Can I feed my macaws Palm nuts from outside?

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hi guys, I have a Harlequin and a Blue/Gold Macaw. I feed them pellets, fruits, veggies etc. I recently moved out of the beach and now we have a backyard with Palm trees. These palms are always producing greenish nuts. Id like to know if I can feed these to my birds with out the worry of poisoning them? We live in Miami so Palm trees are producing year round basically. I also wanted to know what local trees I should put into the Aviary Im building them? I know they will chew them up but I figure that if I give the plants a headstart growing maybe theyll start be able to survive the once or twice a week barrage of bird beaks LOL. Thanks

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I also live in Florida, and am surrounded by palm trees. I do not feed my fids palm nuts from outside, or any other fruit from local trees. I'm worried about possible pesticide either on, or in, the fruit/nuts. Also, pests (lice, mites, ticks), or bacteria, etc. from wild birds. Even though local wild birds eat these things, including Quakers, our birds do not have the built up immunity from various dangers that comes from living in the wild.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Thanks for the feedback Billsbirds. The pesticides would be absorbed into the seeds? That was my main concern. I take it Coconuts are out too? :-(

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I also live in Florida, and am surrounded by palm trees. I do not feed my fids palm nuts from outside, or any other fruit from local trees. I'm worried about possible pesticide either on, or in, the fruit/nuts. Also, pests (lice, mites, ticks), or bacteria, etc. from wild birds. Even though local wild birds eat these things, including Quakers, our birds do not have the built up immunity from various dangers that comes from living in the wild.

I am a bit confused about pesticides getting into palm trees. Aren't they super tall? How would the pesticides get up there? Do you live in an agricultural area?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am a bit confused about pesticides getting into palm trees. Aren't they super tall? How would the pesticides get up there? Do you live in an agricultural area?

I was actually wondering the very same thing. Yes, they are VERY tall as far as I know. :confused: Additionally, some local specialized bird stores offer palm nuts at ridiculous prices around here, so where would THEY get them from if not Florida/California?

I feed my birds rose hips from my Rugosa roses, which have NEVER been sprayed with anything, and they certainly love them. :)

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I live in Jacksonville Florida and I have tried to feed these palm nuts to my birds in the past, but they were not even remotely interested in them. Macaws eat a lot of things that would be very poisonous to us, in the wild with no problems. Why this is so I don't know. Also has anyone ever discovered why they eat clay from the banks of streams and what purpose it serves? Hyacinths in the Pantanel region eat almost exclusively a different palm nut than what we have. I hear Hys are very fussy eaters and most people have them eating Macadamia nuts, which they apparently like. Plax, maybe you can enlighten us on how your Hy likes other foods. P.S. none of my guys like coconut either (coconuts don't grow much farther north than West Palm Beach)

Last edited:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Simple surface absorption is not the only way chemicals can get into produce. Another way pesticides can get into any plants is through the soil. So it really depends on two factors: 1) if (and how) the soil is prepared and, 2) if water from human-assisted irrigation and/or rain has washed existing chemicals off of plant outer surfaces and into the soil below where such substances can easily be absorbed by the root systems. However, I have no idea how vulnerable palm trees in Florida or California may, or may not be to the above.

Alwese: Zaf is quite a finicky eater. In fact he only likes Macadamia nuts if they are the wet-in-the-shell ones. Among his favorite treats are unsalted cashews, whole grain bread with some peanut butter on it, and Harrison's Power Treats. Most other things he may take or leave, depending upon his mood.

Last edited:

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
According to the planet earth series, macaws eat clay to adorn toxins from the food they eat.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Simple surface absorption is not the only way chemicals can get into produce. Another way pesticides can get into any plants is through the soil. So it really depends on two factors: 1) if (and how) the soil is prepared and, 2) if water from human-assisted irrigation and/or rain has washed existing chemicals off of plant outer surfaces and into the soil below where such substances can easily be absorbed by the root systems. .

Thanks a million for the information, Plax. It certainly gave me piece of mind because I'm an organic gardener. :) Additionally, I only give out rosehips VERY sparingly and not often at all.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
According to the planet earth series, macaws eat clay to adorn toxins from the food they eat.
Yes, that's the theory. The minerals in the clay supposedly neutralize toxins that exist in certain plants. (I was going to comment on that but forgot.)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Thanks a million for the information, Plax. It certainly gave me piece of mind because I'm an organic gardener. :) Additionally, I only give out rosehips VERY sparingly and not often at all.
You're welcome, Wendy. I try to feed my guys organic produce exclusively. I have to admit, though, that non-organic things slip in from time to time :19: But I do my best.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Yes, that's the theory. The minerals in the clay supposedly neutralize toxins that exist in certain plants. (I was going to comment on that but forgot.)

Didnt also give them some minerals that can't be found in they're food? I read in a book about parrots a few days ago

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

Didnt also give them some minerals that can't be found in they're food? I read in a book about parrots a few days ago
Yes, I'm sure there are.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to skip the palm nuts although my yard has millions of the red and green ones :-(. Sticking to fruits and veggies from the market for now. Can you guys recommend any good macaw books? I have a few but am always looking to learn new things

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I feed the amazons palm nuts,both green and ripe . I have several queen palms in the back yard and harvest nuts often. I haven't tried the green ones myself but the ripe ones are sweet on the outside and taste pretty good. most of the zons love them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts