cages for Amazons

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Is it really necessary for amazons to have powder coated cages? I noticed all the powder coated cages are over 5' tall and add some more height if it's a play top. Are wire flight cages acceptable? They are less expensive.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I was thinking more like this because I like the shape. I am not saying that is what I am getting, just wondering why the wrought iron is the standard for amazons if wire cages will work just as well. FYI, all my birds are currently housed in wrought iron cages. They are just sooo huge. lol.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/32-Inch-21-Inch-Flight-Cage-Stand/dp/B00176ILNO"]Amazon.com: A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree with Wendy, I wouldn't put Rosie or Kenji in a flight cage. They are excellent for small birds, and the width isn't bad, but the depth of the cage is inadequate for larger birds. The wire bars can also be bent by a amazon.

You should check out ebay, you can find some great deals. I bought Rosie's huge cage (36" wide, 27" deep & 68" tall) for only $240(that price includes tax) with free shipping when it was listed for a close out sale. It was normally $500. Keep your eye out for deals ;)

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
The width and depth are fine, but I am trying to find something shorter in height. Any suggestions? I do shop ebay, but I am looking on CL as well.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I was thinking more like this because I like the shape. I am not saying that is what I am getting, just wondering why the wrought iron is the standard for amazons if wire cages will work just as well. FYI, all my birds are currently housed in wrought iron cages. They are just sooo huge. lol.

Amazon.com: A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand: Pet Supplies

Width and depth are not enough for a Yellow Nape. Minimum IMO should be 36 wide X 24 deep. And yes, those bars CAN be bent by an Amazon.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Hard to believe an amazon can be so hard on cages. lol. Money is not an issue just the designs of what are available. I guess another 30x40 cage is in our future. lol. I just wish they weren't 5 foot tall because most birds don't go to the bottom of their cage. I have never seen our blue and gold walk across the floor of his or go beneath the main perch.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Nah, Denise, you don't have to go THAT big if you don't want to. Let me do some "browsing" to see what I can find. Do you have a favorite color??? I can't attach eBay links, so those you'll have to find on your own. ;)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I don't think $500 for that size of cage is unreasonable. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Cages have gotten cheaper from when I got my first cage. Back then I only bought California Cages, which went out of business.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I usually go to bird fairs to purchase cages. Practically every month there is a bird show in Atlanta which is 1 1/2 hours away. From what I have seen, the only major brand is HQ and I really don't want to purchase another. I purchased a HQ 40x30 dome top for $329 + tax and it's nice looking. You aren't paying for the shipping when you buy at the fairs. Unfortunately, it's the quality of the paint, castors, and the gaps at the top of the HQ which bother me. If you scrub hard on the HQ, paint comes off. My other is a Kings 406. I would prefer another Kings, but at HQ prices. lol.

I plan on putting all my birds in the unused dining room because it has a southern exposure which gives it the best light and warmth all year. The room has two large cages in it already plus some furniture pieces. I was trying to get another cage in there without removing furniture. It's doable, but will look so cramped.

I prefer white or light colors so I can see the dirty areas which need extra attention for cleaning. Merlin's cage is white and the amazon's is light grey.

Last edited:
OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
When you got the A&E cage, was there a manufacturer's customer service number? Just curious how the cage business is operating these days. HQ is totally unreachable. I have heard some people being unhappy with the customer service with Kings too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When you got the A&E cage, was there a manufacturer's customer service number? Just curious how the cage business is operating these days. HQ is totally unreachable. I have heard some people being unhappy with the customer service with Kings too.

King's Cages customer service has ALWAYS been top notch for me. They are located less than 45 minutes from my house, I've visited their ENORMOUS warehouse on more than one occasion. :)

As for A&E, I don't remember whether there was a customer service number. I DO know that Bird Paradise stands behind them. My GF ordered a cage from them, and one of the panels was bent. Within less than 1 week they had shipped her a brand new panel.

Most Reactions