Breeding question

Joeygello

Jun 16, 2020
New Jersey
Parrots
Cinnamon and pineapple conure pair
I have two Conures one cinnamon one pineapple male and female
When the time is right I’m looking to breed them and I was told between 8 to 12 months. My question is will the mama care for her babies following the birth. And if so when can I take them

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Breeding is not just letting them get to the right age and adding a nestbox Most of the time breeding does NOT go as planned and no, there's no guarantee the birds will be good parents, they could mutilate the babies in which case you would have to pull them out and separated from their parents and begin hand-feeding on your own, which takes skill, experience and dedication, along with around the clock work.

Where ever you're seeing '8 to 12 months' is not correct. It's better to wait until at least 18 months of age so that they can start becoming mature. At 8 months they are still very much babies themselves! You'll also want to make sure your pair is NOT related in any way and that they are in a cage adequate enough to keep 4-6 babies in should they be able to raise them properly on their own.

For reference -- I breed cockatiels! Keep researching, be sure to read all the threads in the breeding subforum!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your conures!

Breeding is not for the faint of heart and requires much contingency planning. Not all parents are attentive and early abandonment requires human round the clock feeding. Do you plan to keep the offspring or gift/sell them to family, friends, or via advertisement?

Please read this excellent thread written by one of our experienced breeder-members: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/54987-before-i-start-breed.html

Most Reactions