Can a bird get blind?

joybhai

Jan 31, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if you could tell me if a bird can go blind by its own or by born. I have a ringneck parrot (Age is approx 6 years) who responds only from the right side. He cannot respond from the left side.

The visual of his eyes are exactly the same of both eyes. I was just concerned if he has any issue or not. Thank you in advance.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yes. Birds absolutely can be blind. Go check with a CAV if you’re concerned.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I hope you will stick around and join in. You never know what threads you might pick up good tips, or join in and offer yours

low vitamin A can lead to vision issues. As can a past head injury. Or I'm sure many other issues.

An all seed diet doesn't provide vitamins A or other needed nutrients. So they need to eat lots of veggies leafy greens and a few deep colored fruits and berries.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Low vit A definitely leads to vision issues. Kirby has slight cataracts in both eyes (as well as a host of other health issues) all caused by improper diet and nutrition. If this is a new issue and not something he’s always exhibited, it could very well be more recent in onset.

The good news is if it’s a nutrition-linked issue, you can prevent it from getting worse. Thirding the reccomendation to have them see an avian vet over this; they can also help set you up for success in the area of proper diet! Best of luck!

Most Reactions