Bringing your parrot to a friends house?

JessieRosie

Mar 25, 2014
London
Parrots
Rose Crowned Conure
Hi there everyone!

I am new to the parrot world and to this forum :)

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice as to whether it is ok to bring my 6 month old conure with me to a friends house for the evening and then home again.

She's been to the vet and seemed to enjoy the train journey and being outside. She's also very happy with friends and new people. Would it be stressful or fun for her?

Thank you for your help!

Jess and Rosie :green1:x

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
A lot of birds like going everywhere with their owners. Just some things to consider though:

1. Does the friend have dogs/cat, and if so, will they be willing to put them outside/kennel them while your bird is there? If not, it is NOT worth the risk of your baby being injured or killed by a larger predatory animal (and no matter how "nice" a dog or cat is, if it's not used to bird, it see them as a play thing or lunch). Not too long ago, someones conure got eaten by a dog when the owners weren't paying 100% attention for just a few minutes.

2. Do you have a cage or carrier with food/water dishes? A short walk on your shoulder may be one thing, but a bird who will be away for several hours needs food and water provided, as well as a safe means of transport. A harness is not sufficient for a longer time period away from home.

3. Is the friends house otherwise conducive to your bird- i.e. no smoking indoors, no drugs or excessive alcohol being used there (things that could impure judgement and lead to your bird being injured/killed), no teflon/non-stick pans, doesn't use excessive air fresheners/candles- you know, things that other people may not know are dangerous to birds or situations that may put your bird in danger.

So long as its a safe place for you bird to be in, I see no problem. Many birds enjoy traveling and "seeing the world", and it is actually very good for them mentally to get out and about:)

Wanted to add, our bird has come many places with us. The only friends house who I was leery of bringing him to (and never did) had a cat and smoked inside. But he came to my parents house, as well as to other relatives, and we had several neighbors who were just thrilled when Kiwi came over to watch a movie or something. He always came in his travel cage, which he could stay in or was allowed to sit on top of. He was never really allowed to wander in other peoples homes though, too many dangers in a non bird-proofed house, plus if he pooped or chewed, that would not be good!

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Taking your bird out for visits is fine, but Kiwibird has raised all the concerns I would mention :) if the home is safe and bird friendly, no reason why your baby won't enjoy socializing!

We took 3 cockatiels on a roadtrip to Gatlinburg, TN years ago. We had a mini van and took a full flight aviary cage for them, they loved it. The two babies actually have traveled quite a bit, spending nights in hotels and such, we joke that they were car birds :) They would sit on a headrest or back of seat and react to scenery zipping by and eventually just took naps.

When our weather gets warmer, we plan on taking Ivory to the nursing home my mother is at to visit her and also up to my in-laws for visits. But, those visits have to be coordinated with my sister in law to make sure she is not bringing over her dog Sam who comes to many holiday meals :)

I also would not take your bird on visits if he is not bonded to you. In case anything goes wrong, you want him to see you as the safe zone, versus taking off in a mad dash to find a safe place and end up injured or getting away.

But overall, adding new friends to her flock for a friendly social bird is a wonderful thing :)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I bring my birds for visits to friends homes, and they love it. All of the items pointed out by Kiwibird are essential to observe, for a safe, enjoyable trip.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
Always have a poop plan. If your friend's home is carpet everywhere and nice furniture, problems could arise.

OP
J

JessieRosie

Mar 25, 2014
London
Parrots
Rose Crowned Conure
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your responses :)

My friends house is pet and smoke free, and only 2 stops away on the train. Rosie has met this friend twice already and they get on well (she was actually the one to ask if I could bring her- even after i warned her of droppings!). I have a carrier and will bring water, treats and toys for her to stay amused (although she's only too happy to sit and play with my hair!).

It's so lovely to hear such nice stories of you all taking your birds away with you. I look forward to doing that in the future. I definitely think it's good for her to have a change of scenery!

Thanks again for the help!

Jess and Rosie x

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
As other mentioned above, make sure your bird is bonded to you and have a poop plan. My Lily has all that under her belt, so she gets to travel everywhere with me and my family; friends' houses, campings, hikings, parks, and anywhere that doesn't envolve locking her alone in the car. My Lily is fully flighted and has escaped outdoor a few times. But as soon as I turned my back and walked back inside the house, she follwed me in. She flew out of the house only to follow me; not because she wanted to escape. I am not worrying about her escaping, but rather hawks going after her. She got chased by a pair of hawks already. Also, train your conure to poop where you want. I trained Lily to poop on hard surface in front of me. She is a velcro bird and always sits on our shoulders. When she needs to poop, she flies down to a hard surface (easy to wipe) like tables, poops, and then flies back up to my shoulder. I would be in trouble if she poops on our friends' fabric furnitures!

OP
J

JessieRosie

Mar 25, 2014
London
Parrots
Rose Crowned Conure
Hi everyone :)

Thanks again for all your replies. Rosie had a great time last night and enjoyed all the attention! She even joined in on the dinner party with her own portion of rice and veg :)

She managed to keep poop off the furniture, but plenty on her hostess! luckily she didn't mind at all! Need to start some potty training I think....

Cheers,

Jess and Rosie :green1:

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Glad to hear she enjoyed the time out, and the hostess was 'understanding';) It's nice for birds to get out and about, it makes them more social.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
That is so awesome!! It's great to socialize your bird! I'm sure she had a wonderful time!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I wish I was brave enough to take Percy on an outing but I'm soooo overprotective, I'd spoil the outing for everyone :(

Glad your girl enjoyed it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts