MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
lexx,

First let me say that both Molly:green2: and Cody:green2: are male birds. I had Molly for about three weeks prior to the DNA results so I decided to continue calling her/him :D the same I had been for the last few weeks.

I did a lot of reading prior to deciding to bring home another bird. Everything I read said that bringing a GCC into the home when there was already a bird would be difficult but if they were both GCC's the were going to get along eventually, it was just a matter of time. Of course, there was always a small possibility that they may never get along.

Once the quarentine was over and I had Cody's vet results, I would handle one bird at a time while leaving the other bird in the cage. I would always take care of Molly first since Molly was here first. Molly would eat and then I'd put her back in the cage. Then feed Cody, then cage Cody. Then I would play/spend time with Molly for an hour or two and the do the same with Cody while Molly was in the cage. Every two hours I'd swap birds.

After three days I brought them out at the same time. I got Molly, giving her kisses and telling her that I love her (the usual). Then I took Molly with me to get Cody and then while Molly was on my shoulder, I gave Cody love also (kisses etc.) I always held one in each hand, slowly talking to them while telling them both that I love them and to be good. I wanted Molly and Cody to know that I loved them as individuals and at the same time that I had accepted the other bird into out flock.

Initially Molly began beeking Cody directly on the beak and I soon realized that Molly was cleaning Codys beek. Molly then begin to preen Cody and I was so happy! Cody would then try to return the favor and preen Molly but Molly had some sensitive pin feathers. Molly would let out a little shreek and then nip at Cody, Cody would nip back and then all hell would break out. I'd grab them and pull them apart and I cannot tell you how many time Cody bit the crap out of my hand.

I took it slow, showing each that I loved them and accepted the other bird. Several times a day I'd bring them together and each preening would end in a fight. I began thinking that they'd never get along. Day three started the usual way with a little fight at breakfast (I tried to distract them with food).

That little fight on the morning of the third day was the last fight they had and it's been a month now. I always have them out at the same time but I am always listening for anything that could be the beginning of a fight. They play very well together, Cody on his back while Molly is standing over him with her claw on his chest or face. LOL. They are like two peas in a pod and are always following each other around.

As for housing them, they each have their own cage and likely will remain that way for a while longer. I don't know what I'd do if I woke up in the morning or came home from work and one of them was injured from a fight. I spoke to my avian vet and the owner of the bird store where I got Cody. The recommended that if I chose to house them in the same cage then I should wait a minimum of a month after I was absolutely sure they were getting along.

It's a little long but I hope it helps.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
lexx,

First let me say that both Molly:green2: and Cody:green2: are male birds. I had Molly for about three weeks prior to the DNA results so I decided to continue calling her/him :D the same I had been for the last few weeks.

I did a lot of reading prior to deciding to bring home another bird. Everything I read said that bringing a GCC into the home when there was already a bird would be difficult but if they were both GCC's the were going to get along eventually, it was just a matter of time. Of course, there was always a small possibility that they may never get along.

Once the quarentine was over and I had Cody's vet results, I would handle one bird at a time while leaving the other bird in the cage. I would always take care of Molly first since Molly was here first. Molly would eat and then I'd put her back in the cage. Then feed Cody, then cage Cody. Then I would play/spend time with Molly for an hour or two and the do the same with Cody while Molly was in the cage. Every two hours I'd swap birds.

After three days I brought them out at the same time. I got Molly, giving her kisses and telling her that I love her (the usual). Then I took Molly with me to get Cody and then while Molly was on my shoulder, I gave Cody love also (kisses etc.) I always held one in each hand, slowly talking to them while telling them both that I love them and to be good. I wanted Molly and Cody to know that I loved them as individuals and at the same time that I had accepted the other bird into out flock.

Initially Molly began beeking Cody directly on the beak and I soon realized that Molly was cleaning Codys beek. Molly then begin to preen Cody and I was so happy! Cody would then try to return the favor and preen Molly but Molly had some sensitive pin feathers. Molly would let out a little shreek and then nip at Cody, Cody would nip back and then all hell would break out. I'd grab them and pull them apart and I cannot tell you how many time Cody bit the crap out of my hand.

I took it slow, showing each that I loved them and accepted the other bird. Several times a day I'd bring them together and each preening would end in a fight. I began thinking that they'd never get along. Day three started the usual way with a little fight at breakfast (I tried to distract them with food).

That little fight on the morning of the third day was the last fight they had and it's been a month now. I always have them out at the same time but I am always listening for anything that could be the beginning of a fight. They play very well together, Cody on his back while Molly is standing over him with her claw on his chest or face. LOL. They are like two peas in a pod and are always following each other around.

As for housing them, they each have their own cage and likely will remain that way for a while longer. I don't know what I'd do if I woke up in the morning or came home from work and one of them was injured from a fight. I spoke to my avian vet and the owner of the bird store where I got Cody. The recommended that if I chose to house them in the same cage then I should wait a minimum of a month after I was absolutely sure they were getting along.

