Cockatiel or Conure?

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
I am considering buying a parrot but I don't know for sure what breed I want? I have been researching Cockatiels and Conures, Conures seem like they be more entertaining than a Cockatiel but I am reading a lot of posts here about their biting issues, that's funny because I watch conure videos on YouTube and they ALL seem so friendly? Don't get me wrong, Cockatiels are beautiful birds too, it just seems like conures have more personality traits than Cockatiels, am I right or wrong? Thanks

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
they are so similar it's hard to tell. I'd say gender is a bigger issue than the species choice. Conures are probably a little smarter. like 5 yo vs 3 yo. But as far as fun....basically even, the are both clowns.

Both are Whitty and able to learn. Cockatiels leave more dust.... Not sure if that is an issue. Make sure the bird chooses you, or you will be disappointed.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
In my experience, I own three cockatiels. They can be quite shy but still have attitudes, though they prefer more to sit on your shoulder or be more hands off than wanting to be cuddled all of the time. They are pretty dusty as mentioned above, most a generally quiet, my males can be kinda loud when displaying but only do so for maybe 20 minutes at the most; my female is very quiet.

The thing about conures is they're kinda like bipolar toddlers on crack. One minutes they're cuddly and sweet the next they're biting you for whatever reason they found valid. Not many people post the reality of their bird, most don't post videos or pics of their bird screaming or biting them. The way they act is going to fully depend on species, their noise level will also vary greatly. I own a green cheek conure while he's relatively quiet and sun conure or nanday are going to be much much louder.
Hope this helps šŸ˜Š

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
they are so similar it's hard to tell. I'd say gender is a bigger issue than the species choice. Conures are probably a little smarter. like 5 yo vs 3 yo. But as far as fun....basically even, the are both clowns.

Both are Whitty and able to learn. Cockatiels leave more dust.... Not sure if that is an issue. Make sure the bird chooses you, or you will be disappointed.
Thanks, yes I forgot about the dust, they say to most the bird daily, I would think that may bother them?

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
I am considering buying a parrot but I don't know for sure what breed I want? I have been researching Cockatiels and Conures, Conures seem like they be more entertaining than a Cockatiel but I am reading a lot of posts here about their biting issues, that's funny because I watch conure videos on YouTube and they ALL seem so friendly? Don't get me wrong, Cockatiels are beautiful birds too, it just seems like conures have more personality traits than Cockatiels, am I right or wrong? Thanks
All birds are lovely and equally quirky in their own ways! But depending on your living situation, one can be better than the other.

If you live an apartment or share walls with other people, you may want to consider a cockatiel over a conure. In my experience and others, cockatiels are much more soft spoken than conures depending on the species. If you are allergic to dust, cockatiels are much more dusty than conures. You should look into whatā€™s best for your living situation too and what you would want from the bird. For example, cockatiels are known for being pretty affectionate and clingy to their owners. If you want a companion that will always be with you, a cockatiel will be your best bet. Thatā€™s not to say that conures canā€™t be affectionate, but compared to cockatiels they may be lesser so.

As for the bitingā€¦ all birds can bite. However, a cockatiel will hurt way less than a sun conure. Luckily mine has never bit me but that beak is something to be aware of! Learning to be patient and reading a birdā€™s body language will save you from being bit and your bird will respect you for listening to them.

NigelTheCockatiel

Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Nigel
I Would Suggest Getting a Male Cockatiel they are very talkative and learn easily I have had Nigel for less than a year and he has already learnt how to...
Wolf whistle, Say PeekaBoo, Pop goes the weasel And Say Hi NIGE

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
In my experience, I own three cockatiels. They can be quite shy but still have attitudes, though they prefer more to sit on your shoulder or be more hands off than wanting to be cuddled all of the time. They are pretty dusty as mentioned above, most a generally quiet, my males can be kinda loud when displaying but only do so for maybe 20 minutes at the most; my female is very quiet.

