Budgie sick or just tired? First budgie

T

tweetybudgie

Tweety :yellow2: is 3-4 years old. She has always been VERY relaxed and chill often sleeping most of the day and playing more around night time. She'll sing sometimes and loves being scratched. She also molts very often, maybe every 3 months? I should have kept a log but never did.

My concern is that last week (Tuesday) she threw up whole seeds. She has not done it again but it made me pay attention to how she's acting. I think she just overate or ate too fast. For about two weeks she has been a bit stationary. Now I see more that she has been fluffed up all day even while eating and playing (which she does for a few minutes and then freezes as if she's catching her breath). She also seems weak and lethargic. She spends a lot of her nap time on both feet (which concerns me) but then, later on, picks up one foot and grinds her beak which she does when very comfortable. She has been more vocal now than she was a few days ago. Her droppings have also been very watery and strange, with very little feces (dark green) and lots of urine. She's eating and drinking for real (not pretending) and enjoying her calcium. I feed her an all-seed diet (Dr. Harvey's Parakeet blend) with added greens and vitamins in her water. For the past few days, she is finally voluntarily leaving her cage to play a little which to me is an improvement. I keep room temp between 21-24C (70-74F).

I don't know if this is sickness or a very bad molt that she's still recovering from. She started molting about 5-6 weeks ago and she lost a lot of feathers. Or if she just doesn't want to be bothered. Almost all her pin feathers are gone. Her eyes and cere have no discharge and her feathers look vibrant enough to me.

I will not take her to a vet because it's freezing outside and the closest avian vet is about an hour in public transit. I know Tweety and she will get worse if I take her. The vet doesn't do house calls in my area. I have my own personal position on vets and fragile animals so I will not take her to a vet, I am considering a televisit but am not sure what they could even do through that. I just hope she's not in pain.

Do you think she's sick? This is my first post so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Thanks.

Attachments

• poop.jpg
    poop.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 147
  • yesterday.jpg
    yesterday.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Day of vomit.jpg
    Day of vomit.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 171
  • November 29.jpg
    November 29.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 158

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes I think she is sick. From all of her symptoms, throwing up while seeds never normal, her abnormal droppings, being more quiet, and spending more time fluffed.

Veterinarian care is needed. I can provide some supporting care links, but they aren't a replacement for a veterinarian diagnosis and treatment. I'm sorry you have a sick birdie, and you are smart to be worried. Warmth, extra warmth is a huge help for a sick bird, I thi k around 85 f is recommended.

Your post was great, I'm glad you joined us, but wish it wasn't because of having a sick baby.

https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/s...of providing,temperatures ranging form 85-95F

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/sickbirdcare.html

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts