Broken wing

Elvis

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
Ringneck
Hi all

new bird owner - what to do - I put cornstarch on it is there anything else I need to do or take him to the vet ?

Attachments

• 93C5A0B6-FB44-4665-8CD0-CAC3A8B9BEFA.jpeg
    93C5A0B6-FB44-4665-8CD0-CAC3A8B9BEFA.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 62

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Elvis, though I am sorry for the troubling circumstances.

I am not sure if what you have there is indeed a broken wing, it would appear to more likely be a broken blood feather, which is when a growing feather's shaft ruptures and can bleed quite profusely. Putting corn starch or plain flour on it can help to stop the bleeding but you must make sure that it stops completely otherwise your bird may lose a lot of blood and it can be very dangerous indeed. He may also start picking at it even once the bleeding has stopped and might start it bleeding all over again, so you will need to watch him VERY closely to ensure that this does not happen.

I am not sure exactly in the world you are located, but your best bet would be to get him to a certified avian vet (not a dog and cat vet) as soon as is practicable. Understanding that there may be limits on avian vet availability at this time and in your location, the following link may help you find one close to you.......

Thank you for joining, and I wish your little one a full recovery!

OP
E

Elvis

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
Ringneck
Welcome to the forums, Elvis, though I am sorry for the troubling circumstances.

I am not sure if what you have there is indeed a broken wing, it would appear to more likely be a broken blood feather, which is when a growing feather's shaft ruptures and can bleed quite profusely. Putting corn starch or plain flour on it can help to stop the bleeding but you must make sure that it stops completely otherwise your bird may lose a lot of blood and it can be very dangerous indeed. He may also start picking at it even once the bleeding has stopped and might start it bleeding all over again, so you will need to watch him VERY closely to ensure that this does not happen.

I am not sure exactly in the world you are located, but your best bet would be to get him to a certified avian vet (not a dog and cat vet) as soon as is practicable. Understanding that there may be limits on avian vet availability at this time and in your location, the following link may help you find one close to you.......

Thank you for joining, and I wish your little one a full recovery!
Excellent thank you so much - and yea I meant a broken blood feather. Ok I will keep a close eye on him and will take him to an avian vet as soon as practical.
I will keep following this forum to make sure I learn as much as possible. Many thanks ❤️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Excellent, and you're most welcome!

An avian vet will most likely remove it to prevent further problems - a feather in that location is VERY firmly fixed in place and can be very painful to remove if not done by a professional, so it's best not to attempt it yourself unless the bleeding starts up and it's a case of pulling the feather to save the bird's life.

Just try to keep him calm and don't allow him to fly until you can get that feather seen to as the exertion may also start up bleeding again.

Wishing you all the best! 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts