Budgies dont lay eggs

Michalis

Mar 7, 2018
Cyprus
Parrots
Budgies
Hi guys .. i have 2 pairs of budgies .. its 9 months old and yet ... no eggs ! I have them since octomber 2017 and still no eggs .. i am feeding them budgies seeds and fresh alfa alfa every 3 days .. is something wrong ??

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
At 9 months old your budgies are still maturing and shouldn't be bred until at least a year old.

Do you know for sure that they aren't related?

When were they last seen by a certified avian vet for a wellness check and to check for possible carried diseases?

Their diet should be expanded to include more veggies and variety. Give them the leafy greens every day if you can, try also a cuttlebone. You can also give them fruit.

Are you sure they are male and female? They should be allowed to mature before pairing and adding nestboxes. Have you observed any of them mating? Are they all in one single cage, or do they all have their own space?

OP
M

Michalis

Mar 7, 2018
Cyprus
Parrots
Budgies
Yes they are 100 % male and female!! Both couples. They have cuttlebone and they are clearbodies. I have normals pieds and at 5-6 months they breed .. 4 to 6 babies each time .. i have them separate by pairs. As i know they are not related .. its from different pairs .. so its normal to not lay an egg yet ?? As for the greens .. i will increase them

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes they are 100 % male and female!! Both couples. They have cuttlebone and they are clearbodies. I have normals pieds and at 5-6 months they breed .. 4 to 6 babies each time .. i have them separate by pairs. As i know they are not related .. its from different pairs .. so its normal to not lay an egg yet ?? As for the greens .. i will increase them

You really should not be breeding your birds at 5-6 months of age, they are basically still babies at that age. This is called irresponsible breeding and it is very frowned upon here on the forums.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Your birds are far too young to breed, it may kill the females. Plus, and don't take this the wrong way as it's only meant to be an education for you, you obviously don't know anything about breeding birds...So if you do breed them, and the parents refuse to feed or stop feeding the babies, or kick the babies out of the nest box, or start harming the babies, how are you going to take-over feeding them?

They may very well not be male-female pairs, as they are still young and you may not be able to tell.

***There is never ANY guarantee that any 2 birds you put together will bond and want to mate. It doesn't work that way. They may not want to bond with each other.

***If you have all 4 birds in the same cage with 2 nest boxes in the cage, this is called "Community Breeding", and it usually ends in heartache and a horrible mess. Often the adult birds attack each other's babies, and they die defending the babies, and the babies are often literally ripped apart...Plus, this can also prevent the adults from breeding. Each pair needs it's own cage and their own nest box totally separate from any other budgies.

That all being said, if they do start to mate and you have not been taught to hand-feed the babies properly (which will kill them), and you don't have all of the necessary equipment to do so with, like a Brooder, Hand-Feeding Formula, hand-feeding syringes, a candy thermometer, and the supplements necessary to treat the formula/babies in the case of crop-stasis, sour crop, yeast infections, etc., then you shouldn't be breeding them at all in the first place. All of this equipment and supplies should be on-hand BEFORE you even try to get them breed.

OP
M

Michalis

Mar 7, 2018
Cyprus
Parrots
Budgies
I didnt knew .. i have them on a flight cage .. and when i saw a pair bonding and pairing .. i am putting them together .. that is how i have worked untill now ..

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
You're breeding birds that are 5-6 months old? That's totally irresponsible and can easily kill your hens and result in horrible deformities in the babies. That's terrible, absolutely terrible sir, and I don't mean to offend you, but that's essentially the same as a human child that is 10 years old having a baby. They are still baby birds themselves, and you are forcing them to be together with a nest box to create early, artificial hormonal activity.

Please do not breed ANY birds until they are at the very least a year old, 2 years is better. That's asking for a slew of medical issues and dead budgies.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I didnt knew .. i have them on a flight cage .. and when i saw a pair bonding and pairing .. i am putting them together .. that is how i have worked untill now ..

Just because they pair off doesn't mean they are male and female -- two males can pair just as easily.

OP
M

Michalis

Mar 7, 2018
Cyprus
Parrots
Budgies
Its not always 6 months .. sometimes it was 8 .. but i felt strange that the clear bodies is 9 and yet nothing
. So i asked .. now i know .. staying at the flight cage untill 10 monthe to a year .. the then putting together and add a nest

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
not 10 months. 1 year MINIMUM

and take the nest boxes out of the cages of any birds under 1 year old right now

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Its not always 6 months .. sometimes it was 8 .. but i felt strange that the clear bodies is 9 and yet nothing
. So i asked .. now i know .. staying at the flight cage untill 10 monthe to a year .. the then putting together and add a nest

It's not really as simple as waiting until they are mature and then throwing a nestbox into the cage. What do you do when parents neglect babies and you must step in to help babies survive? Do you know what to do in an emergency such as parent abandonment? Do you know what a brooder is?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots

And hopefully buying ALL of the necessary hand-raising/feeding equipment, AND studying about hand-feeding/hand-raising babies, AND trying to find an experienced bird breeder/hand-feeder to mentor you and teach you...

I don't know why you're continuously breeding birds, Budgies of all things, as there are literally thousands of Budgies that need homes already, especially parent-raised Budgies who were not hand-raised or tamed. Look on Craigslist and count the number of Budgies who need homes. It's terrible. But that's your choice, not mine, and I can't force you to understand that what you are doing in unethical and unnecessary.

What I can do is tell you that you need to start doing it responsibly...and no, do not "pair" your birds up at 10 months, you've just proved that you've learned absolutely nothing from what we've just told you by saying that...

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Pita (Goffins Cockatoo) Misha, Cass and Sammy,Crowley and Ruby(Budgies),Tango the Mango(Sun Conure)
I would'nt be breeding. The only advice I can really give you is to seperate the birds and take away the nest boxes. Young birds and irrisponsible breeding is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Most Reactions