It's a little long but I hope it helps.

That was extremely helpful, MollyGreenCheeks. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Your birds are lucky to have you = )

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
That was very informative info and exactly what I HAD in mind if I decide to bring home a Sun Conure. I have always wanted one but I have such a great ongoing relationship with my little GCC Forrest that I am so afraid another bird might hinder that relationship. In your case you have 2 GCC.....I would have a gcc and a Sun. I would never do anything to damper the relationship I have with him I have found a sweetie quite by accident. Not nippy, not loud and very sweet. I am just wondering how the two would react together because they are different birds. Has anyone had any experience with these two types of conures together?
Forrest is pretty much cage free all the time. I DO have a room that I am thinking of turning into an aviary. At one time I raised parakeets in there years ago.
They would both be males and Forrest loves to see pics of Sun conures. He always tongues them to death. LOL
Input would be appreciated. I really have to weigh the stuation before I add him to our family.

OP
MollyGreenCheeks

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
That was very informative info and exactly what I HAD in mind if I decide to bring home a Sun Conure. I have always wanted one but I have such a great ongoing relationship with my little GCC Forrest that I am so afraid another bird might hinder that relationship. In your case you have 2 GCC.....I would have a gcc and a Sun. I would never do anything to damper the relationship I have with him I have found a sweetie quite by accident. Not nippy, not loud and very sweet. I am just wondering how the two would react together because they are different birds. Has anyone had any experience with these two types of conures together?
Forrest is pretty much cage free all the time. I DO have a room that I am thinking of turning into an aviary. At one time I raised parakeets in there years ago.
They would both be males and Forrest loves to see pics of Sun conures. He always tongues them to death. LOL
Input would be appreciated. I really have to weigh the stuation before I add him to our family.

dishgal1,

I'm glad you found the info helpful.

I thought for a while abouut trying to bring home another type of bird but was concerned that would result in real injury. I too love the Suns and Jendays. In addition I find Caiques entertaining and beautiful also. My main concern with bringing home a bigger bird is the size difference. Likely the GCC, who is not afraid of anything, would provoke the bigger and the bigger could put a real hurting on the GCC. Just my two cents.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
My little Forrest loves to look at pics of Suns. He tries to tongue them to death. LOL.......Other birds he gets cantankerous. Hates the look of cockatiels. I showed him a pic of the bird I am looking at. He seemed to like it. I may have to take him to see the bird. The bird is a year old and a one family bird, the same old story, don't have enough time to devote to him, but seem genuinely concerned about a forever home for him. So I feel it would be pretty safe for Forrest to go. I would still keep them separated for the first month just to be sure. Having to think about this a lot. Sure don't want to destroy the bod I have with Forrest, my greatest concern. He learned a new word today, "Sweet". He has 5 words now, "I love you" and "yeah"
Right now he is stealing my pens from the desk and one by one taking them up to my shoulder and dropping them. He is quite the little clown. When he gets tired of the computer he attacks my hand on the mouse. LOL

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Forest may get along with a Sun, but that's not to say they will never have a dispute. The worry here is that green cheek conures think that they are the size of a Macaw. They are bossy little fellers! They will not hesitate to bite a bird five times their size, but if the bigger bird bites back in defense they can be seriously injured. Suns are significantly larger than green cheeks, and are very capable of injuring them if provoked. I've read that it's best to keep green cheeks with other green cheeks. I believe one of the moderators here had to give her green cheek away because he got injured after picking a fight with an African Grey. Of course, there are always exceptions. I suppose that I would just be too worried to take that risk.

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
OH WOW, you could be right. They are little Napoleons. They might never be able to be together at play. Need to do a lot more thinking on this one.
I really appreciate all the input. Maybe Forrest just needs to be an only Fid.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I thought for a while abouut trying to bring home another type of bird but was concerned that would result in real injury. I too love the Suns and Jendays. In addition I find Caiques entertaining and beautiful also. My main concern with bringing home a bigger bird is the size difference. Likely the GCC, who is not afraid of anything, would provoke the bigger and the bigger could put a real hurting on the GCC. Just my two cents.

This part made me LOL. Loki :green2: is definitely trying to provoke Sugar :grey: and poor Sugar doesn't know what to do. She tries to get away from him :20: We plan on keeping them separated as much as possible while still being visible to each other for a while. It'll be many many months before they will likely get anywhere near each other :eek:

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
OH WOW, you could be right. They are little Napoleons. They might never be able to be together at play. Need to do a lot more thinking on this one.
I really appreciate all the input. Maybe Forrest just needs to be an only Fid.

Another green cheek might be a safer option. Besides, there are many different color mutations of green cheeks. So you've certainly a lot to choose from looks wise.

DSC_5735ed.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions