Bringing new rug into home

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
Boo, Rest In Peace, sweet angel
Sorry for all of the questions, but because of the holiday season, we have some new items coming into our home and I want to make sure I’m aware of any dangers to the birds. I was given a large rug (7’x10’) and it definitely had that “new” smell when I received it. We’re letting it air out on the patio for now, and we’re hoping to bring it inside once the smell goes away. Does this sound like a good course of action or is there more we should do?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
New rugs/carpets often have formaldehyde and other chemicals added during production and/or shipping. Given relative size, (vs re-carpeting home or giant carpet) a thorough airing outside should be sufficient.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Area rugs are a great choice with Parrots as they can be sent to a cleaner to be washed, dried and returned (mid to larger cities). Never use a carpet cleaner machine on an area rug as the water will travel to the floor below (commonly a finished wood floor) and seriously damaging it.

Scott is correct regarding likely chemicals. Please note that the chemicals use vary depending on the type of area rug. Area rugs and/or runners, commonly made directly from 'wall to wall' carpeting holds the highest likelihood of large chemical load. True area rugs, which are woven with specific designs /patterns and boarders tend to have fewer chemicals, but just as dangerous.

As stated, your approach is great! Error on the safe side is well founded for People Owned by Parrots! :D

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I recently got another area rug shipped to me (to match one I already had). As with the first, I put it into a side bedroom to air out (with windows open). However, this time I immediately moved it from one room to a different room to air out. When I did this I observed that a large portion of the "new carpet" ODOR that permeated the first room, had actually come from the Plastic Wrapper of the rug, moreso than from the rug itself.

I still let the rug air-out, for more than a week.

However, because of this, I recommend if possible UN-Wrapping your rug Outside and then disposing of the plastic quickly, directly into a closed, Outside trash bin. Because there seems to be a large amount off-gassing which comes directly from that plastic. Probably rug fumes that were trapped during storage and shipping.

Last edited:
OP
petit.perroquet

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
Thank you both so much for the advice! That makes me feel a lot better. We’re letting it have a good airing out before we bring it back inside. Noted about the carpet cleaner!

P.S. I love “People Owned by Parrots.” Isn’t that the truth! Hahahaha

OP
petit.perroquet

petit.perroquet

Dec 9, 2020
Parrots
Dill, a cockatiel
Petey, a budgie
Scout, a budgie
I recently got another area rug shipped to me (to match one I already had). As with the first, I put it into a side bedroom to air out (with windows open). However, this time I immediately moved it from one room to a different room to air out. When I did this I observed that a large portion of the "new carpet" ODOR that permeated the first room, had actually come from the Plastic Wrapper of the rug, moreso than from the rug itself.

I still let the rug air-out, for more than a week.

However, because of this, I recommend if possible UN-Wrapping your rug Outside and then disposing of the plastic quickly, directly into a closed, Outside trash bin. Because there seems to be a large amount off-gassing which comes directly from that plastic. Probably rug fumes that were trapped during storage and shipping.

Oh wow, thanks for the great advice!! We had disposed of the plastic in our kitchen garbage can (separate room from the birds), but I will take that out today to be safe. :white1:

Most Reactions