Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey guys!

I have a question, as the title states, can parrots see in the dark?
My budgies, cockatiels and quaker act stranded and scared if the lights go out and of course the budgies and cockatiels have had night frights before.

Yet my Green cheek Tom acts more than comfortable in absolute darkness, I hear him quickly go from perch to perch at night and then find his maraca rattle, he throws it then finds it again and over and over does this almost every night.
Sometimes he'll go to the cage floor and make his "OOOOoo inTeREsTInG" purr at me, despite not being able to see and waits for me to come over to him, since it's dark I use my phones screen to see him.

Maybe a stupid question but it sure seems like he has some visibility in the dark, has anyone else experienced this? With GCCs? Or any other parrot/bird species?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Somewhere I read that Bourkes have bigger eyes than other similar-size parakeets to see better in dark, so I guess yes, they see. Just some species may see worse and others better

Once time I heard Zenek eating after everybody went sleeping (all lights were off), so I guess he had to see what he was eating 😅

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think they have some level of night vision, as they're able to eat and drink at night. I would never be able to do that as my night vision sucks. I'd probably trip and fall.

This is a very intriguing question, thanks for asking!:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think parrots eyesight is much sharper than peoples so they can probably see more than we do at night. Like having a photo with more pixels, you would get a better picture in dim light from a bird eye than a human eye.

Also your parrot knows where everything is located in his cage. So he can find things at night easily just like you walking half asleep to the bathroom at night.

My birds always blow me kisses at night.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think parrots eyesight is much sharper than peoples so they can probably see more than we do at night. Like having a photo with more pixels, you would get a better picture in dim light from a bird eye than a human eye.

Also your parrot knows where everything is located in his cage. So he can find things at night easily just like you walking half asleep to the bathroom at night.

My birds always blow me kisses at night.
Yeah they can def see better than humans, they spot a beetle on the other side of the room way before I do.
Well only his food and water perches are steadfast, at least he know a perch will always be there, every other perch is moved frequently.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah they can def see better than humans, they spot a beetle on the other side of the room way before I do.
Well only his food and water perches are steadfast, at least he know a perch will always be there, every other perch is moved frequently.
I had a completely blind parrot who got around very well in his cage. He used his beak like a cane to feel in front of him, but I left his food and snuggly toys in the same place and hand fed him treats.

BUT he was very nervous and cried if he heard a strange voice in my home.

My Lucy was missing one eye and I think was getting cataracts when she passed on at 24. But I also left her things in the same spots on her cage and she did fine, too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Kakapos have more light sensitivity but worse visual acuity than other parrots. They have a very good sense of smell and have whiskers near their beak which may help them forage on the ground.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots have very kine eye-sight in bright sun-light and as light fades, so does their sight!
Their ability to memorize the location of things within confined spaces allows them to move around in places they know.
Total darkness: They have no vision what-so-ever, but in a confined place that they have memorized, they can move about.
Hearing and responding to their favorite Human does not require sight and yes, they will respond.

Parrot night vision compared to Human vision varies greatly on the Human as there are a number of conditions that can effect each Human separately. As a result, there is no clearly defined point to compare between Parrots and Humans other than to say, as a general rule, Humans can see in twilight were Parrots cannot.

That all said, Parrots can see UV where Humans cannot. As a result, in total darkness for Humans, a Parrot can see, 'if' UV is present.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Parrots have very kine eye-sight in bright sun-light and as light fades, so does their sight!
Their ability to memorize the location of things within confined spaces allows them to move around in places they know.
Total darkness: They have no vision what-so-ever, but in a confined place that they have memorized, they can move about.
Hearing and responding to their favorite Human does not require sight and yes, they will respond.

Parrot night vision compared to Human vision varies greatly on the Human as there are a number of conditions that can effect each Human separately. As a result, there is no clearly defined point to compare between Parrots and Humans other than to say, as a general rule, Humans can see in twilight were Parrots cannot.

That all said, Parrots can see UV where Humans cannot. As a result, in total darkness for Humans, a Parrot can see, 'if' UV is present.
And kakapos, having more light sensing cells in their eyes, can see more in lower light than most parrots, but not as sharply.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
In general, birds that have good vision in the day have poor night vision. Your parrot is probably very familiar with his cage and can respond to your voice even in the dark, but most likely isn‘t seeing you…

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Probably because they don't see as well when it's dark as they do in brighter light, none of my parrots ever liked being in full darkness. I've always had to provide a source of dim light at night, not too close to the cages. I now use a night light in the bathroom that shines just a tiny amount of light toward Ralph's cage and that makes him more comfortable at night.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Yellow nape has or appears to have the “best” night vision Of all my flock and Cockatiels the worst.
My African Grey also has poor night vision.
I am sure the Kakapo must have good night vision But I wonder how that effects there UV vision.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Agree, 'Boats, most species of parrots have very poor night vision, but they 'see' much differently then humans. THey have 4 cones in their eyes whereas we have only 3 (for the 3 primary colors and all the billions of combinations of those 3). I know Salty is not fond of dark. He gets very scared when we are in the car at night, the flashing car and street light really get him worked up. As a result, I lower him in the car so he cant see out and turn on the courtesy light.

Most Reactions