The thing about conures is they're kinda like bipolar toddlers on crack. One minutes they're cuddly and sweet the next they're biting you for whatever reason they found valid. Not many people post the reality of their bird, most don't post videos or pics of their bird screaming or biting them. The way they act is going to fully depend on species, their noise level will also vary greatly. I own a green cheek conure while he's relatively quiet and sun conure or nanday are going to be much much louder.
Hope this helps šŸ˜Š
Thanks, yes I was thinking too that conures can be bipolar but didn't want to say it. Cockatiels are half the price of conures, so I can get 2 for 1 if I choose? I wouldn't want a bird to have to be bored by itself while I work

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks, yes I was thinking too that conures can be bipolar but didn't want to say it. Cockatiels are half the price of conures, so I can get 2 for 1 if I choose? I wouldn't want a bird to have to be bored by itself while I work
If you feel you can care for two then do so, but having two birds shouldn't replace human interaction. If you get two they may end up not liking each other and may need their own cage each then it would be more expensive.

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022

How can you tell if a bird chooses you, is there something that stands out good or bad?

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
If you feel you can care for two then do so, but having two birds shouldn't replace human interaction. If you get two they may end up not liking each other and may need their own cage each then it would be more expensive.
They could end up liking each other and wanting nothing to do with me, yes?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
They could end up liking each other and wanting nothing to do with me, yes?
Well, possibly, not always though, I have four budgies that live together and even though they prefer each others company, they do enjoy playing with me or training.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I well raised parrot will crave human interaction, maybe "well raised" is the wrong term. I mean more hand raised. It's so much easier if the bird is used to humans.

If you approach the cage and the bird is excited... that's a keeper. For reference see the end of this video, like the last 10 seconds, that's a bird choosing you. It's literally cheating.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
All birds are lovely and equally quirky in their own ways! But depending on your living situation, one can be better than the other.

If you live an apartment or share walls with other people, you may want to consider a cockatiel over a conure. In my experience and others, cockatiels are much more soft spoken than conures depending on the species. If you are allergic to dust, cockatiels are much more dusty than conures. You should look into whatā€™s best for your living situation too and what you would want from the bird. For example, cockatiels are known for being pretty affectionate and clingy to their owners. If you want a companion that will always be with you, a cockatiel will be your best bet. Thatā€™s not to say that conures canā€™t be affectionate, but compared to cockatiels they may be lesser so.

As for the bitingā€¦ all birds can bite. However, a cockatiel will hurt way less than a sun conure. Luckily mine has never bit me but that beak is something to be aware of! Learning to be patient and reading a birdā€™s body language will save you from being bit and your bird will respect you for listening to them.

How can you tell if a bird chooses you, is there something that stands out good or bad?
I stopped in petsmart for millit and stopped to look at the 2 gcc they had for sale... first one I looked at went bat shit crazy and retreated to the back of the enclosure
Second one ran up to the front and began to play with my finger and do summersaults across the front ...
It killed me to leave that day ...I thought about that bird for days ...I went back and bought it afterdays later.....after having it home for 1 hour I had it nappingin my hand (photo) ...I couldn't be happier with it...that bird definitely picked me...now to find out ...boy or girl šŸ˜

Attachments

• 20220715_084637.jpg
    20220715_084637.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 163

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If youā€™re worried about biting at all, Iā€™d say cockatiel over conure. Iā€™ve never owned a conure but know many folks who have and Iā€™ve been bitten by them - a cockatiel bite, even a really hard one, is at most a few muttered curse words and maybe a bit of broken skin. A properly pissed sun conure on the other hand can crack your fingernail, haha. I also think, and perhaps this is conjecture, that conures tend to be more ā€œbiteyā€ and mouthy by nature. Our tiel was usually very gentle unless we greatly upset him.

Cockatiels also tend to do really well as family birds - while they often do have their ā€˜personā€™ they can generally be sociable with everyone to some degree. This is important if you live with roommates or family members. Every bird is unique of course, but I know our ā€˜tiel was a cuddlebug and a goofball with tons of personality. We miss him every day. I am not sure if the same is true about conures; there are a lot of conure people here who can offer you advice in that area!

Tiels also have a pleasant whistling voice. While I could certainly hear Cricket from across the house, it was never too loud for me personally. We lived in a condo with him briefly, and our neighbor could hear him when the windows were open but let us know it wasnā€™t loud and that it only reminded her of the bird she had when she was younger. Conures, on the other hand, are rainforest birds and voices made to carry through the canopy. Their calls can be VERY piercing. Green cheeks and other members of the genus Pyrrhura tend to be quieter.

