chewing cage

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i cant figure out why, but for the past 2 weeks when i put the birds away for the night prince will cobstantly grab and pull at the cage bars. if i cover the cage he will stop but i cant cover the cage at 4.30pm.
im worried he will hurt himself.

any suggestions as to why he is doing this abd how i can deter ut?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
No suggestions Gemini, other than maybe it's like in old cartoons, where the prisoner grabs the bars & shakes, as if out of frustration for getting pinched.......

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Maybe putting them away at 4:30 is a bit too early? Just wondering why they are being put away for the night then?

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
Maybe putting them away at 4:30 is a bit too early? Just wondering why they are being put away for the night then?

hi chippy, they have always gone away around 4.30. the reason for this is i also have a cat who comes in for the night at that time.

they have plenty of out if cage time. i have injured my back so i am unable to work. i normally let them out at the latest 8.30 am and unless i have to go out they have free range of the house for the whole day.

this behaviour has only started in the past 2 weeks. this doesnt happen of a morning. i uncover them when i wake, normally around 6.30. this is when ill sit having my coffee, feeding the cat and giving him cuddles before i lock him out. he is fine during this time, its only in the evening. the cage is kept in the main room where they can see us and are still interacted with.

due to their destructive nature, their toys are rotated almost every 2nd day as they just destroy them so quickly. so i cant see it being out of boredom.

one thing i have just thought of... i had a 3 teir ladder swing in which prince and bruno would sleep on, but they have destroyed that. i have repaired it to a stage that it can still be used but there is only room for 1 bird on it and bruno has claimed it as his bed. oxy also has his own bed. so now prince just sleeps on a perch. could the fact that he doesnt have his bed be the issue? im currently waiting on the new one to arrive

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Thanks for explaining... I hope you didn't think I was being judgmental at all; I was simply curious. :)
It sounds like the bed might be the issue! Hopefully the new one will arrive soon and your birds will go back to being contented in the evenings!

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
nah no prob. i understand that not everu one is aware of my schedule and circumstanc3s

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
That's what I would do if I got locked in a cage while mama was sitting with the furry thing that is the reason I have to be locked in my cage, lol.

Hopefully all will settle down once the new bed arrives.

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
That's what I would do if I got locked in a cage while mama was sitting with the furry thing that is the reason I have to be locked in my cage, lol..

but thats how its always been, i have the cat since he was 4days old, he'll be 3 in october. if it was cause the kitty was new and changed thevroutine id understand. and as i said, i have an hr cuddle time with kitty in the mornings to and they see that too, so i dont think thats the prib..... hooing it is the bed issue

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
gem -- prob not the kitty -- i was just attempting some humor -- but yeah, i think u r right about the bed. maybe u can make something in the meantime if it's gonna be a while like a week til bed gets there.

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
so i made a temp bed for him last night. it pretty much stopped tge ripping at the bars, but caused a but of an argument between the 3 of who was going to get it. in the end everyones curiosity wore off and prince slept soundly on his new bed.

oh im sorry wanna be a parrot, i thought you may have thought kitty was a new addition that gas ibterupted the schedule.

Most Reactions