CITES and other regulatory permits

Jazzop

Aug 25, 2015
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
I am considering adopting a green cheeked conure from a young family that foolishly bought it from a breeder and then promptly learned they had to move. It is under 1 year old. Considering that I haven't acquired a new bird in the past 20 years, I haven't made it a point to keep up with the regulations concerning exotic birds. Should I be looking for specific documentation on the conure so that I can prove it was captive-bred?

I live in FL, and the conure was apparently obtained from a breeder in FL.

All the information I have found on the CITES, US FWS, and FL FWC websites seem focused on the import/export of a bird, not the general acquisition/ownership of one within the US. Although I don't have specific plans to take any of my birds out of the country, I do not want to be in a position where such a thing is impossible or overly difficult due to a simple lack of documentation that will be much easier to obtain now than in 10-20 years. It also makes sense to cover my bases if I choose to move to a state that extra layers of regulations.

Can anyone direct me to clear information regarding this issue, both for the conure which was recently hatched, and my Amazon, which was born in captivity in the US, then exported for a few years, and reimported around 2000 (I have USDA inspection papers for that event)?

I really want to be sure my flock is squared away.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm unaware of any North American CITES regulations that currently exist regarding documenting breeding conures.

That said, there are a few States and /or Cities that do not allow ownership of conures because they are classified as a pest.

At present, North America has specific requirements for Amazons, which require any Amazon three and a half years and younger to have Hatch Documents that meet CITES regulations.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
But how can anyone prove the age of a bird?

You can’t look at there teeth like you can a horse.

If I say I bought my Amazon in 2005 how can anyone prove I didn’t?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
But how can anyone prove the age of a bird?

You can’t look at there teeth like you can a horse.

If I say I bought my Amazon in 2005 how can anyone prove I didn’t?

Sadly, with government you are faced with proving that your Amazon is older. With the vast majority of us that regularly use our Avian Professional and /or have Microchipped our Amazons, we have documents to support our claim of owning an older Parrot.

Hey, I have had older Amazons all my life and when I first saw this, like you, I stated the same. You live much closer to the boarder with Mexico than I do, black market Parrots are far more common in your area. Proof of ownership is a requirement for all of us regardless of the age of our Parrots.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
That said, there are a few States and /or Cities that do not allow ownership of conures because they are classified as a pest.

Quakers/Monks, yes...but conures? I never heard that.

Maybe areas of agricultural California? Which kind of makes no sense when you consider how tiny the pet population is compared to those in the wild!

Most Reactions