxic to them and all animals really(oil acrylic). I would not have your dogs out with your bird unsupervised. Have you tried clicker training with Missy? Foraging toys? Mine recently started destroying wood! Before this it was grass balls. Hope this helps.
I've ordered a clicker (I live rural) so at the moment I am doing target stick work. This morning she was really angry that I left her in her cage with some food whilst I went for a shower. I usually don't uncover her and let her out until I've showered so it was a bit different this morn... all trial and error. I never let her out of the cage unless I am here so the dogs issue is never out of my control. I fear for my dogs, not her. She can be a beast (looking forward to bluffing - not!).
I guess I am treating her like a child.... thinking telling her no, will sink in...

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I see a very few paper rolls being used as toys, but that gets boring to parrots rather quickly. I tried several different types of wood toys with Salty, and now that I know what his favorites are I stock up on them. Really there is not much on the stand or tree that would interest him much , if at all. So you might want to try that.
Yes as I mentioned the photo was taken before the tree was "decorated" as such. I had just fitted the poop catcher so everything was stripped as I had to drill holes She has ropes - different types, plastic chain, spin balls, real twigs, leather - and other things, parrot toys, and loofah. She seems to like the loofah toys so I am going to make her some myself. Bells or anything jingly - I'm not sure she likes because she targets them with what looks, to me, like aggression.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
LOL, they all love to fight with bells! My 'zon fights with his and loves it! Foul bell of mystery, I will smite you !!
I concocted a set of bells using plastic shot glasses some piping cord and wooden beads as part of a means to keep her occupied in the cage more but she uses them to bash against the side of the cage much like a prisoner using a tin cup against the bars screaming let me out. I will try and catch her on video doing this.... it's all out war trying to get her to stay happy in her cage

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
I concocted a set of bells using plastic shot glasses some piping cord and wooden beads as part of a means to keep her occupied in the cage more but she uses them to bash against the side of the cage much like a prisoner using a tin cup against the bars screaming let me out. I will try and catch her on video doing this.... it's all out war trying to get her to stay happy in her cage
I want to see!

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I've ordered a clicker (I live rural) so at the moment I am doing target stick work. This morning she was really angry that I left her in her cage with some food whilst I went for a shower. I usually don't uncover her and let her out until I've showered so it was a bit different this morn... all trial and error. I never let her out of the cage unless I am here so the dogs issue is never out of my control. I fear for my dogs, not her. She can be a beast (looking forward to bluffing - not!).
I guess I am treating her like a child.... thinking telling her no, will sink in...
Just going thru the replies again, seeing if there was anything I missed and, sure enough...
What are grass balls? I'm sure they're not something found on a gorilla, although....

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Just going thru the replies again, seeing if there was anything I missed and, sure enough...
What are grass balls? I'm sure they're not something found on a gorilla, although....
I'd take twine and tie them to the top of the cage. I believe they are rabbit toys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211210-185015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211210-185015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 77

Most Reactions