Cockatiel with abnormal droppings?

Amy-Milo

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cockatiel
So I have a male white faced cockatiel. Had him for almost a year now. This problem has been happening for a few months now. But when it first started it wasn’t so bad, he has been having droppings that are a brownish colour? A few months ago it was only like the odd one or two, but now it’s happening a bit more.
I don’t really understand why it’s happening I don’t know if it’s his lifestyle or something more serious, but I feel like if he was sick he would be showing more symptoms and something would have happened by now since its been happening for so long.
- i know he doesn’t eat a huge about since he is very fussy and he’s also a very nervous bird so getting him to eat new things is very difficult.
- currently has a seed diet because he is against trying pellets (still trying to get him to eat them)
- He is cage bound sadly, I open his cage everyday and try and encourage him to come out but nothing. So another thing I’m working on.
- He also loves shredding toys, and I genuinely think he’s eating quite a bit of paper, but I have been told that’s fine.
im not sure if any of that could be causing the colour of his droppings?
-He is also mostly active early morning or late at night. Not sure if that’s abnormal behaviour or not. My other cockatiel Wasn’t like that.
Would just like a bit of advice because getting an avian vet is very difficutl around here, and that last one made things worse when by budgie was sick.
Any help or advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 33

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you can detail exactly what he eats, and the types and colors of the paper he is destroying (eating?), it is going to help you get some suggestions.

OP
Amy-Milo

Amy-Milo

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cockatiel
If you can detail exactly what he eats, and the types and colors of the paper he is destroying (eating?), it is going to help you get some suggestions.
Well the paper he is eating is bird safe and it’s multicoloured, a bird shredding toy, and he just has a regular seed mix at the moment.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Reason I asked is that their poops can change color depending on what they are eating. Example, if I feed my Amazon red beets, his poops look like he is bleeding!

OP
Amy-Milo

Amy-Milo

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cockatiel
Reason I asked is that their poops can change color depending on what they are eating. Example, if I feed my Amazon red beets, his poops look like he is bleeding!
Yeah I was starting to believe it was the paper since his overall health and behaviour seems perfectly normal.
Now that I think about it, i think it did start happening after a few days of him having the shredder toys. I just don’t get why he is eating some of the paper…

it looks normal again today.

Most Reactions

Latest posts