came home with 2 new budgies

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I woke up with a bit of a cold this morning. It's a beautiful sunny day here, so I decided to go for a drive to feel better, which led me to buy 2 budgies.

Nothing like buying a bird to make one feel good :D:D

I thought these two were pretty, especially the peri-winkle blue one. He has the richest colour of blue, it's gorgeous.
the other budgie is a female, and I thought was very pretty. I've always loved the turquoise/white combo.

my flock have already greeted them in their usual polite manner of acceptance.

one of my lovebirds, Smokey who is relatively new here, has already glued himself to the side of the cage and seems to be enjoying my new additions.

I named them Perry(for peri-winkle) and Icis

>>does anybody know the mutations of these two??.... I'm not really familiar with genetics for budgies<<

IMG_1513_zps2705e5fa.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

IMG_1517_zps4012aa3b.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

IMG_1526_zpscc4b0300.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/bmckellar735/media/IMG_1505_zpsaacbb59a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
SF Violet Blue would be my guess of Perry (he could be a SF Dark aka Cobalt too, but I'm basing my guess of violet off his tail feathers - they look purplish to me)

Icis should be a Clearwing Blue Clearflight Pied

My first budgie White Waters was a Dilute Blue and looked quite similar to Icis, only not quite as bright in colors and he wasn't a pied! I love the violet budgies!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Very pretty budgies. Congrats on the new additions. Imagine what you would have come home with if you had the flu:eek:. Sorry couldn't resist:)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Very pretty budgies. Congrats on the new additions. Imagine what you would have come home with if you had the flu:eek:. Sorry couldn't resist:)

ooohhhhh, I hadn't thought of that LOL!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
SF Violet Blue would be my guess of Perry (he could be a SF Dark aka Cobalt too, but I'm basing my guess of violet off his tail feathers - they look purplish to me)

Icis should be a Clearwing Blue Clearflight Pied

My first budgie White Waters was a Dilute Blue and looked quite similar to Icis, only not quite as bright in colors and he wasn't a pied! I love the violet budgies!

thanks Monica, can always count on you for genetics, your the best!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Awwww so pretty! Love the difference in colours : ) One dark vivid blue with dark stripes and the other pale! Ahhh love! :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I'd love to see some photo comparisons between a Cobalt and SF Violet Blue!

I don't have budgies anymore, but when I did, I took some photos.

Here's a blue hen (keep thinking she's a cobalt, but she doesn't look that dark to me - and no comparison shots with the other [dark] blue budgies)
P2210315.png

And her tail feathers
Blue.jpg

A Dominant Pied Opaline SF Violet Sky Blue Hen (she looks recessive pied, but she has the eyes of a Dominant Pied!) - two photos to show her different colors (shown next to a Dominant Pied Green)
c6d1e30d.jpg

34915fc5.jpg

And her tail feathers
SoraT.jpg

And a SF Violet Blue Hen (behind normal Blue Male [butt], Clearflight SF Violet Green [assumed, looks like Dark Factor, but came from same place as dark blue hen] - and the two hens shown in last set of photos)
e291a026.jpg

And her tail feathers
PurpleFeather.jpg

Never got any shots of the blue males tail feathers....

I have been told that the violet in the tail feathers doesn't mean anything (in regards to violet factor), but I don't necessarily agree!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Congrats and feel better. i LOVE budgies!!! This made me want to post an oldie (1996) and bad quality pic but, Percy my oh so beloved budgie with Pablo. (these two were basically my most precious animals i ever had, and their lives had an overlap). No disrespect for my awesome pets i have now, but these 2 were an amazing part of my life. And little Percy was EVERYONE'S best friend. My rabbit, my dog, and here, on my friend's lap. He was Mr. Personality.
37199_452124614706_3192588_n.jpg

kenzie

Mar 26, 2013
Congratulations! Your post made me tear up a little though. I once had a little periwinke budgie named Perry.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I'd love to see some photo comparisons between a Cobalt and SF Violet Blue!

I don't have budgies anymore, but when I did, I took some photos.

Here's a blue hen (keep thinking she's a cobalt, but she doesn't look that dark to me - and no comparison shots with the other [dark] blue budgies)
P2210315.png

And her tail feathers
Blue.jpg

A Dominant Pied Opaline SF Violet Sky Blue Hen (she looks recessive pied, but she has the eyes of a Dominant Pied!) - two photos to show her different colors (shown next to a Dominant Pied Green)
c6d1e30d.jpg

34915fc5.jpg

And her tail feathers
SoraT.jpg

And a SF Violet Blue Hen (behind normal Blue Male [butt], Clearflight SF Violet Green [assumed, looks like Dark Factor, but came from same place as dark blue hen] - and the two hens shown in last set of photos)
e291a026.jpg

And her tail feathers
PurpleFeather.jpg

Never got any shots of the blue males tail feathers....

I have been told that the violet in the tail feathers doesn't mean anything (in regards to violet factor), but I don't necessarily agree!

gorgeous Monica!, just beautiful:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts