Broken blood feather kinda?

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
Ok so P thought it would be a wonderful idea to jump from the top of her play stand in the process breaking/ pulling out her tail feather that was 3/4 done coming in. The feather itself does not appear broken or else it was a very clean break. The site where the feather came from had a blood spot and about a centimeter long shaft (I think its called that). It never starting dripping blood or anything but the tail feather itself had a decent amount of blood come out of the end of the quill. I called the ER vet and they told me they weren't technically avian vets and to call if it started dripping blood. As a first time bird owner I am totally panicked hearing horror stories that your bird can bleed to death from a broken blood feather. I have cornstarch on hand in case it started to actively bleed. Should I be totally panicked bringing her to the nearest hospital that does birds or should I just monitor till the morning when her regular vet is open? Also if shes not preening it, acting normal, not bleeding should I not put the cornstarch on it since she might look to "preen" it off and irritate it?
Thanks in Advance!:red1::red1::red1: attached are photos of the feather
5168pj.jpg
whimpi.jpg

Attachments

• P tail 2.jpg
    P tail 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 354
  • P tail.jpg
    P tail.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 567
That first drop of blood from your feathered baby is a scary event, I know. I think from your detailed description and photos your bird will be just fine. No need to use the cornstarch unless you need to stop bleeding.

The difference in a broken mature feather and a broken blood feather is unmistakable when you see it. When the blood supply is actively feeding a growing feather and it gets broken the part of the feather shaft remaining in the body can leak like a straw, causing major blood loss, in that case the feather shaft needs to be pulled out, that closes the follicle and stops the bleeding. As the feather grows to maturity, less and less blood goes to the feather so it's pretty rare to have an actively bleeding blood feather. Most of the broken feathers with a little blood will heal themselves and the feather shaft will fall out naturally.

You may want to wash the area with warm water and have a close look at the remaining shaft just to make sure the bleeding has completely stopped.

Thank you! It's been almost 2 hours and hasn't bled anymore since the originally incident. Still wont let me look at the area from more then a second but I can pet around the area and there is no blood. Thank you for easing my nerves!

You're very welcome. :) I think your little guy will be good as new before you know it.

It's good to have cornstarch on hand and it's safe to use. In situations similar to yours I doused my bird with cornstarch a couple of times before I learned when to panic and when not to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back