Ceiling fans

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
I have a cathedral ceiling in the bird room with a ceiling fan mounted at the Apex. I want to bring down warm air for the winter and would like to know if the air movement is dangerous to my birds. I would probably run it on low
Thank you

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The air movement especially on low would not be a concern regarding you're Parrots. The concern is the fan blades and a Parrot being hit by one. I will leave it to you to count the number of possible injuries or worst, death that it could cause.

When the Parrots are out, turn the fan-off. When they are in their cage, turn the fan on!

Cheers

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
You can actually get fans that are inside cages that look quite stylish- these are safe to use while the birds are out of the cage.

The warm air gently passing over the birds or circulating will not be a problem, it is cold air in cooler weather that is of a concern for birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You can actually get fans that are inside cages that look quite stylish- these are safe to use while the birds are out of the cage.

The warm air gently passing over the birds or circulating will not be a problem, it is cold air in cooler weather that is of a concern for birds.

I have used those enclosed fans! They work, but are a true pain to clean..

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Yes, ceiling fans whether open or enclosed build-up a layer of dust and need to be cleaned. The joy of the enclosed fan is that the enclosure must be removed cleaned and re-installed.

Love the Humor Good Friend!!
Am still confused! Isn’t this what high speed is for?

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
You never mentioned whether your birds were free flying or caged. If the latter probably OK as long as the breeze isn't too strong, if the former - FORGET IT - as David wrote before.

Most Reactions