Can a parrot be "hand fed tame" if I start hand feeding formula at weaning stage?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Re: Can a parrot be "hand fed tame" if I start hand feeding formula at weaning stage?

No, as a matter of fact, Stephen. :D

We found out that, suffering from atopia as she does, Roxy is a victim of gluten intolerance. Once we put her on a fresh, meat-and-veg only diet, everything improved, especially her nocturnal gaseous emissions. Sadly, I haven't quite found a solution for her sensitive skin yet, but I've been washing her with baby shampoo and that's helping. My aim is to get her completely off her daily dose of cortisone.

PS. 'Atopia' is the condition of being sensitive to lots of stuff. I have it, my kids have it and now our dog has it! Buggerit! So, we all have eczema, asthma, varying degrees of gluten 'disagreement', chronically itchy ear canals and hayfever like you wouldn't believe. Poor Roxy hates walking on grass (it makes her sneeze) and when she goes out to do her duty, she actively tippytoes over the lawn to get where she needs to go. She even folds her ears up and back so they won't touch the long grass at the edges of the garden beds. Poor baby! Our previous girl, Alice, developed atopia toward the end of her (long) lifetime, but Roxanne's probably had it since she was born. :(

I can always tell if someone has sneakily given Rox something like a crust off their sandwich or the edge of their pizza crust: within an hour, the atmosphere in our house will have turned green and really poisonous! :22_yikes:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Re: Can a parrot be "hand fed tame" if I start hand feeding formula at weaning stage?

I know I shouldnt, but..

Hahaha I love those type of signs and stickers... Although you know we won't just "get used to it"!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Now that's some funny stuff...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

That is actually my avatar on a brewing forum, used to have Einstein, but after my infamous "Zinc Kills" post and follow on well deserved roast, had to change it!
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Einstein

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

No, as a matter of fact, Stephen. :D

We found out that, suffering from atopia as she does, Roxy is a victim of gluten intolerance. Once we put her on a fresh, meat-and-veg only diet, everything improved, especially her nocturnal gaseous emissions. Sadly, I haven't quite found a solution for her sensitive skin yet, but I've been washing her with baby shampoo and that's helping. My aim is to get her completely off her daily dose of cortisone.

PS. 'Atopia' is the condition of being sensitive to lots of stuff. I have it, my kids have it and now our dog has it! Buggerit! So, we all have eczema, asthma, varying degrees of gluten 'disagreement', chronically itchy ear canals and hayfever like you wouldn't believe. Poor Roxy hates walking on grass (it makes her sneeze) and when she goes out to do her duty, she actively tippytoes over the lawn to get where she needs to go. She even folds her ears up and back so they won't touch the long grass at the edges of the garden beds. Poor baby! Our previous girl, Alice, developed atopia toward the end of her (long) lifetime, but Roxanne's probably had it since she was born. :(

I can always tell if someone has sneakily given Rox something like a crust off their sandwich or the edge of their pizza crust: within an hour, the atmosphere in our house will have turned green and really poisonous! :22_yikes:

Good to hear Roxy's gaseous output is under control. But I feel for her with her skin condition. I didn't realize she was on daily doses of cortisone. Poor thing!

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae

Hello, If I were to answer it would almost be amjokai 's post simply paraphrased. The only point I would slightly disagree upon is the warning that missing one feeding could be fatal. This would be under very unusual conditions with many other factors involved. This caution will cause unnecessary concern with new feeders. Life is very tenacious and will often survive many obstacles.

Most Reactions