CITES I parrots

IlikeBirds

Apr 10, 2020
If I were to obtain a parrot listed in CITES appendix I, in another country (not home country) would I be able to export/import said bird back to my home country? If there are no parrot breeders in the country with the type of parrot I would want, I would have to look at other countries. Import/export of CITES I animals is illegal, with exceptions (or so I’ve heard). Also I read that animals listed on CITES I that are bred in captivity are considered CITES II. Is this true? Can someone please elaborate on CITES I parrots, and import/export?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
It is true - all parrots bred in in capitivity can be export and import.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Discussions regarding CITES has to be very specific as to what Countries are involved. This results from the different level of enactment each Country has in place or will soon be in place.

As a general statement, when importing or exporting, that Country with the most strictest guild lines over-rules one with less restrictions.

Most Breeders (in this Post, large 'B' implies works within the Law and follows CITES guild lines in their Country) do not have an Export /Import License and must use such an organizations. The cost of both organizations plus shipping between the Breeder and Import /Exporter Transportation, plus International is Very Expensive!

NOTE: With the near World Wide Travel restrictions in place, plus the level of shutdown within many Countries, such a transaction is highly unlikely.

CITES Class 1 is fully respected by the vast majority if not all of North America and European Countries. The changing from Class I to a Class II is unlawful in those Counties. Sadly, there are Countries that are not following the Foundation of CITES Rules and are allowing this switch to occur. Anyone that knowingly purchases a CITES Class I Parrot and is found with documents that have allowed a switch will likely have their Parrot taken when entering a Country that closely follows CITES Rules.

In summation, A CITES Class I is a CITES Class I.

Last edited:

Most Reactions