Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I swear every day I discover something new with Buddy. In March of 2014 Buddy came to live with us after both of his owners passed away. I was able to trace Buddy's original owners and found out that he is 24 years old. For the most part, Buddy is mellow, he has his mood swings but is a lover and I have never had a bird that is so trusting and when with me he is less skiddish of things. If I'm touching something with him on my shoulder, he wants to touch it, lol.

Two weeks ago he decided that he has to come out of his cage every morning and sit on my shoulder. He's never spent that much time with me but now we make coffee together, check email, watch the news and other things like decorating the tree, wrapping gifts, all with Buddy on my shoulder, his choice. I still am awed that he's 24 years old, my longest living pet was my dog Festus, 17 years, growing up and now it's Buddy making me more comfortable to really bond with him because he's going to be around for a long time. Now that's a permanent family member for sure!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Buddy just looks like a sweetheart! Glad his personality has turned out to be such a perfect match for your family:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've told this story before. A friend of mine has her grandmother's DYH amazon. Grandma got the bird when she was 12 years old. Her father worked overtime to buy his daughter the bird she wanted for her birthday... (and told her that it would be disrespectful if she didn't take care of it properly.) Grandma had the bird for 56 years.

When Grandma died, her mother inherited the bird. Mom had the bird for 19 years, but it was bonded to her daughter. So when her daughter moved out, the bird was passed down to her like a family heirloom. (With the understanding that not taking care of that bird would be disrespecting the memory of her grandmother, mother, and great grandfather. This is a big traditional latino family... and that just isn't done!)

My friend has now had this bird for as long as her mother did. That bird is now around 94 or 95 years old... He's still with us. Despite arthritis and cataracts.

And, that's what you've got now! 24 isn't that old... Lila is now 42, and aside from being 10 grams overweight, she's in perfect health. I expect all of mine will out live me.

Someone on this board posted the other day that he has a CAG that's been with him since he was 5 years old... they really are lifetime companion animals if you take care of them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts