Close-up of molting green-cheek conure *reference*

bright_eyes

Jul 28, 2017
Parrots
Yellow-sided conure named Mazzy
[ame="https://youtu.be/BVd9_sMoOwo"]Molting green-cheek conure - YouTube[/ame]

My conure has been very very very itchy for a month, maybe more. She also started dropping feathers so I assumed she was plucking, or was allergic to something, or worse.
A week after this started she started showing pin feathers but not in all the places she was dropping feathers, and not in proportion to them either. A week or two after that they started showing up much more, just starting to bud out of her head and other places she'd lost feathers more heavily.
I realize that they must start getting itchy before they actually break through their skin, and so the cause of itchiness wouldn't be apparent for a little while.

She's still losing some every day, but it's not by the pile anymore. The dropping is on and off, and she's still really itchy.

It's so hard. I can't wait til it's over.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
You can offer Mazzy showers, baths or spritzes if she likes them? It will help her and soften the pin sheaths. Birds usually preen after a shower and will methodically work through their plumage.

Is she plucking or is it just a heavy moult? A moult is usually all over and not from just one area like plucking.

Is the room temperature a bit high? Too hot and they want to take their clothes off too.

My Plum is happy for his mum to help out with those pesky pins, just be a bit careful with the short ones or you will get told!

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yep a nice bath will help, also coming into the bathroom when you shower and getting some steam will help too!

Helping as plum said by giving soft rubs just be ready for them to tell you you're doing it wrong!

Most Reactions