clipping??

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hey guys!! i got a Bamboo 6 days back,:)D) and he is SO friendly!! he was sitting on my hand from the first day, and eats from my hand..... he is basically the sweetest little flutter:p but the other day, he got out of his cage while i was changing the dishes and he was so panicked!! i got seriously freaked:(. i tried making him "step up" but he just did not care!! i tried to show him treats and all but he wasn't interested. and then he found the window, and got stuck there. it took a hell lot of patience from me to get him in. since then hes been trying to open the door by himself, (and almost did it, too). he looked really sad inside, so i took him out. he was silent and didnt fly away from me but then he saw another bird at the window, and went there, and got stuck there... again. i had even closed the curtains i dont know how he manages to go there all the time:confused::confused: everyone says i should clip him, but im not sure.... plus, he doesn't trust me THAT much yet, so i don't know how the process will be for him. and yeah, there is absolutley no vet around here who even knew you could clip bird... help me out!! ( im so sorry this is so long, but i think you might wanna know. i had done tons of research before getting him, but its all flown out of my head:(:( im worried about him)

anyways, thank you so much guys!!
and thanks from bamboo too:greenyellow:

Last edited:
OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
flywire?? i havent heard of it:p. isint it something used in shoes?? well thanks anyways. im gonna google it:)

rosie88

Jun 10, 2013
India
Parrots
Naru - Fischer Lovebird
hey cassiepengo ,

for clipping i would suggest that you get him clipped just once as of now this will reduce the risk of him getting hurt by accidentally flying towards window and else where. also this will make him think he is a human and just has ability to walk on legs like we do and show him as much love as you can , this will result in bonding very soon and will develop a close relationship so that he will take you as a flock. and don't worry his wings will grow back in about 6-7 months and then he will not care for other birds s you will be his flock..let me know how old he is? and try finding a vet if possible..or any experienced bird owner..loads of love to bamboo and narus hi to bamboo..:)

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
man!! you are being so super nice!! haha!! well yeah, i did think i could get him clipped, but there is no one around here at all!! no experienced bird owner, and the vets around here dont even know that you can clip a bird(like i said:p). i would really want him to be clipped,but im too scared to do it myself!! and about his age, im not sure. he must be around an year or so. ive had him for almost 2 weeks now. anyways thaks!! bamboo says "hey" to naaru:greenyellow: lol!! thank you so much!! everyone is so nice around here!:)

rosie88

Jun 10, 2013
India
Parrots
Naru - Fischer Lovebird
U and I have the same problem no vet around here too..so i clipped his wings by the help of YouTube tutorials..but i was also very scared that time..and i am glad that it came out just fine for me...:)

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
I've never clipped a wing before, but I found this article which has some great information.

How To Clip Wings On Your Parrot, Cockatoo, Cockatiel Or Other Bird

One thing they mentioned that I wouldn't have thought of, is have an anti-hemorrhagic (styptic powder) handy before you start, in case you accidently cut a blood feather. As the article says "As a blood feather is like a straw when bleeding and the blood will really flow from a blood feather if cut which can be life threatening for your bird as they really don't have a lot of blood to begin with."

So I understand it being scary, but as long as you are aware of the risks, you're less likely to have problems. Plus, I have seen some hack jobs on wings that look terrible, but the way described in the article looks quite nice and neat.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Cassiepengo, just presenting a different point of view here, but why don't you wait just a little while longer and let your bird settle in before taking his wings from him? Six days is not a very long time in bird terms and he may well settle down in the next day or two anyway. During the getting-to-know-you period, it's very important to move slowly around your bird and speak in a low voice. This reassures him that nothing bad's going to happen when he's with you. Quick movements, lots of people and strange sounds going on will all frighten a new bird. I've had my Alexes for nearly a year now and they still startle when the woman next door puts her garbage out.

Please be aware I'm not telling you that you shouldn't clip: I'm just suggesting you wait before doing it in case things right themselves on their own. Bird ownership requires LOTS of patience and imagine how much cooler it would be to have a bird that chooses to fly to you rather than being forced to sit by your side? :)

rosie88

Jun 10, 2013
India
Parrots
Naru - Fischer Lovebird
I think cassiepengo, betrisher has a point..even i clipped my lovies wings after 2 months when he was used to me..!

Last edited:
OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
@betrisher
yeah, thats true. but its for his own good!! everday around ten, he has this "get out of the cage!!!!" session. he chews the bars, and hangs from the roof, all panicky. he somehow figures where the door opens from, and he screams and keeps biting the bottom near his cage door. he got out twice till now, and he always goes and sits on the window bars. its so hard to get him down. you have a point, but i cant have him fying around the house, and banging into windows. that guy is giving me headaches! :eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts