Budgie Mutation Unknown

Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
20220113_162831.jpg
Hi everyone :)
This little budgie has recently flown into our home! We have searched for the owner but, with no results, we have decided to adopt him. We've named him Periwinkle and he is SO adorable!
Do any of you know what gender he is? (I think it's a male, but still unsure)
And what colour mutation he is? I haven't been able to find any other budgies like this, so I'm thinking he's pretty rare?
Also, I'm not certain if he's an old budgie, or just a new little baby?
Any information would be extremely helpful!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Like I wrote in the same thread - yes, he is male. And he isn't baby - it's impossible to say the age, except of "more than 6 months"

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hey there! I think I'd just give you a warning, cross posting(meaning making the same post multiple times) isn't allowed on this forum and may result in you post getting deleted, so just keep this in mind next time when posting :)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hey there! I think I'd just give you a warning, cross posting(meaning making the same post multiple times) isn't allowed on this forum and may result in you post getting deleted, so just keep this in mind next time when posting :)
Thank you Pippentiel, you are correct. :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
View attachment 35651 Hi everyone :)
This little budgie has recently flown into our home! We have searched for the owner but, with no results, we have decided to adopt him. We've named him Periwinkle and he is SO adorable!
Do any of you know what gender he is? (I think it's a male, but still unsure)
And what colour mutation he is? I haven't been able to find any other budgies like this, so I'm thinking he's pretty rare?
Also, I'm not certain if he's an old budgie, or just a new little baby?
Any information would be extremely helpful!
He's an adult male, violet clearwing spangle, I think. Or dominant pied clearwing spangle.

Anyhow, not super rare, I've seen a couple, but not super common.

Can you show pics of his setup? What is his diet?

OP
xXStrawberriEclairXx
Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
He's an adult male, violet clearwing spangle, I think. Or dominant pied clearwing spangle.

Anyhow, not super rare, I've seen a couple, but not super common.

Can you show pics of his setup? What is his diet?
Photo on 12-2-22 at 7.05 am.jpg

Here's his cage (Sorry for the bad lighting, lol)
I'm afraid it's a little on the small side, we were very rushed in finding a cage and this was all we could get. What would you recommend?
He eats a seed mix, pellets and a variety of vegetables (e.g. carrots, lettuce, zucchini, etc)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
View attachment 35662
Here's his cage (Sorry for the bad lighting, lol)
I'm afraid it's a little on the small side, we were very rushed in finding a cage and this was all we could get. What would you recommend?
He eats a seed mix, pellets and a variety of vegetables (e.g. carrots, lettuce, zucchini, etc)
It depends on how much time he spends in it. How much time?

Diet is great!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Well, on weekdays I have school, so he probably spends around 1.5-2 hrs out of his cage then.
And on the weekends/days off, closer to 3-3.5 hrs
So yeah, way too small. I also recommend budgies have at least four hours out of their cage each day. Budgies are highly active and just don't do well mentally from being cooped up. Here is a great affordable cage for budgies, I suggest you get it ASAP :)

It's actually really cheap for a cage, parrots cost a LOT.

Make sure not to have more than two dowel perches in there, use natural wood perches instead, and provide many toys, especially ones with paper and cardboard, budgies love that.

They can be a bit pricey, but that's just how it is.

OP
xXStrawberriEclairXx
Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
So yeah, way too small. I also recommend budgies have at least four hours out of their cage each day. Budgies are highly active and just don't do well mentally from being cooped up. Here is a great affordable cage for budgies, I suggest you get it ASAP :)

Make sure not to have more than two dowel perches in there, use natural wood perches instead, and provide many toys, especially ones with paper and cardboard, budgies love that.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into getting something like that. Actually thinking of getting another budgie too, so it was time for an upgrade anyway ;)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Very beautiful budgie!!!
Thank you for looking for his people. They are probably heart broken.
I too took in escaped budgie, and posted him on Facebook, sign in the neighborhood he was found in, on parrot 911 alert, at the vets office, and at animal control. Could not find his people so I kept him.

I hope this little one has a great second chance with you. And a long happy life. They are such charming characters.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

I've seen some reviews on this cage that claim their birds got killed by it due to metal toxicity😳

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I've seen some reviews on this cage that claim their birds got killed by it due to metal toxicity😳
Welp, I was looking at it for a while, and some reviews are great, but I see your point. Any cage with reviews such as those should not be gotten.

Thanks Pip!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OP
xXStrawberriEclairXx
Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
I'm not going to get that particular one; Amazon is not that reliable. I've found one in a store nearby, so I can look at it in person

Most Reactions