Can I have a parrotlet AND lineolated parakeet?

hevthehev

Mar 17, 2021
Hi guys!

I have a male pacific parrotlet (Wilson) who has just turned one, heā€™s very confident and friendly but can be quite sassy. Loves meeting new people and pets and talking to other birds on the phone but has never met another bird before.

I have been wanting to get another bird for a while and have done a small amount of research on linnies, I know about their giant poops and calmer temperaments (compared to parrotlets)!

I would obviously not house them in the same cage but would eventually be in the same room. I know you can never predict whether birds will like each other but I want to make sure Iā€™m not getting a species that is a really bad mix.

Let me know what you guys think Iā€™d love your advice! I have thought about another parrotlet too because he has so much interest in other parrotlets on my phone. But not sure whether thatā€™s a good idea or not? In an ideal world I would like a second parrotlet but my breeder is putting me off it a bit but not sure whether thatā€™s just because she doesnā€™t have any available currently!

Thanks in advance :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome.

I would wait until your parrotlet has gone through puberty and is well past it before getting another parrot, even another parrotlet. Puberty affects parrots so much and so much can change after.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Hi and welcome.

I would wait until your parrotlet has gone through puberty and is well past it before getting another parrot, even another parrotlet. Puberty affects parrots so much and so much can change after.

Parrotlets reach puberty between 6 and 12 months so Wilson has probably crossed that bridge.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I would just caution you to supervise them very closely if they're out together and don't let anyone land on Wilson's cage - parrotlets can apparently get pretty nasty and territorial. Mine (Bumble) has always been an only bird so I don't see a lot of that behavior, but there are stories of other, larger birds losing toes if they land on a p'lets cage and lots of aggression from our little sweeties.

Most Reactions

Latest posts