Now, that isnā€™t to say that conures are inferior birds. They can be very mischievous and clever, and they can be taught appropriate bite pressure so that when theyā€™re just playing they arenā€™t also making you miserable! All birds bite, so getting a cockatiel or budgie wouldnā€™t guarantee youā€™d be free from biting any more than any other species.

Obviously in the end it is up to you! Both species have pros/cons (the dust for cockatiels is A LOT, like, dandruff-commercial bad) and the best thing you can do is find a bird who seems to really connect with you, as others have said.

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
For one, you shouldn't get a bird based on entertainment value alone.

But to answer your question I got a conure 3 days ago. At first he was extremely bitey. but once you unenforce that behavior they really don't bite as much. Now, my conure really only bites when he is scared by my younger brother, or if he is annoyed or over stimulated. Conures are really sensitive to sound and loud noises. But in my experience conures can match your energy very well. If you're calm your bird is calm. If you're loud and exited your bird is loud and exited.

My original plan was to get a cockatiel but just ended up getting a conure instead and this was my experience. I still have plans to get a cockatiel one day, though.

Anyways, good luck with your bird adventures!

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
If you approach the cage and the bird is excited... that's a keeper. For reference see the end of this video, like the last 10 seconds, that's a bird choosing you. It's literally cheating.
I had a similar experience. At the pet shop I purchased my bird at I sat down on the ground and put my hand up to the glass. He walked down his ladder to come see me. that's when I knew he was the bird for me.

Below is a picture of my Kingsley at the pet store.

Attachments

• 30132247740066.jpeg
    30132247740066.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 90

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Cockatiels are fantastic birds, but conures have a special place in my heart. I have a GCC, Maddox, who is my best friend. Conures have such huge personalities and are known for being extremely affectionate. In my experience, cockatiels can be a bit shy and skittish, but each bird is different. When it comes to noise, it really depends on the conure. Suns are notorious for being loud, but green cheeks and black-capped are relatively quiet. Cockatiels kinda follow suit in the sense that they can make noise but are not overly noisy. Both birds are pretty small as far as parrots go, which makes them more manageable, and they have similar eating habits. For me, conures just seem more affectionate and playful, which convinced me, and I was not disappointed. Of course, I am not knocking cockatiels. They are amazing birds and make great pets, even for beginners.

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
That's what I notice about Conures, they seem more energetic and want to show off a lot, while Cockatiels are more laid back, nothing wrong with that, there's good points for both bird types

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Having had several species of conure and cockatiels over the 20 plus years of being a bird slave, I can say with confidence that conures are the crazy kids in the neighborhood. Especially Green Cheeks. They don't know their own size at times and aren't afraid of telling off something bigger than they are! Cockatiels are more high strung. At play time they're more reserved, however They freak out at a drop of a hat, though it varies by bird and, apparently, coloration. I've never known a conure to have a night fright. My conures might flip out, but not like the cockatiels. Then there's the dander issue with cockatiels (It's common to see a cockatiel rouse and dust fall off them like snow...). Conures can be nippier (especially green cheeks), but that can be gotten around with training. Conures and Cockatiels are both pretty curious birds. Both enjoy their toys and Conures and Cockatiels are great companions.

Good luck! :) I just read you got a Green Cheek. What a cutie! Congrats!

OP
T

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
For one, you shouldn't get a bird based on entertainment value alone.

But to answer your question I got a conure 3 days ago. At first he was extremely bitey. but once you unenforce that behavior they really don't bite as much. Now, my conure really only bites when he is scared by my younger brother, or if he is annoyed or over stimulated. Conures are really sensitive to sound and loud noises. But in my experience conures can match your energy very well. If you're calm your bird is calm. If you're loud and exited your bird is loud and exited.

My original plan was to get a cockatiel but just ended up getting a conure instead and this was my experience. I still have plans to get a cockatiel one day, though.

Anyways, good luck with your bird adventures!
No Not just entertainment value but behavior value to.. but what has been said many times before, every bird is different, so that's where I try to go by the species of the bird, if half of Conures bite for example, then you can say that Cockatiels are the better bird if you fear getting bit. A little clown that entertains you never hurts in your decision either, lol thx

Most Reactions

Latest posts