Budgie’s throat muscle was split open by cats nail

Apple84

Dec 17, 2020
So my budgie was injured by my cat, there was a lot of bleeding but he turned out fine, so he lost around two drops of blood and the choices are two options, we can put the bird under anesthesia and then stitch him up but the problem there is that there isnt enough skin to stitch it up, or the other option is to not do the surgery and simply wait for it to heal but with that the muscle will dry up and he wouldn’t be able to eat or do anything with his mouth in that matter and it would be permanent. He is currently under antibiotics to avoid sepsis from the cat’s nail. And also painkillers. This bird is going to be turning 8 years old and currently weighs 30 grams. We only have tomorrow before the muscle dries up.

Attachments

• B295E076-6D9F-44BF-92AF-CA3AA9F9AB03.jpg
    B295E076-6D9F-44BF-92AF-CA3AA9F9AB03.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 127

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
So my budgie was injured by my cat, there was a lot of bleeding but he turned out fine, so he lost around two drops of blood and the choices are two options, we can put the bird under anesthesia and then stitch him up but the problem there is that there isnt enough skin to stitch it up, or the other option is to not do the surgery and simply wait for it to heal but with that the muscle will dry up and he wouldn’t be able to eat or do anything with his mouth in that matter and it would be permanent. He is currently under antibiotics to avoid sepsis from the cat’s nail. And also painkillers. This bird is going to be turning 8 years old and currently weighs 30 grams. We only have tomorrow before the muscle dries up.

What an awful situation Apple! I'm assuming that your budgie was seen by a vet to prescribe the 'antibiotics and painkillers'?? I would do whatever the Certified Avian Vet recommends.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry. Gosh so awful...
I think surgery might be only chance. Guess it's what you and the vet think.....
I just don't see how it can heal without help, but I'm nit a vet...

I helped a budgie with a minor puncture to face..just recently, but it was nothing like yiur poor baby.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
20 /20 hindsight, it should have been sewn-up today.
Please be at the Avian Medical Professional's Clinic first thing in the morning!
Your Bird's life depends on it!

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Yeah, this isn't a wait and see sorta thing. Sadly this is a surgery or euthanasia situation. I wish your bird the best. Hopefully it isn't now too late to save him. At the very least you should put something on the site to prevent it drying out. Some wounds cannot be closed right away, that is true. But those wounds are not just left to have critical tissue "dry out" leaving permanant severe disability.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sorry to see such an injury. Were this my bird, I'd approve the surgery as it seems the only chance for healing and reasonable quality of life. Hoping for the very best, please keep us updated.

OP
A

Apple84

Dec 17, 2020
He didn't make it, the vet said he was very happy and energetic. He didn't even get to the anesthetics, it was the sedation that made him move on. He was sedated and I guess it was due to the shock and lack of blood is that made him very fragile.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
He didn't make it, the vet said he was very happy and energetic. He didn't even get to the anesthetics, it was the sedation that made him move on. He was sedated and I guess it was due to the shock and lack of blood is that made him very fragile.

I'm so sorry to hear that Apple. My heart is with you...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
What a terrible accident with a tragic outcome Apple84. I'm so sorry for your loss.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Oh no, Apple 84. :( I was so hoping he would be alright. My heart is heavy for your loss. Budgies are so small and delicate, despite their huge and wonderful personalities.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

I am so sorry, my deepest condolences for the loss of your budgie. Thank you for trying to save him, may his beautiful memories provide comfort.

Most Reactions

Latest posts